Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, ITG said:

As one who has lived in Peterborough for some 60+ years, I am constantly amazed, by the buildings on the layout. Yes, the trains are impressive, but I can imagine being back boarding a train to Manton  junction (near Oakham, IIRC) on a lads’ train spotting day out. And this forecourt photo reminds of attending discos in the early 70s at the George Hotel (now demolished), the smaller neighbour of the Great Northern, and probably close to where the camera is in this shot.

Ian

Thanks for those kind words Ian. As it happens, my next project is to get some low relief buildings done along the far side of Station Road. Photographs are very scarce indeed though. I took some of the then BTP building on the opposite corner from the hotel a few years back, but otherwise I have just one early 60s image to go on. That shows what look like houses going on down towards the bridge.

I didn't know about the George Hotel. Whereabouts was that situated, please? Any other information would also be very gratefully received.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Thanks for those kind words Ian. As it happens, my next project is to get some low relief buildings done along the far side of Station Road. Photographs are very scarce indeed though. I took some of the then BTP building on the opposite corner from the hotel a few years back, but otherwise I have just one early 60s image to go on. That shows what look like houses going on down towards the bridge.

I didn't know about the George Hotel. Whereabouts was that situated, please? Any other information would also be very gratefully received.

As you come down the approach road (approx same position now as was way back) to the station with the GN hotel gardens on the right, on the left corner as you enter the forecourt area, I can recall two buildings. The corner one may have been a house at one time, but I do remember for many years it as the Transport Police station. Next to it (or there may have been another building in between) was the George Hotel, round a slight bend towards below Crescent Bridge. In the photo link below (did you know about the Peterborough Images site; lots of railway photos), I’d say if you stood where the lampost is, looking away, you’d be roughly where the imaginary cameraman was looking at your GN / station forecourt area.

https://www.peterboroughimages.co.uk/george-hotel-st-leonards-street-1970s/

Edit…. Do you know, having looked at an online historic street map, if it as mentioned in the caption of the photo in the above link, maybe my memory was slightly warped. It says the George was in St Leonard’s St, which may place if slightly behind the GN. I shall continue to try to validate one way or another.

Edited by ITG
Added info

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, jazzer said:

They certainly were filthy at Stratford . I’ve even seen one arrive at LiverpoolSt from Norwich with a pot of paint thrown over the side ! Probably by some disgruntled spotter who was hoping to see  Clive Of India  hammering through Diss at nearly 100 mph .Nothing was loved and cared for at Stratford although the Brits looked better when they sent them all to Norwich.😄

No way would I be hammering through Diss at 100mph. I can't run that fast.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, ITG said:

Some indication of the row of buildings adjacent to Peterborough station in 1959. Oh, with Deltic I should mention.

https://www.peterboroughimages.co.uk/deltic-prototype-at-peterborough-north-1959/

I know the site well, and it has been valuable, but for some reason I cannot get to see any images at present.

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, ITG said:

Some indication of the row of buildings adjacent to Peterborough station in 1959. Oh, with Deltic I should mention.

https://www.peterboroughimages.co.uk/deltic-prototype-at-peterborough-north-1959/

Got the images now. Tantalising this, like may others, as it is cropped to show just the BTP building, which I know about, and just one other. There were several more.

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, 31A said:

Looks like the one to the right of the Hotel is what is now the BTP offices?

Yes, that's it. Here's my photo taken about ten years ago. Scanner chopped a bit of the roof off, don't know why.

BTP.jpg.221b0e11c36ba14bcbe5f859e5e89165.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

No way would I be hammering through Diss at 100mph. I can't run that fast.

I said Clive of India not Clive of Lincolnshire!
Anyway I am sure Mrs Mortimore gives Clive of Lincolnshire far more tender love and care than Clive of India ever got at Stratford 😍

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, great northern said:

Got the images now. Tantalising this, like may others, as it is cropped to show just the BTP building, which I know about, and just one other. There were several more.

Now Ive thought about, I reckon the George stood on St Leonard’s St, which ran behind both the GN and the BTP building; a street long since gone of course. The George was probably (almost?) directly behind BTP. Too far back to be in your scene.

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, ITG said:

Now Ive thought about, I reckon the George stood on St Leonard’s St, which ran behind both the GN and the BTP building; a street long since gone of course. The George was probably (almost?) directly behind BTP. Too far back to be in your scene.

Yes, I thought it was. Shame. Many thanks for your help.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jazzer said:

I said Clive of India not Clive of Lincolnshire!
Anyway I am sure Mrs Mortimore gives Clive of Lincolnshire far more tender love and care than Clive of India ever got at Stratford 😍

Oh I misread things again.

Boring bit, Clive is a surname which comes form the village of Clive in Shropshire. Robert Clive aka Clive of India made the name sort of popular as a first name. Some of unlucky so and sos have parents who think it is a lovely name. You can't get away with jack **** when you are the only Clive in the school or workplace.

"It was John sir"

"Which John?"

"The one with dark hair"

"Which John with dark hair?"

"It was Clive sir"

"Thank you, I get the blighter"

As for Mrs M giving me love and care......Stratford seems a nice place.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

60501, waiting with the Glasgow, is joined by 60700 with the 4.18 York and Hull.

Really good images Gilbert and two of my favourite locomotives although I preferred 60501 as a P2 as most people seem to do. Despite the Thompson re-build still an impressive looking locomotive.

Hope to get up to Darlington soon to take another look at the P2 recreation. Booked onto the first run, all being well!

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1

8 hours ago, great northern said:

60501, waiting with the Glasgow, is joined by 60700 with the 4.18 York and Hull.

804292373_12a501andw1.JPG.acde6c20b9e87f9b66a063694907a094.JPG

W1 now stationary too, but with 13 on it is going to have to pull up shortly. Quite a bit of shouting waving and possibly whistling going on, one would think.

1659754838_14W1.JPG.3ef4b34b5bd2f55e43e81b1033babafc.JPG

Hi Gilbert

Great set of photos, are the two locomotives Kit built or Hornby’s new creations?

Best Regards

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi Gilbert

Great set of photos, are the two locomotives Kit built or Hornby’s new creations?

Best Regards

David

The A2 is Hornby, but with a complete repaint. The W1 is a Tim build, from several years ago now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1