Peterborough North

great northern

I remember, when still at school, I went on a trip from Bedford to Derby Works (Ian Allan, about 1962?). In the paintshop was a (I believe) brand new Standard 2-6-0 or 4-6-0. Freshly painted, possibly not quite finished, I don't know. What amazed me at the time was the amount of dirt, dust and footprints etc, on the running plate. I can't see anyone going round with a duster to clean that up before wheeling it outside and into traffic. I was comparing it to my Grandad's work; retired but part-time respraying cars and vans, they never got into that condition before being pushed outside. Fire that loco up, oil it and coal it, it would be dirtier. And as someone has said earlier 100 miles of soot from the chimney....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, great northern said:

The 4.25 Grantham is in number 4 bay. The rostered DMU having failed earlier, a J6 with three non corridor coaches has the job. The shorter than usual train gives  an opportunity I don't think we have had before.

615587372_142601.JPG.117e1db8a8d890db0dc43acaa8d26f59.JPG

All lies, he is making it up. He just wanted to run an ancient puffer. 

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 10

On 30/12/2022 at 14:14, great northern said:

Bachmann it is, but I don't remember what the donor was. Timara did indeed do the work you have described, but several years ago, and she has moved on considerably since then. I will see what she thinks, but I'll be surprised if she doesn't want to improve it somewhat. There's a photo of Sir Nigel Gresley a few posts back, and she has already asked me to let her have another go at that, as she feels it is not up to current standards.

I'm certainly up for that challenge!  Regarding 60007, I do recall all it had done to it, some ten years ago, was just a coat or two of Klear on the bodywork and that was it.  Mallard falls into the same category, though the third I did back then has since been properly done; I refer of course to 60013.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

All lies, he is making it up. He just wanted to run an ancient puffer. 

Absolutely not. I called the DMU up by keying in a number and got no reaction at all, nothing. Foreman wanted to hit it with a big hammer, but was dissuaded, so a replacement had to be found. I do wonder if it was the correct number though.😏

• Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

The next time there is a failed DMU, I feel there is a need of photographic evidence of the failed unit being dragged into PN behind a J6 or K2.

Paul

Thank you Paul, what an excellent suggestion. I have a strange feeling that it may not be long before a photographic opportunity of that kind occurs.

• Like 6
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great northern said:

Absolutely not. I called the DMU up by keying in a number and got no reaction at all, nothing. Foreman wanted to hit it with a big hammer, but was dissuaded, so a replacement had to be found. I do wonder if it was the correct number though.😏

I can always pop over with my DMU repair kit.

Mrs M says you can borrow her hammer.

Hammer.png.3bd701690a4124e3ff2b6a8bd57fced2.png

• Like 2
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, great northern said:

An unexpectedly sunny morning meant that I got a lot of running and photographs done, so back to two images tonight.  That gleaming A1 was followed by another local V2, also black under the coating of grime. This one has the 2.52pm Leeds, and is first see from Crescent Bridge, but looking to the other side this time.

2072458535_3frombridge.JPG.e36f8e2bf249d3521a2535dd7985757d.JPG

then we go back to the view from the Midland side, and the Station Road backdrop.

1842393666_4V2.JPG.fa9f666cb42044fd43c6e3f62a8741e1.JPG

The new houses work well as a backdrop in the second picture.

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, great northern said:

This one has the 2.52pm Leeds, and is first see from Crescent Bridge, but looking to the other side this time.

I really like this image, it captures so well those small areas which abounded alongside the steam railway where one had a glimpse of a passing train, usually too brief, to read the loco number. Very nostalgic in my view!

Kind regards,

Richard B

PS As to the DMU failure controversy, if the ER had run DEMU's instead of those mechanical monstrosities then the J6 would not have got a look in......

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Bloodnok said:

What's the second coach back? Looks interesting...

Cravens built experimental SO. Here's the corresponding FO:

c.1972 - Litchurch Lane, Derby.

Simon

Edited by 65179
Correcting detail
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, great northern said:

The 4.42pm arrival from Harwich brings a Cambridge B12 today, rather than the usual March engine. I doubt whether a Parkeston Quay engine would have worked the whole way through, and if it did it would have been a B1, so I will stick with B12s and B17s.

611516370_615761.JPG.13819456806fd82a15fb931a67909791.JPG

I feel that the houses, together with the lengthened bridge, make this a very worthwhile view now.

In the North bay we have a shabby B1 with the 4.45 local to Grimsby.

2009890263_71207.JPG.2a26e8ee684b515df9bac289803c606f.JPG

Good evening Gilbert,

Please check the rear bogie axle on the B12. It's lifted off the rails; probably not enough to derail it, those rear wheels just 'hanging in the air'. 

I seem to recall, on a previous occasion you photographed this loco (which I hope is still going well) that the rear bogie wheels were off the road.

If you can't see how to fix it (no more than a tweak on the bogie's pivot arm), then ask Timara, or I'll see to it when I'm over in a fortnight.

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Gilbert,

Please check the rear bogie axle on the B12. It's lifted off the rails; probably not enough to derail it, those rear wheels just 'hanging in the air'. 

I seem to recall, on a previous occasion you photographed this loco (which I hope is still going well) that the rear bogie wheels were off the road.

If you can't see how to fix it (no more than a tweak on the bogie's pivot arm), then ask Timara, or I'll see to it when I'm over in a fortnight.

Regards,

Tony. 

I seem to be doomed to failure when it comes to featuring your lovely locos Tony. I took great care with Gayton Hall this time, and thought I had done so with 1576 too, but of course when I look closely I see the problem. It will be seen again in a few minutes from now.