Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, great northern said:

Yes indeed, as has 60157. Tim did them some years ago.

Something else i keep meaning to get around to 🙄

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, great northern said:

Getting silly, only allowed three that time. I wonder what happens now?

Bogie weathering particularly effectve on E11130E, you can almost see the baked on brake block grime. A big job for the bogie bosh when it is overhaul time or perhaps it was out with the scrapers? Not sure if York had a bogie bosh? I suspect it did.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, great northern said:

The Up Scarborough Flyer brings one of Top Shed's finest.

394072286_28002.thumb.JPG.c52040c8c8f82a0c336d779647bf9c3b.JPG

294124509_38003.thumb.JPG.1b919610281156ff6f4cb44fe37be1b7.JPG294124509_38003.thumb.JPG.1b919610281156ff6f4cb44fe37be1b7.JPG

Lovely images as always thanks, I always thought that there should have been far more of the V2's named as well as more of the B1's, as for 60700 and 70047 and some of the LMS Patriots...........don't get me started!!!!

Rgds...........Mike

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ikks said:

Lovely images as always thanks, I always thought that there should have been far more of the V2's named as well as more of the B1's, as for 60700 and 70047 and some of the LMS Patriots...........don't get me started!!!!

Rgds...........Mike

Plates were cast for the W1 at various times in its life. British Enterprise and Pegasus. Neither were fitted.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I love the photos of the 1230 KX -NCL stock. The ex LNER stock is beautifully finished with some nice weathering on some (as already noted). Even the Kirk (?) BSK at the back looks presentable. 

The Mk1s, however, seem to have gone awry in the numbering department. The FK has a CK number. the SK has no number and the next one seems to have the number too high. Sorry if you already knew this, but perhaps one for Tim’s list?

Andy

Edited by thegreenhowards

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, ikks said:

Rgds...........Mike

Bit dangerous that. There are examples on another railway showing what happens when you try to name classes which were built in very large numbers, particularly where a theme is used. Even with the B1s, some of the same antelopes were used more than once.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

I love the photos of the 1230 KX -NCL stock. The ex LNER stock is beautifully finished with some nice weathering on some (as already noted). Even the Kirk (?) BSK at the back looks presentable. 

The Mk1s, however, seem to have gone awry in the numbering department. The FK has a CK number. the SK has no number and the next one seems to have the number too high. Sorry if you already knew this, but perhaps one for Tim’s list?

Andy

Oh dear, it happens again. Murphy's law rules. I numbered those MK1s, or in one instance forgot to, some twenty years ago. It is indicative of my idleness that I've looked at that SK many times, and still done nothing about it. So, I deserve the fact that it was that one, out of five I could have chosen from loose stock, which I featured in close up. I'm not so sure though that I deserve the FK, which was 4/1 against, or the other SK, which was 5/1. I confess that I also have some MK1s with the same numbers, as when I did them the choice was quite limited.

The LNER stock, or most of it, is professionally built and painted, and I agree that Kirk BSK doesn't look too bad.

Anyway, I thought you would skip things when we got to the MK1s.😀

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 13/07/2022 at 16:32, Oldddudders said:

And steam engine crews undoubtedly had greater job satisfaction than the diesel and electric chappies. 

I think this extract from  Clive Groome’s  diary after a run from Bournemouth on 35007 Aberdeen Commonwealth sums it up nicely:-

“It was lovely to be back on a steam engine after weeks of diesel training. To handle a Pacific like this one was a real pleasure. She accelerated better than any Crompton . She tore up the bank and maintained eighty five miles an hour effortlessly and endlessly, steaming freely with Frank firing nicely.To drive engines like this must be the summit of my life as an engine driver. No matter how hard I try to think of diesels as being quite interesting one trip on a good Pacific just make those thoughts hollow mockery and an exercise in self deception.”

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

Hope you're able to keep cool Gilbert. I know your houses aren't designed for heat like ours here in Oz. I expect its much hotter in the railway room than downstairs.

Andrew

True enough - but on the other hand many of ours aren't designed for cold!

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

Hope you're able to keep cool Gilbert. I know your houses aren't designed for heat like ours here in Oz. I expect its much hotter in the railway room than downstairs.

Andrew

It isn't just the houses that aren't designed for it though. I'm not either. Railway room faces due south, so yes, it was uninhabitable for the last two or three days. Sleeping has been very difficult, but it is 20c cooler this morning, thank goodness.

• Friendly/supportive 5