Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

I think we will abandon this poll, as it attracts little interest. There was as much about mud as there were suggestions about branch lines. Only four nominations, all different.

One suggestion was that we should discuss Titled Train Names, so I'll try that, and we'll start with pre war names, looking for the best and most evocative. Or have you just had enough of polls altogether?

That is interesting as there are so many seaside locations around East Anglia.

Titled trains, now that does pose a good question, I know it won't win but the East Anglian. County of Norfolk in the original  large logo livery or City of London with its streamlined bodywork or a nice blue 1500 or a 2000 whistling as it tore through the East Anglian country side. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

The Atlantic Coast Express, a name coined by an employee - who I believe later lost his life in an accident - did attempt to do what it said on the tin. But by the time it got anywhere near the Atlantic it was on single-track branches of essentially gentle speed. If only the present incumbent ran trains fast from Waterloo to Salisbury and then fast to Exeter, though............

Yes, I will go with Atlantic Coast Express. It has a certain ring to it even if it was from the 'other firm'... ;) 

I think the issue with the polls about lines was that you have to know the areas. For instance, the only thing I know about the M&GN is that it stands for Muddle and go Nowhere and it's trains occasionally appear on PN and Little Bytham. Or if someone mentions St Ives to me I immediately think of Cornwall but there is another one somewhere in....erm, Cambridgeshire.... :) 

But generally the polls are fun in these frustrating times. a little thing to look forward to each day. Thank you Gilbert.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

Yes, I will go with Atlantic Coast Express. It has a certain ring to it even if it was from the 'other firm'...

Of course, as Trevor and others know, in our parallel universe it runs not to Padstow but to Pentowan, which is on the proper job railway.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

A good morning so far. The duvet now seems to have realised who is the boss round here,

Gilbert

I just read this and it reminded me that I should have changed the duvet cover as soon as my wife got up. Thanks for reminding me! Your regular duvet battle reports do have their uses.

Lloyd

• RMweb Gold

Another vote here for the recent plonks, I’m enjoying them all, but the one of that water tank, just wow!  That is one hell of a structure and shows Peter’s immense skills.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, trw1089 said:

Another vote here for the recent plonks, I’m enjoying them all, but the one of that water tank, just wow!  That is one hell of a structure and shows Peter’s immense skills.

I did a close up too Tony, so this seems a good time to put it up.

26_ruined.JPG.f1f5a46ec64b80936554d658aa745b8b.JPG

This really is how it looked in 1958. We have the photos.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Certainly a better (safer) thing than changing it before she gets up.

That engineering training really has fitted you out well to cope with the practicalities of life, hasn't it?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, great northern said:

I think we will abandon this poll, as it attracts little interest. There was as much about mud as there were suggestions about branch lines. Only four nominations, all different.

I'm sorry, I've not contributed to many of the polls as there have been so many to choose from I've been unable to make my mind up!  But have enjoyed reading what other people have written.

6 hours ago, great northern said:

One suggestion was that we should discuss Titled Train Names, so I'll try that, and we'll start with pre war names, looking for the best and most evocative. Or have you just had enough of polls altogether?

Hi Gilbert

Just before you close it down, appropriately with the words closed down I nominate The Withered Arm in particular the branch line to Padstow.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
Spelling

• RMweb Premium

We were promised a storm this afternoon, but it hasn't shown up. However, tomorrow morning is forecast heavy rain for nine hours. Guess who was supposed to be playing golf in the middle of that?

Here's something with a loco in the picture. Nora and Sam the stuck down porter carry on nattering, completely oblivious to the ghost J3 passing behind them.

683309885_12aJ3.JPG.82326b86c66e3d2fa314d977bdd97c01.JPG

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, landscapes said:

... in particular the branch line to Padstow.

We walked past Padstow station this morning - now isolated in a(n unusually empty) carpark.

I have never been able to work out why there is a railway milepost attached to the frontage of the pub, across the harbour from the end of the railway line - I can only think that the harbour, now the property of the Padstow Harbour Commissioners, was once owned by the railway.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

I've just looked at the weather radar and I'm guessing it's arrived now, as you're all red?

Yes indeed. It snook up on us within about five minutes of my post. My only excuse is that for weeks now the weather has come from the East instead of the West. I automatically look where I always have, but it is actually coming from the other side of the house, where I can't see it. It didn't last long, but there was a bit of bang crash stuff, and it deposited plenty of water.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

We were promised a storm this afternoon, but it hasn't shown up. However, tomorrow morning is forecast heavy rain for nine hours. Guess who was supposed to be playing golf in the middle of that?

Gilbert mate,

How many weeks couldn't you swing a club? How many weeks without rain?

Not saying there is a connection but.........

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

The Scarborough Flyer for me.  Always liked the name as slightly anachronistic and clever, given it was probably marketed more to Joe Public than other trains, so wasn't an "express".