Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

So many to choose from, as well as those mentioned so far - Foss Islands and Cliff Common at each end of the DVLR; Battersby; Ryhope Grange; anywhere on Teesside; but in the end I too am going for Market Weighton.

• Like 1

I agree that Market Weighton has a lot going for it. 

Then I started to think about other options. Whitby West Cliff was interesting with the steep climb to the coast route. 

Finally I settled on another Junction with a steep climb, more of an up and over really, Malton.

• Like 1

Don't know much about this area so I'll go for Market Weighton as well. Missed yesterday's poll as I was too engrossed in England surviving against and then defeating Pakistan but I would have gone for Grantham as well.

• Like 1

On 08/08/2020 at 09:26, great northern said:

Still on the goods workings, as both coal going up and empties coming down are pushed through before the expresses get going. We've found a new vantage point to look at the WD.

10_246_high.JPG.d1f39c52c55c62c434e408d587b09869.JPG

and there's an 02 going south.

1180025677_12a39832.JPG.1fe234c324891eda6a72f78310fbcf8a.JPG

That wiggly ladder will be fixed. I'm not saying when, but it will be done.

Morning Gilbert

Thats a great photo of the WD passing the signal box, weathered to perfection.

Regards

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Less interest this time, only 10 votes, 4 of which were for Market Weighton, the clear winner.

We'll go down south again today. Country junctions in the south west of England. And no arguments about what constitutes the south west. Even if we haven't been there, surely we have seen pictures of some lovely settings in that part of the world?

Halwill Junction, on the Southern's 'withered arm'

image.png.b7b2322ef431a21bef30daee05b76992.png

(from disused stations website)

It was here that the line from Exeter (via Okehampton) split three ways (northwards to Padstow, Bude and Barnstaple). As a result, there was a lot of splitting and combining of trains at the station, including the famous Atlantic Coast Express (ACE). Perfect excuse for big locos; small trains!

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

It was here that the line from Exeter (via Okehampton) split three ways (northwards to Padstow, Bude and Barnstaple). As a result, there was a lot of splitting and combining of trains at the station, including the famous Atlantic Coast Express (ACE). Perfect excuse for big locos; small trains!

Yes, that says everything about delightful rural railways. It would need plenty of space to model correctly though at least in width terms.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

How right you are. Another vote for Halwill please. In that pic, the point rodding on the left had to be moved in the '20s to allow construction of the North Devon & Cornwall Junction platform, that being the Barnstaple route, built by Col Stevens. My layout includes almost all the track layout shown here, except for the yard. The splitting and joining was exactly what attracted me, with running round and shunting of loaded passenger coaches. And some trains in peak periods were 9 or more coaches long. My last trip through there was 1965, just over a year before closure. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Country junctions.... Even if were just to get most of the readers of this thread scurrying for their railway atlases, the devil in me wants to vote for St Dennis Junction or Burngullow Junction, possibly even Tolcarn Junction. 

However, common sense prevails and my vote goes to Par, still seeing the same kind of traffic that it always did - ie buckets and spades and china clay.

• Agree 1