Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Are we still on Saturday, Gilbert?   I thought the Scotch goods didn't run on a Saturday, unless that had changed by 1958.

My WTT shows a Class C to Niddrie in the same path Jonathan, so I assumed it was.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, great northern said:

My WTT shows a Class C to Niddrie in the same path Jonathan, so I assumed it was.

You may well be right - it just happened that I had the LNER Society Journal this morning with an article by Owen Russell about the early days of the V2s and he explicitly stated that it did not run on Saturdays.   I'm taking him at face value, of course and there are 20 years there for the timetable or operating requirements to change, it just chimed at once, being fresh in my mind, when I saw your post.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, 31A said:

A pity that nice new engine is so mucky!

They soon were though Steve. There are comments in the contemporary magazines complaining that they were a poor advert for modernisation, and I can remember seeing them absolutely filthy.

D209 is a TMC limited edition from back in the days when a day with a temperature of 30c was considered to be scorchio, and made the news headlines. Clive has told me what is wrong with it as a model, and I know that it didn't come into service till October 58, and so is wrong for the summer timetable. Something may, or may not, be done about this in due course.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 18/08/2022 at 21:19, great northern said:

We have a view along the forecourt. With the overhead lights on, this proved to be a tricky one to process, involving drawing lots of freehand erasure lines along the outlines of buildings. Not easy, so I hope you enjoy it.

As one who has lived in Peterborough for some 60+ years, I am constantly amazed, by the buildings on the layout. Yes, the trains are impressive, but I can imagine being back boarding a train to Manton  junction (near Oakham, IIRC) on a lads’ train spotting day out. And this forecourt photo reminds of attending discos in the early 70s at the George Hotel (now demolished), the smaller neighbour of the Great Northern, and probably close to where the camera is in this shot.

Ian

• Like 6

On 18/08/2022 at 09:20, great northern said:

They soon were though Steve. There are comments in the contemporary magazines complaining that they were a poor advert for modernisation, and I can remember seeing them absolutely filthy.

They certainly were filthy at Stratford . I’ve even seen one arrive at LiverpoolSt from Norwich with a pot of paint thrown over the side ! Probably by some disgruntled spotter who was hoping to see  Clive Of India  hammering through Diss at nearly 100 mph .Nothing was loved and cared for at Stratford although the Brits looked better when they sent them all to Norwich.😄

Edited by jazzer
  • Like 1