Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, great northern said:

Lovely morning at Little Bytham, where I saw my repaired J6 running very smoothly, and a selection of the locomotives Tony has built in the comparatively short time since I last visited. I don't know how he does it. The usual route is via A52 Grantham, horrible road, loads of traffic and hardly anywhere safe to overtake, and then A1 which is usually manic, before a few miles of rural quiet to LB. So, I decided to cut across country, and amazingly between turning off the A52 and reaching the A1 much further south, I saw only one other vehicle in front of me. The distance was about 28 miles!  And it took only ten minutes longer as well. The J6 and I arrived home well pleased.

At PN, we carry on watching Isinglass as it slows for the stop.

9632.JPG.12c73b87fb31f7e5f5a145571ef412bf.JPG

1631.JPG.3ebf9345e2fa12fd4df715bcebb2e217.JPG

Good to see you Gilbert,

Have you tried the J6 on PN yet? As I said, any problems, pleased advise.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good to see you Gilbert,

Have you tried the J6 on PN yet? As I said, any problems, pleased advise.

Regards,

Tony. 

Not yet, as I still had 7000 steps to do, which kept me busy for a while, and after that I sat down till dinner time.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, great northern said:

Now run, perfect, just as well and quietly as it did on LB.

Thanks Gilbert,

Any problems you encountered were because of the J6's bumpy ride to England from down under. Tony Weber's work was excellent, and all I did was just straighten a few things out.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Gilbert,

Any problems you encountered were because of the J6's bumpy ride to England from down under. Tony Weber's work was excellent, and all I did was just straighten a few things out.

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks for sorting it out Tony, be good to see it running on PN again, but it's sojourn on Little Bytham did bring a big smile down under!

Kind regards

Tony

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

New England's 61978 looks a lot more as it would have done in 1958.

As always, first class weathering. I only saw one K3, 61912 which, I think, was being used as a stationary boiler at New England.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, great northern said:

So, an arrival from Kings Lynn came in from the North, but, timetabled also to arrive at 8.35am, we have an arrival from March, also in that direction, but this one arrives from the South, via East station.

1016571.JPG.c03a814703deb92721fa49369e53d45a.JPG

The stock behind Doncaster Rovers is worth a look. Shortie BSK at the front.

11rake1.JPG.7e36ed05b38756c23819cc75218615d5.JPG

an all door second

12arake3.JPG.73cdc2e9b0fa54bcb701517afbd88d61.JPG

and another

12rake2.JPG.fb2250d942c7f62246de17e1bc6389bf.JPG

then a Composite.

14rake4.JPG.15b325ddf36567a366bde9a154179abf.JPG

and finally a non corridor second. Why there should be one non corridor in a rake of otherwise gangwayed stock I do not know, but that it what the CWN specifies. 

15rake5.JPG.f6eb259eb77f077e00e2431114da5032.JPG

I have all the Eastern region CWN save for the E. Lincs services, and this is the only mention of a non corridor coach in any of them.

They could at least have had a Semi Open Lav for 'convenience'. 

I have one Cleethorpes to Sidmouth and Exmouth SO, Summer TT, 1962 with a good old mix of MK 1s, Gresleys, Thompsons (all Gangway stock) and a Thompson NG Semi Lav at the 'west' end, making up the 11th Coach and thus Double Headed  from Bath to Templecombe !

It probably only happened once south and then once back north and Ivo Peters got a pic of it. Thus I will use that particular Train because it's ODD! Rather like yours here.

Your Train was a frequent/regular turn, whereas 'mine' was once a week and made up of almost anything they could dig up it would seem!

Such fun isn't it?

Beautiful looking stock there Gilbert; all Kits/Conversions no doubt, (apart from the NG)? 

Phil

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

They could at least have had a Semi Open Lav for 'convenience'. 

I have one Cleethorpes to Sidmouth and Exmouth SO, Summer TT, 1962 with a good old mix of MK 1s, Gresleys, Thompsons (all Gangway stock) and a Thompson NG Semi Lav at the 'west' end, making up the 11th Coach and thus Double Headed  from Bath to Templecombe !

It probably only happened once south and then once back north and Ivo Peters got a pic of it. Thus I will use that particular Train because it's ODD! Rather like yours here.

Your Train was a frequent/regular turn, whereas 'mine' was once a week and made up of almost anything they could dig up it would seem!

Such fun isn't it?

Beautiful looking stock there Gilbert; all Kits/Conversions no doubt, (apart from the NG)? 

Phil

The NG is one of a very nice set of three built for me by Ian Willets.......not long before Hornby announced theirs. Only 15 miles from March to PN, so perhaps lack of convenience wasn't that dire a prospect. All the rest is indeed kit built or conversion, two by our esteemed mate Mr Pearce, and the rest by Ian Willets.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, great northern said:

The NG is one of a very nice set of three built for me by Ian Willets.......not long before Hornby announced theirs. Only 15 miles from March to PN, so perhaps lack of convenience wasn't that dire a prospect. All the rest is indeed kit built or conversion, two by our esteemed mate Mr Pearce, and the rest by Ian Willets.

I thought I recognised that Willet Maroon. That three Coach set is one of my favourites on the layout; just looks absolutely the correct colour from my addled memory.

That Mr Pearce is a hidden gem isn't he. Loves fitting HInges and door bangers to all door Coaches I hear!

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Mallard60022 said:

That Mr Pearce is a hidden gem isn't he. Loves fitting HInges and door bangers to all door Coaches I hear!

P

Cheers Phil!   Door bangers?  Head banger more like!

IMG_6565.jpeg.4f493b358414522ff72665d02d54d190.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2