Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, great northern said:

Have we any experts on LNER/BR sleeping cars on here please? I'm getting a bit confused.

I’m not sure I qualify as expert, but I’ve built models of most of them over the years. What’s the question?

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

I’m not sure I qualify as expert, but I’ve built models of most of them over the years. What’s the question?

I've been trying to cross reference the WTT details, number of berths and weight, with the information in Longworth Harris and Parkin, but I'm not getting very far.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, great northern said:

I've been trying to cross reference the WTT details, number of berths and weight, with the information in Longworth Harris and Parkin, but I'm not getting very far.

Well let's take your favourite Summer 1958 WTT and taking the Aberdonian as an example, it lists the following sleeper vehicles:

• SLS, 28 berths, 35 tons;
  • 3x SLSTP, 22,43;
  • twin SLF, 19&20 berths, 62 tons; and
  • 2xSLF (SO), 10,43.

Looking at Harris, I take these to be (in order):

• A D95 or 109. Basically the same but I think D.109 had a wider body. This is the Kirk kit.
  • 3xD.368 (from the 22 berths) but could also be D.369 which had no attendant's cpt but an extra berth. I suspect they were listed as the lower number of berths to be on the safe side.
  • D18/19 or the earlier GNR equivalent.
  • Probably a Gresley D.157 or D.227 - the only difference was window spacing on the berth side. I suppose these could have been interchangeable with Thompson SLFs, but these had 11 berths.

Does that make sense?

Andy

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Well let's take your favourite Summer 1958 WTT and taking the Aberdonian as an example, it lists the following sleeper vehicles:

• 3x SLSTP, 22,43;
  • 2xSLF (SO), 10,43.

• A D95 or 109. Basically the same but I think D.109 had a wider body. This is the Kirk kit.
  • 3xD.368 (from the 22 berths) but could also be D.369 which had no attendant's cpt but an extra berth. I suspect they were listed as the lower number of berths to be on the safe side.
  • Probably a Gresley D.157 or D.227 - the only difference was window spacing on the berth side. I suppose these could have been interchangeable with Thompson SLFs, but these had 11 berths.

Does that make sense?

Andy

It does thanks Andy, but could you turn your attention to the 7.45 Aberdeen, which on Fridays had " 2 SLS 56 70." Was that poor second class passengers who had to sleep in their seats? This is the train I'm hoping to be able to run.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, great northern said:

It does thanks Andy, but could you turn your attention to the 7.45 Aberdeen, which on Fridays had " 2 SLS 56 70." Was that poor second class passengers who had to sleep in their seats? This is the train I'm hoping to be able to run.

Weren't there four berths per compartment in second-class sleepers before the BR Mk1s came along? If so, that would be two seven-compartment cars.

19 hours ago, lmsforever said:

Glasgow to Colchester thats a journey wonder if many did the full journey suppose some of people were military personnel but still long journey.

Interesting. I once caught the northbound train at Peterborough going to a Boys Brigade camp in Largs (coach from Glasgow). I think one or two coaches were prebooked for the whole party. It was probably about 1964. I did not get much sleep that night!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

• 3x SLSTP, 22,43;
  • 2xSLF (SO), 10,43.

Does that make sense?

Andy

Hi Andy

There are two D227s under construction for Gilbert.......I just need to be in the mood to finish them.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great northern said:

Gilbert,

That’s the same as the SLS listed in the Aberdonian. I.e. a D.95 or 109 as per the Kirk kit and I think Isinglass may now do it. The 56 capacity represents 28 per coach. These coaches were like continental couchettes with four berths per compartment (two each side) and were pretty basic with no mattress or bed linen.

You may also see reference to D.148 SLSs which were on 65ftunderframes and had 8 compartments so 32 berths and weighed 38 tons. They rode on heavy duty bodies whereas the shorter ones used ordinary bogies. They were slightly better equipped with a proper mattress - luxury!

Hope that helps

Andy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Andy

There are two D227s under construction for Gilbert.......I just need to be in the mood to finish them.

Clive,

Mine is nearing completion. It’s based on laser cut plastic sides from Roy Mears. The rest is cobbled together from MJT and 247 bits and pieces.

196514EE-B26C-414B-9B71-C67CAF6DB774.jpeg.f84de703b137bbfae7870846b66e2ece.jpeg

Note the different window arrangement compared to the D.157 (I made this by cutting and shutting Kirk kits). 

2F764D11-AC3E-47CD-AE86-108D88B53817.jpeg.47871c251c02d575132f8e8c963f24eb.jpeg

Andy

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Clive,

Mine is nearing completion. It’s based on laser cut plastic sides from Roy Mears. The rest is cobbled together from MJT and 247 bits and pieces.

196514EE-B26C-414B-9B71-C67CAF6DB774.jpeg.f84de703b137bbfae7870846b66e2ece.jpeg

Note the different window arrangement compared to the D.157 (I made this by cutting and shutting Kirk kits). 

2F764D11-AC3E-47CD-AE86-108D88B53817.jpeg.47871c251c02d575132f8e8c963f24eb.jpeg

Andy

Hi Andy

Ah, Looking at your models, it must be a pair of D157s then, being made from Hornby shortie sleepers. 🥴

Thinking about things I could alter one side to make a D227. 🤔

Over to the man himself. 👉

That is if he is talking to me. Well last night I suggested I could solve all his running problems by converting his layout to DC and loan him some Lima diesels. 🥊🥊

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Andy

Ah, Looking at your models, it must be a pair of D157s then, being made from Hornby shortie sleepers. 🥴

Thinking about things I could alter one side to make a D227. 🤔

Over to the man himself. 👉

That is if he is talking to me. Well last night I suggested I could solve all his running problems by converting his layout to DC and loan him some Lima diesels. 🥊🥊

D.157s are easier. I did attempt to build scratchbuild  a D.227 from plasticard, but it looked a mess. The corridor side is the same for both.

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, davidw said:

How does it compare with the Bachmann version.

I'll leave Timara to answer that, as she has been making comparisons all day. First thing she was leaning towards preferring Bachmann, but by the time she left Hornby was coming up fast on the rails.

• Thanks 1