Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Woodcock29 said:

The last coach was running a hot box and needed to be removed by the lovely little N5?

Not quite. The "Leading" BR Mk1 brake has run hot or failed the wheel-tapping test - a lot of that done at Peterborough North. The train engine "Minoru" has moved the failed vehicle to the bay while the N5 Pilot has backed on a replacement Gresley brake end coach. Now the N5 will get clear while Minoru recouples the train, does a brake test then gets on its way with a delay!

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Still “not quite”.
It isn’t Minoru that’s going to take the Heart of  Midlothian forward.

60517 is rostered to take over here (and fortuitously has managed to park out of the way to allow this particular manoeuvre). Did they know in advance?

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, great northern said:

Surely the driver would not have stopped at a box to relay the information?

I think they would.  You sometimes read about messages being thrown out wrapped round lumps of coal or restaurant car potatoes, but I think that would be too chancy for that kind of situation.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, 31A said:

I think they would.  You sometimes read about messages being thrown out wrapped round lumps of coal or restaurant car potatoes, but I think that would be too chancy for that kind of situation.

But how would the engine crew know the coach had a hot box ? Most of the time hot boxes seem to have occurred on freight trains and noticed by the signal man, presumably because it was smoking or something . In fact, I am not certain but fairly sure that it was part of the signalman’s job to look at for such problems as the train passed. It was certainly his job to check the tail lamp so that he knew the train would be complete.  The other thing is that I am also pretty certain that a hot box would have been stopped as soon as possible , not necessarily it first scheduled stop.

So my scenario is that the train had a 10 minute later departure from KX but Bill Hoole was driving so he had made the time up by PN but alas the leading coach couldn’t take the pace and was starting to run hot as they were slowing down for the stop at PN and the signalman at the last signal box before the station noticed the hot box and immediately notified the station  🙂.

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, jazzer said:

But how would the engine crew know the coach had a hot box ?

If the Guard became aware he could alert them by applying the brake.  But yes, it was part of the signalman's job to observe passing trains for such defects.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, 31A said:

If the Guard became aware he could alert them by applying the brake.  But yes, it was part of the signalman's job to observe passing trains for such defects.

Assuming it was a hot box then, would that become noticeable to the passengers in that coach?  If so, perhaps someone would have told the guard. Also, would a signalman who saw the defect contact another down the line to stop the train, thus allowing the station to be alerted?

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, jazzer said:

But how would the engine crew know the coach had a hot box ? Most of the time hot boxes seem to have occurred on freight trains and noticed by the signal man, presumably because it was smoking or something . In fact, I am not certain but fairly sure that it was part of the signalman’s job to look at for such problems as the train passed. It was certainly his job to check the tail lamp so that he knew the train would be complete.  The other thing is that I am also pretty certain that a hot box would have been stopped as soon as possible , not necessarily it first scheduled stop.

So my scenario is that the train had a 10 minute later departure from KX but Bill Hoole was driving so he had made the time up by PN but alas the leading coach couldn’t take the pace and was starting to run hot as they were slowing down for the stop at PN and the signalman at the last signal box before the station noticed the hot box and immediately notified the station  🙂.

Nice thought, but in that case there wouldn't have been a pilot ready and waiting with a replacement. As to stopping the train as soon as possible, I'd have thought that would be a last resort. If it was on a four track section where there was a Down slow rather than a Down goods, that could be an option, but to block the whole main line would be avoided unless absolutely necessary. Carrying on at reduced speed seems most likely to me, after a short stop to be informed of the problem.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Assuming it was a hot box then, would that become noticeable to the passengers in that coach?  If so, perhaps someone would have told the guard. Also, would a signalman who saw the defect contact another down the line to stop the train, thus allowing the station to be alerted?

It might have been noticeable to passengers, in which case they could have used the communication cord.

I have found the reference to "restaurant car potato", which was in Stanley Hall's book "Danger on the Line", which I had been topically reading as it deals with accidents caused by buckled rails.  But the 'potato' reference was in connection with the train fire near Huntingdon in 1951 involving on of the ex Streamliner twin sets.  The Guard suspected a hot box and wrote a note, then looked for a potato, couldn't find one and threw the note out anyway.  It was found the next day; Stanley Hall comments that it was lucky it wan't a hot box or the results would have been worse.

But the same chapter reminded me that it was also part of the enginemen's duties to look back along the train for signs of trouble.

This is mentioned in connection with another train fire, in the vicinity of Beattock in 1950 on a Birmingham-Glasgow express in which the fireman had recently looked back, and a nearby signalman had observed the passage of the train, and neither had seen anything, as the fire was within a coach which suddenly erupted into a fireball.

In both cases the trains were actually stopped by passengers pulling the communication cord, and the fires were exacerbated by the use of flammable materials including nitrocellulose varnish in the coaches.

1 hour ago, great northern said:

It would most likely have been a case of "Stop and Examine Train" on the block bell to the next box.  Then Control would have made whatever arrangements most appropriate.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On those parts of the National network that are still controlled by traditional Signalling, it is still requirement for the Signaller, (Signalman or Signalwoman), to observe the train passing to check for, “Any signs of Alarm.” 
As has been commented above a Hot Axlebox is very serious and can lead to a seized axle or worse a sheared axle. If smoke or sparks are observed, the train must be stopped.  Reports on the ECML these days come via staff who happen to be lineside or by a train travelling in the opposite direction.

I’ve stopped several trains in my time and I’ve attended a few incidents where eventually a Wheelskate had to be fitted to recovery the offending vehicle. 

Paul

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Here was me thinking the N5 was going to take the train forward due to the unavailability of a suitable replacement engine.....

Note to serious persons - this is a joke, based on my long term appreciation of Gilberts station pilot!

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

I really like the view of the grubby V2 from the bay, and the lady with the summery blue frock seems to be admiring the loco too, or perhaps it is a member of the footplate crew?

Who knows?

Kind regards,

Richard B

PS The "feather" of staining from the vacuum ejector pipe joint with the smokebox is very well done with the suggestion of air flow affecting the staining. Tim's work I suspect?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, 30368 said:

I really like the view of the grubby V2 from the bay, and the lady with the summery blue frock seems to be admiring the loco too, or perhaps it is a member of the footplate crew?

Who knows?

Kind regards,

Richard B

PS The "feather" of staining from the vacuum ejector pipe joint with the smokebox is very well done with the suggestion of air flow affecting the staining. Tim's work I suspect?

Yes, Tim's work. It is this kind of detail that he excels in more and more with every loco he does for me. I think that lady does like the trains, so much so that she seems to be rooted to the spot.

• Like 6
  • Funny 3