Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, mullie said:

I don't think we often see that type of view of a 4mt,  I do have a big soft spot for them. Really like both photos,  the finish on the A3 tender is superb. 

Martyn 

Quite right Martyn. I have been guilty of unconscious prejudice where Ivatts are concerned. It suddenly occurred to me that I take a picture of just about everything incoming from that angle, but never a 4MT, so I did. There's another one on the way too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Just to advise that The 00 Wishlist Poll 2022 is now 'live' - you should be able to see the link in the banner headline.

We have tried to include as many of the items you voted for within last year's Mini-Polls.

Enjoy the voting!

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Enjoy the voting!

I have done so Brian. Thanks to the Poll Team for all their efforts.

It is a while since I thanked Gilbert. Thanks for all your efforts Gilbert, they are just wonderful and widely appreciated. I hope you and yours have a very Merry Christmas and a Healthy New Year.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

Just to advise that The 00 Wishlist Poll 2022 is now 'live' - you should be able to see the link in the banner headline.

We have tried to include as many of the items you voted for within last year's Mini-Polls.

Enjoy the voting!

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

Brilliant as usual and I have done my deed (PLEASE>>>Bulleid D2406 MUST get thousands of Votes )

Pass on my best wishes to all the Team please Brain and have a good one.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Your comment about the colour of your walls in the railway room makes me wonder what colour, in retrospect you would now paint them?

Yesterday I was looking for an article in an old Model Railways magazine (edlt - 1974), and had a double take at a picture of a model of...Peterborough North. Flipped back to it and found it to be by IIRC Barnet MRC, and the article was about making the station buildings, which all felt so familiar!  They weren't bad either, but not up to Mr G. Train's superb models on your layout.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Your comment about the colour of your walls in the railway room makes me wonder what colour, in retrospect you would now paint them?

Yesterday I was looking for an article in an old Model Railways magazine (edlt - 1974), and had a double take at a picture of a model of...Peterborough North. Flipped back to it and found it to be by IIRC Barnet MRC, and the article was about making the station buildings, which all felt so familiar!  They weren't bad either, but not up to Mr G. Train's superb models on your layout.

I tried white card over the blue, and got the same result, the camera saw both as grey. It is photoshopping lattices that gives the greatest problem, as grey weathered signals on a grey background don't make for easy processing. Then I tried a sheet of yellow card, thinking that the contrast would surely makes things much easier, but it didn't, as I just got yellow margins round every lattice, which was just as much of a pain. The problem areas are at the ends of the room, particularly the Spital Bridge end, which is always in shadow, even with the improved LED lighting. I've considered LED strips at that end, but have been reminded that that will just deepen the shadows underneath the overhanging bookcases. I think I'll have to accept what I've got, unless anyone has any sensational ideas.

I've seen that article somewhere. Of its time, but good for that time. It may have been what put PN into my mind all those years ago.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Gilbert,

Have you considered having LED lighting underneath the bookcases?  That should eradicate the shadows.

Paul

It is the bookcases themselves which are the problem Paul. I can block off underneath, which I prefer to do anyway, because of the sharp curve. The LEDS would have to go higher, in order to give more light behind all the signals, but I can't do that, as I then wouldn't be able to pull up the blinds which hide the bookcases. If I pull the blinds up, I know from past experience that creates an even worse problem when photoshopping. I think all we could do would be to make the signals really smoke blackened, as black on white should surely work, but I don't want to cover  Graham's lovely work like that, and I don't think he would be very pleased either.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Pity, I like the view, it's different.

manna

Its the expanse of nothing under the bridge, and the sharp curve, that I don't like. I wonder if I could find a way of filling that space a bit?

The end of Spital Junction box should be visible, for a start, and the ends of a lot of wagons too.

• Like 1