Peterborough North

great northern

Another cracking shot, Gilbert. I'm not sure about the interlocking on that double-slip though... It doesn't seem to be set to protect the up main, unless maybe something is due out of the sidings.

I've just realised that I have a very tenuous link to P'boro, as someone in my class at grammar school went on to become the MP for that city.

170006199_12653.JPG.a3be089a779fb6833a29d0e11fdc4517 (2).jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, davidw said:

Do you know how many different coach consists you're able to build Gilbert?

A very quick count of the Saturday sequence, taking in just the main line expresses and stoppers, plus the E.Lincs expresses, gives a total of 118. Of those,14 are fixed formations in the fiddle yard and two cassettes. All the rest are put together from a lot of cassettes and loose stock. I can replicate almost everything from the CWN, though occasionally there are substititions, just like the real thing! 

There are limits, of course. Very recently, I made up the 1130 Edinburgh, which needs a lot of end vestibule seconds. Having moved it to Platform 6, I then found that the next Up train also needed seven of them. I don't have that many in loose stock or cassettes, and if I did, they would stand idle most of the time, so MK1s were substituted. The same can occur with brakes, so a three compartment car may have to run instead of a four. The whole thing isn't far off though. Its all a case of combining the desirable with the practical.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Another cracking shot, Gilbert. I'm not sure about the interlocking on that double-slip though... It doesn't seem to be set to protect the up main, unless maybe something is due out of the sidings.

I've just realised that I have a very tenuous link to P'boro, as someone in my class at grammar school went on to become the MP for that city.

170006199_12653.JPG.a3be089a779fb6833a29d0e11fdc4517 (2).jpg

My most often recurring mistake. I never seem to remember to reset the slip after I have moved stock in or out of the carriage sidings. Perhaps I should put a prompt on the Powerpoint, though that feels too much like hard work.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, great northern said:

A very quick count of the Saturday sequence, taking in just the main line expresses and stoppers, plus the E.Lincs expresses, gives a total of 118. Of those,14 are fixed formations in the fiddle yard and two cassettes. All the rest are put together from a lot of cassettes and loose stock. I can replicate almost everything from the CWN, though occasionally there are substititions, just like the real thing! 

There are limits, of course. Very recently, I made up the 1130 Edinburgh, which needs a lot of end vestibule seconds. Having moved it to Platform 6, I then found that the next Up train also needed seven of them. I don't have that many in loose stock or cassettes, and if I did, they would stand idle most of the time, so MK1s were substituted. The same can occur with brakes, so a three compartment car may have to run instead of a four. The whole thing isn't far off though. Its all a case of combining the desirable with the practical.

It's been a massive and inspirational task that you've accomplished. Any chance of a video recording similar to what We see of Little Bytham?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

25 minutes ago, great northern said:

Today's very good news.... maroon Thompsons. I can use a few of those.

We have the A3 captured from the other side of Crescent Bridge.

1038806747_6503.JPG.ad3b058cb91d1f9be30ff94e81b29ff4.JPG

and shortly afterwards from the opposite direction comes Golden Fleece with the 1018 KX-Leeds.

618427704_7301.JPG.07d06c453418a0e524719c810f5fcc0d.JPG

Maroon Thompsons at last!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, great northern said:

This second shot I tried in monochrome, and it comes out looking very much like the weather we had here today.

1997912288_211902.JPG.3cf36e0e60c539007c362acc400a3542.JPG

I looked at the second photo before I read the caption and thought "that looks as though the rain is just starting".  It is very good indeed, real atmosphere.

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

On 05/11/2022 at 09:13, great northern said:

Just a couple more shots of a well remembered V2. 60803 was March's favourite choice for the Newcastle-Colchester train, through Lincoln Central about 4.45pm. That was followed by the Liverpool-Harwich boat train, with a B17, so a few of us caught the school bus down the hill to the station, saw both , and then caught the ordinary bus back to be home for tea. it would be the same engines for weeks on end, but small boys are eternal optimists, and always hoped for something different.

1723942735_58033.JPG.f256b45c3b8988c034ea2adfeee5f406.JPG

1194703243_68034.JPG.4a083eb2004f56d2b140223f547c42fb.JPG

Hi Gilbert . Do you have any more information on the route of that train ? As far as I can tell it would have come off the ECML at Doncaster, gone across to Lincoln then down through the Eastern Counties to Ipswich then back down the Great Eastern Mainline To Colchester. My information is based on a 1960 time table so possibly it might have been re- routed at some point but I can’t see why a train bound for  Colchester would go from Lincoln to PN the double back on itself to the Eastern Counties and Colchester. Can you enlighten us ?

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, jazzer said:

Hi Gilbert . Do you have any more information on the route of that train ? As far as I can tell it would have come off the ECML at Doncaster, gone across to Lincoln then down through the Eastern Counties to Ipswich then back down the Great Eastern Mainline To Colchester. My information is based on a 1960 time table so possibly it might have been re- routed at some point but I can’t see why a train bound for  Colchester would go from Lincoln to PN the double back on itself to the Eastern Counties and Colchester. Can you enlighten us ?

Yes indeed. The Newcastle-Colchester didn't come through Peterborough. I was just explaining why I had the desire to run a loco I well remember from my youth on PN, and the weekend loans from March to KX, which are well documented, gives me that excuse.

• Like 1