Peterborough North

great northern

Right. A Z (C7) is the most glaring omission so I'll go with that.

If in a post-covid world it is ever possible to complete another new build, a V (C6) as a two cylinder machine might be simpler and (reportedly) a better hill climber.

(But an original V please and not a V09).

This is not to say that an S3 (B16) wouldn't be lovely as well!

7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I don't know much about the NER but I would love to have seen one of those long-boilered 0-6-0s, whatever class(es) they were.

There is one. No.1275, previously in York, but may be moving to Locomotion.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Ah, I didn't read that bit as I am too lazy. My apologies, I shall go to the naughty step.

Is there a J27 preserved?

As I mentioned yesterday, compared to some pre-group railways, the North Eastern Railway is reasonably well represented in the preservation world, compared to some of the other companies. A good list here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locomotives_of_the_North_Eastern_Railway#Preserved_locomotives

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Sod that then.

T1, because it is odd.

P

Why should an NER T1 (LNER Q5) be seen as odd? Very useful 0-8-0 and direct precursor to the T2 (Q6).

For that why should an NER X (LNER T1) be 'odd' either? Very effective hump-shunting 4-8-0T.

• RMweb Premium

A well supported poll. 4 votes each for a B16 and a Class Z Atlantic, but 7 for the G5, which I think must win, as the fact that there is now a movement to build another does tend to show that a lot of people think it was a glaring omission in the first place.

Today, we will look at the Manchester Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway. Please note that the Great Central will be considered separately.

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I think it doesn't conform to photographic convention. The empty tracks in the middle, lovely as they are, lack punch when there is a distracting train at the right margin. And convention would say that the train ought to be either central, or one third of the way from the edge. 

Yes, I tend to that opinion Ian, but it seems a shame to lose all the detail on the left. This is what we get if I crop it to get the loco more in the correct place.

1673196367_3883.JPG.f6ccdf3c73eb7b9bef8a1fc64ccfafc4.JPG

To be honest, I'm not very keen on this either.

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Trains in the landscape are always interesting shots as they provide far more than simple 3/4 front and a bit of the train, I like them for that added context. That said the above shot manages both within closer confines and does show the scale of PN.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, great northern said:

A well supported poll. 4 votes each for a B16 and a Class Z Atlantic, but 7 for the G5, which I think must win, as the fact that there is now a movement to build another does tend to show that a lot of people think it was a glaring omission in the first place.

It's more than a 'movement' - it's being built!

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, great northern said:

Yes, I tend to that opinion Ian, but it seems a shame to lose all the detail on the left. This is what we get if I crop it to get the loco more in the correct place.

I definitely need to check that signal when I visit next, Gilbert. I know we checked the 'straightness' but, for whatever reason, it's throwing everything else out photographically. Should be a relatively easy adjustment.

Should be a progress update for you soon on the new signals. They now have arms!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

I definitely need to check that signal when I visit next, Gilbert. I know we checked the 'straightness' but, for whatever reason, it's throwing everything else out photographically. Should be a relatively easy adjustment.

Should be a progress update for you soon on the new signals. They now have arms!

I suspect that your signal is the only thing which is straight, Graham.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great northern said:

To be honest, I'm not very keen on this either.

Gilbert,

I prefer the second photo, but better still would be the more traditional front 3/4 view taken a little to the left of your viewpoint for this one. Having said this variety is the spice of life and I know from Gresley Jn. that it gets boring taking the same view again and again. So go with both alternative views from time to time.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Tough one this - both 6A and 6C are worthy candidates as are 9D and 9Hs - J10 under LNER and BR ownership, but I'm plumping for 6C (later J12), known to their owners as Bulldogs. It is alleged that they were only withdrawn because of the large number of RODs the LNER had bought, but magnificent Victorian outside framed 0-6-0s and we certainly don't have many of those kicking about,

Cheers,

Alastair

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I live a few hundred yards from the trackbed of what was the MSLR Welsh outpost. I use it regularly for exercise but the  only motive power there now has two or four legs. I am clueless as to what the MSLR might have ran or whether it may have have been worthy of preservation. However, I await the poll result with interest and promise to look it up in order to further my knowledge. :) 

• Like 1