Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, manna said:

G'day Folks

Told by some of the crews that worked on them, that they were no improvement on a B1 and the spares they had to carry at Top shed meant it was a good idea to get rid of them.

manna

Is that the innate conservatism of loco men coming to the fore again?  It does seem that anything that didn't originate from "their" railway was viewed with suspicion, and of course the Std 5 was based on an LMS design. The point about spares is a valid one though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, great northern said:

Time to reveal goodies, two of them today. The first of them is not a totally new addition to the fleet, but an amalgamation of two I already had, those being Gannet and Golden Eagle. Both were chosen partly because I like the names, but there has always been in the background the uncomfortable knowledge that both were wrong for August 1958, when Golden Eagle was in bits in Doncaster works, and Gannet had a single chimney, while mine had a double. I tried to convince myself that I've said that I will stretch to February 59, but it kept nagging away at me, as did the fact that both had weathering jobs that fell well below Tim's work.

So, some swapping about has occurred, and here is Gannet in its new guise.

833786998_1321.JPG.fbb9b94ae4281a2fabc70b077e6ad168.JPG

93765481_2322.JPG.0cd0012ff2ae8621a619908e1bbd4f63.JPG

By August 58 she did have a red backed nameplate, but was one of Top Shed's last two single blast engines, with a high mileage, and only a few weeks away from going in for a general. Not a top link engine then, and lower down the pecking order for cleaners, so that was Tim's brief for the weathering job, which he has done exacly as I envisaged. Very poor light today, so artificial light was needed and these photos don't do it full justice. 

What happened to the other parts of the two locos, I hear you ask? Or maybe not, but I shall tell you. They went to Sir Ronald Matthews, which engine you saw on here a few weeks ago.

Now the second goodie, which is a new addition. Some time back I saw a Hornby A3 Coronach brand new on E Bay, and at a very good price. It has one of Hornby's best attempts at BR Green. Well, you can't say no, can you? So I bought it. It has a double chimney and an A4 Dia 107 boiler, but I thought I could easily get round that. I have enough double chimney A3s, as there weren't many by August 58, and of those there were quite a lot were NE or Scottish engines. All I had to do was find a GN engine with single chimney and A4 boiler that I don't already have. It turned out to be far from easy though, and in the end the only real candidate was 60063, a Grantham engine. Again it had been out from shops for quite a while, so would not be as clean as some of that shed's engines. Pictures taken at the relevant time turned out to be elusive, so I found a good colour image of another engine which I felt looked about right, and asked Tim to do it like that, which of course he did perfectly.

1024944154_3631.JPG.98f7621d25e7b4a280df7a6489c60308.JPG

563111183_4632.JPG.5c364ef1ae345b94b7a3b10bdb564f3c.JPG

and that folks will be nearly the end of new Pacifics on PN, as I have neither the space to store them when not in use, nor the duties for them to perform.

Now I know who beat me to the bid....

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
On 12/09/2022 at 06:18, great northern said:

It is very rare for me to be able to tell you the names of any of the crews bringing trains through PN

One of my late father's favourite jokes (we didn't call them Dad jokes then) went like this.

Dad: "See that train? The driver's name is Entwistle."

Me: "How do you know?"

Dad: "Because his father's name is Entwistle."

• Funny 11

19 minutes ago, great northern said:

The 5.05 Newcastle-KX brings another local engine running through non stop to KX. Mons Meg this time.

1556567948_7504.JPG.e920279a6251b5adb19b204ce280dc00.JPG

This was taken on the 8th, after which I stopped playing trains, and left it where it was. The following day was not good for photography, but in the evening I decided to go and see what images taken after dark might look like now I have the new lighting. I never could stand the results with fluorescent lights, but here is what I got this time. The first one was taken using the daylight setting, as I normally do, but for the second I tried the daylight fluorescent one, which I haven't had reason to use before. I thought this might be no good with LED lighting, but got a surprise.

Here are the two, daylight setting first, daylight fluorescent second. I can't make my mind up which I prefer. What do you think?

1083300425_15041.JPG.1652af587a5d933b157947b01d50ba1b.JPG

IMG_6673.JPG.c93a50c63f9487bef991ee781928de00.JPG

Either way, I now think that evening photo sessions are more likely in future.

The second one as it has more warmth to it.

Andrew

• Agree 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

It’s good to see the sleeping cars again. Are they behaving themselves after Tony sorted out the couplings?

They are now fitted with pivoting intermediate Hunt couplings Andy, and that seems to have made them decide to behave impeccably.

Edited by great northern
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3