Peterborough North

great northern

On 11/03/2022 at 18:07, Tony Wright said:

Very natural,

Cylinder drain cocks? 15Amp fusewire.

One other point, if I may? In your splendid renditions using Hornby's A3 as a basis, have you thought of removing the top wiggly pipe on the side of the smokebox on the driver's side? In its wisdom, Hornby must have looked at A3s and concluded that it was fitted either side (it was, but only on the opposite side to the drive). Removing it from the driver's side is quite simple with a curved scalpel blade and tiny chisel, and weathering hides any residual marks. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Thank you Tony.  Funnily enough, I have indeed dealt with that wiggly pipe on the most recent ones, but haven't had a chance to revisit ones I did previously.  I'll get that sorted as and when, but there's only so much time.....  I'll see if I can deal with a couple when I'm there at the end of the month, if time is on my side!  I generally paint match with Humbrol 195, plus a touch of PP 1954 BR green.

Cheers,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/03/2022 at 09:32, great northern said:

Our next visitor was the borrowed 04/8, with the Little Barford empties. Unfortunately photoshopping round the signals in the far distance was far beyond my abilities, so I was going to bin this. However, I know some of you are rather partial to the 04, so I'll put it up untouched. If anyone feels they have the time, inclination and ability to shop it properly, they are welcome to do so.

The main content of that photo is so good, I had not noticed that the background had not been photo-shopped until I read it! That means that either the initial photo was excellent, or I am getting dementia.

Lloyd

On 12/03/2022 at 22:32, great northern said:

Our next visitor was the borrowed 04/8, with the Little Barford empties. Unfortunately photoshopping round the signals in the far distance was far beyond my abilities, so I was going to bin this. However, I know some of you are rather partial to the 04, so I'll put it up untouched. If anyone feels they have the time, inclination and ability to shop it properly, they are welcome to do so.

2047365583_1037852.JPG.d8ba34462a0db687a65a4a36dac604a4.JPG

On 12/03/2022 at 22:32, great northern said:

In a spirit of apology and reconciliation over my earlier insensitive actions, here below is a very quick 'photoshopping' of our O4/8.

67765_O4_1abcde_r1500.jpg.19bba28052a9bd97a81d7955ed15b579.jpg

I hadn't realised the pleasures of watching trains coming and going could be so beautifully presented as in this thread, Gilbert, thankyou. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, great northern said:

A careful stroll alongside the Down slow allows us to capture the Ripon just starting away towards KX.

1511001696_6a54again.JPG.5a4882a0be9b3b74e9f6e0b6a1426ac5.JPG

Off to Little Bytham today, to watch trains going faster than they do here. Much faster.

6a 54 again.JPG

And a good day was had by all, Gilbert.

1010157586_GeorgeGeoffGilbert02.jpg.0355ca34f87346bcf6187390a40ded3e.jpg

Thanks for popping over and tolerating my operating incompetence.

Regards,

Tony.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Gentlemen,

For those of us, like me, who do not know who these illustrious gentlemen in the picture are could you please enlighten us? I think I know that Gilbert is the gentleman on the right.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, great northern said:

The 1.20pm KX-Leeds/Bradford, a job for Doncaster's A1 Patrick Stirling.

435252478_7119.JPG.2c8eba1da384c3d1c753c99de4dc4373.JPG

While setting this up, I plonked the camera down nearby, and liked what i saw in the view finder, so here it is.

542724357_6gate.JPG.609c23eb2ba5ec3ac0d518c5646eea81.JPG

Bert's bike has fallen over, and the camera has bent the gate, but never mind.

It looks like Patrick Stirling’s nameplate is falling off.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, sandra said:

It looks like Patrick Stirling’s nameplate is falling off.

Oh dear, it is the usual story, I didn't notice it, but the camera did. Actually, i think this has fallen off before, so we will have to find something to stick it more securely.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, 30368 said:

Gentlemen,

For those of us, like me, who do not know who these illustrious gentlemen in the picture are could you please enlighten us? I think I know that Gilbert is the gentleman on the right.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Old fool on the right, as you thought, Geoff West next to me, and George Stephenson on the other side of the layout.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, great northern said:

Oh dear, it is the usual story, I didn't notice it, but the camera did. Actually, i think this has fallen off before, so we will have to find something to stick it more securely.

Hi Gilbert

I Do not for one moment want to try to tell you how to do any aspects of railway modelling.

But I do find the two part rapid Araldite is the best glue I have used for brass nameplates, works plates etc

just a vey thin line applied with a cocktail stick, the best part is any overspill can just be removed easily when fully dry again with the point of a cocktail stick.

Regards

David

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3