Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, bigwordsmith said:

Trust you to throw controversy into the pot DuckMeister!

I always thought there was nothing wrong with them that a good pony truck wouldn't improve!

Loved them at Paddington. If I'd wanted to be a complete arse I would have posted this

image.png.7fff612016d8bc9c16c678cbc88370ee.png

• Like 4
  • Funny 4

12 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Loved them at Paddington. If I'd wanted to be a complete arse I would have posted this

image.png.7fff612016d8bc9c16c678cbc88370ee.png

I too happen to like them - I'v even got one - how on earth do you get away with that as well as a WC and  terrier on a Scottish themed layout - maybe I'll pretend its a preservation railway - Steam Train Britain in miniature!

Edited by bigwordsmith
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, great northern said:

Afternoon tea has been delayed as I was in a queue which was waiting to get into another queue on Ocado. I got there in the end.

We have the first of the Down Cleethorpes semi fasts at Platform 3, and yet another Ivatt in the bay. This one has LMS stock for a change, but unforunately it is not visible.

953092593_11130andIvatt.JPG.3ea6ae6e4eee4514a25033375595fe2d.JPG

The White Rose then passed through, sans headboard, as it pinged off somewhere when I last tried to remove it. It will turn up, but only after I have bought another, if I do.

209895096_2119WhiteRose.JPG.993922014dd13af3741e7b4ca729cdd2.JPG

Lovely pictures, as always Gilbert.

However, it looks like PATRICK STIRLING's offside nameplate is about to 'ping-off' as well!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Lovely pictures, as always Gilbert.

However, it looks like PATRICK STIRLING's offside nameplate is about to 'ping-off' as well!

Regards,

Tony. 

Yes, that's the second one. Both of Great Central's have already fallen off. John Houlden's glue doesn't seem to be passing the test of time, and mine, as usual, has solidified since I last used it.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, bigwordsmith said:

Trust you to throw controversy into the pot DuckMeister!

I always thought there was nothing wrong with them that a good pony truck wouldn't improve!

....and painting over that horrible copper bit on the chimney.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

As for 0-6-0Ts, my favourite is definitely the J50, but I can’t claim that they’re graceful or attractive, so I think I’d go for SECR ‘P’ class - put it down to my indoctrination working on the Bluebell Railway!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Duvet lost on a submission in the second round. Varied selections for the 0.6.0T. They interest me, in that the criteria I set were attractive/graceful. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so I suppose we are now seeing what some of us find attractive.:jester:

The first of our morning tea accompaniments is another experimental shot. It is another which I don't think comes off.

That's why I haven't shopped it properly. Then we have a diesel shunter taking a trip working down from New England to East sidings.

1043326272_609.JPG.45db72f7d55352244dac911767b69f87.JPG

I'm not sure whether this should display lamps or discs, can someone clarify for me please?

Hi Gilbert

Standard BR 350 shunters had four lights arranged in the steam loco headcode positions and the appropriate lights would be illuminated displaying the headcode. If shunting the outer two lights each end would switched on, one would be displaying a white light and the other a red one. The red coloured lens was stored in the lamp housing and could be fitted when required.

The earlier LMS design class 11 (and a few BR 08s) only had two lights each end so would have carried lamps displaying the headcode. The lights would be switched on when shunting.

On a sunny day an 08 or class 10 would require lamps to be fitted to display the headcode as their lights were not very bright. I know that feeling.

As for the best looking 0-6-0, what else than a class 11 350 hp diesel shunter.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gilbert

Standard BR 350 shunters had four lights arranged in the steam loco headcode positions and the appropriate lights would be illuminated displaying the headcode. If shunting the outer two lights each end would switched on, one would be displaying a white light and the other a red one. The red coloured lens was stored in the lamp housing and could be fitted when required.

The earlier LMS design class 11 (and a few BR 08s) only had two lights each end so would have carried lamps displaying the headcode. The lights would be switched on when shunting.

On a sunny day an 08 or class 10 would require lamps to be fitted to display the headcode as their lights were not very bright. I know that feeling.

As for the best looking 0-6-0, what else than a class 11 350 hp diesel shunter.

Thanks Clive. Mine is a Class 10, is it not? It is a very early Bachmann one, so I don't know if it would have working lights with DCC? In any event, as it is always sunny at PN, it would have to display with lamps? I can do that.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

0-6-0T? Stroudley's E1, thankyou.

Sorry OldD but give me an Adams G6 any day!

Kind regards,

Richard B

PS Tangential Alert!

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great northern said:

Oh dear, I forgot the mid afternoon images, mainly because I did a very long walk on such a lovely afternoon. Anyway, here's one now. Yet another WD, so I tried something higher level and with lots of crop.

1036399786_7WDhigh.JPG.1d6d0bb3985af02a017ddf88341893fa.JPG

I really like the higher level views. I know they’re not as lifelike to real railway photography, but they allow us to see the train behind the loco much better and give a good overall impression of the layout.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3