Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon tea, following a walk on a footpath, where three times I was nearly hit by speeding cyclists. Social distancing, and the fact it isn't a cycle path don't seem to matter to them. Rant over, and here's an image. My heart sank when I looked at it, for once again we have a problem, bent rather than missing this time. I have by the way since found the loco and put it straight.

Clearly, I don't notice these things at the time, and I will always go for overall impression, rather than fine detail. These things "should" be right, but I have learned from my mindfulness course that "should" and "ought" are not words which necessarily rule one's life. Does it ruin the photo for you? If so. I shall be more careful in future, provided I can find the bits which have fallen off.

Just another Ivatt waiting to go back to the M&GN, but I liked the way the coaches of the departing train to the right  framed the picture.

1709977316_4Ivatt.JPG.f9a3925d5774f9d211ee017c70a88b3d.JPG

• Like 18
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, great northern said:

Anyway, with our cup of tea this morning we shall view some more experiments, as we watch the B1 on its way from angles we have rarely, if ever, seen before.429563468_51282between.JPG.f8cf794b6212abd3a371c97320fa4cba.JPG

861330192_61282leaviing.JPG.3ba8f5244ee748a1d613b07fbeea1712.JPG

1661229383_7furtheralong.JPG.f882eb89d30c07810b10ca0149936732.JPG

The severity of the curve is a problem again, of course, and if I'm going to persist with the last two I will need to extend the ballasting, but what do you think, is it worth doing at all?  The first one I do like, and I shall carry on using that angle occasionally.

I love the first image Gilbert. I like sneaking images through buildings! Rather Colin Gifford like!

For each a glimpse...

All the best,

Pete

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, great northern said:

Afternoon tea, following a walk on a footpath, where three times I was nearly hit by speeding cyclists. Social distancing, and the fact it isn't a cycle path don't seem to matter to them. Rant over,

Hi Gilbert

Driving down this bit of road in Chelmsford to take Whisper for a walk I couldn't get past a cyclist who was taking up half the road, not using the cycle path. Next day I was walking along the footpath and Whisper, bless her cotton socks, steeped over the white line, "get F**king dog out the way" as a two wheeled Azoooomer approached from behind. I was well cross so I done a rant on faceache and to illustrate where I was talking about I used these Google images......you can't make this sort of thing up.

1740163053_sliproad.png.67f718c66cf1d750ddb26679f86e4cba.png

1708304513_sliproad2.png.4955ee8e632ba5d818135491f1c30d28.png

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, landscapes said:

Morning Gilbert

Large match sticks make great fence posts just about the right size in 4mm scale and the wooden coffee stirrers cut down make ideal fence panels all fixed together with PVA glue.

Regards

David

I was thinking of using stirrers but they have been kicked off the Forum.:pleasantry:

Sorry, couldn't resist that one; seriously I am considering using those wooden sticks, from a well known Coffee outlet, to do Barrow crossings and Ballast Bins and anything else that looks like it could be made from Planking/Sleepers. I do use them for other mundane things such as stirring paint and spreading materials. I use Magnum Sticks for shaping stuff like modelling plaster (usually Polyfilla type). Any excuse to have to get a Magnum Classic (Glute Free Ice Cream and Chocolate).

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gilbert

Driving down this bit of road in Chelmsford to take Whisper for a walk I couldn't get past a cyclist who was taking up half the road, not using the cycle path. Next day I was walking along the footpath and Whisper, bless her cotton socks, steeped over the white line, "get F**king dog out the way" as a two wheeled Azoooomer approached from behind. I was well cross so I done a rant on faceache and to illustrate where I was talking about I used these Google images......you can't make this sort of thing up.

1740163053_sliproad.png.67f718c66cf1d750ddb26679f86e4cba.png

1708304513_sliproad2.png.4955ee8e632ba5d818135491f1c30d28.png

Doesn't need a helmet -  hasn't got a brain. As it happens, the path I was on becomes a dual purpose one a bit later. Same sign, and same result. Pedestrians must be pushed as close to the danger of the road as possible.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Ah Gilbert. 'Ought'. 'Should'. 'Must' - Surely the three horsemen of guilt?

I once had a long discussion with a therapist about this after I had said 'I really should be....' to which she asked 'Whose version of 'should' is this? Yours or an imprint from your past?'

A lot of the feeling of obligation we find ourselves facing in life  comes from overlays - a desire to measure up to others' expectations of us on the sure realisation that we probably never will. It starts with parents, followed by mates,  partners, spouses, colleagues and children. Rather than ever giving satisfaction, it is in fact a highway to mental hell.

I learned may years ago that we enter this world alone, and leave it much the same way, and if we want to be truly happy with the directions of our lives need to be our own people and choose our own paths. It's very much the philosophy of my motorcycling brethren, but just because we ride our own course, doesn't mean we are not mindful of others, especially those less fortunate. 

After all, every one of us is just one small mistake away from a lengthy spell in orthopaedics, which we accept as part of the risk, and  we accept that karma demands we pay back. Hence you see so much charity work done by hairy arsed old farts in leather, or guys in their 50's and 60's turning out at ungodly o'clock to rush blood and organs across the country to save a total stranger's life. 

It is also why when you see a biker at the side of the road, your first reaction is to stop and offer help.

In many ways I find the folks on here, when they choose to be supportive rather than critical, have a similar approach. That, sometimes even more than the amazing modelling,  is why I enjoy being part of your esteemed group of friends

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

Ah Gilbert. 'Ought'. 'Should'. 'Must' - Surely the three horsemen of guilt?

I once had a long discussion with a therapist about this after I had said 'I really should be....' to which she asked 'Whose version of 'should' is this? Yours or an imprint from your past?'

A lot of the feeling of obligation we find ourselves facing in life  comes from overlays - a desire to measure up to others' expectations of us on the sure realisation that we probably never will. It starts with parents, followed by mates,  partners, spouses, colleagues and children. Rather than ever giving satisfaction, it is in fact a highway to mental hell.

I learned may years ago that we enter this world alone, and leave it much the same way, and if we want to be truly happy with the directions of our lives need to be our own people and choose our own paths. It's very much the philosophy of my motorcycling brethren, but just because we ride our own course, doesn't mean we are not mindful of others, especially those less fortunate. 

After all, every one of us is just one small mistake away from a lengthy spell in orthopaedics, which we accept as part of the risk, and  we accept that karma demands we pay back. Hence you see so much charity work done by hairy arsed old farts in leather, or guys in their 50's and 60's turning out at ungodly o'clock to rush blood and organs across the country to save a total stranger's life. 

It is also why when you see a biker at the side of the road, your first reaction is to stop and offer help.

In many ways I find the folks on here, when they choose to be supportive rather than critical, have a similar approach. That, sometimes even more than the amazing modelling,  is why I enjoy being part of your esteemed group of friends

Blimey Smiffy, that was profound and very welcome my friend. Keep on truckin'

Phil

6 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Blimey Smiffy, that was profound and very welcome my friend. Keep on truckin'

Phil

Well As I officially hit the age of pension today I thought I should add something sensible to the conversation. Mind you HMG got the last laugh by making me wait another two years for me threepence ha'penny a week

Don't worry, normal service will be resumed tomorrow!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

Well As I officially hit the age of pension today I thought I should add something sensible to the conversation. Mind you HMG got the last laugh by making me wait another two years for me threepence ha'penny a week

Happy Birthday if its today?

David

43 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

Happy Birthday if its today?

David

59 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I was thinking of using stirrers but they have been kicked off the Forum.:pleasantry:

Sorry, couldn't resist that one; seriously I am considering using those wooden sticks, from a well known Coffee outlet, to do Barrow crossings and Ballast Bins and anything else that looks like it could be made from Planking/Sleepers. I do use them for other mundane things such as stirring paint and spreading materials. I use Magnum Sticks for shaping stuff like modelling plaster (usually Polyfilla type). Any excuse to have to get a Magnum Classic (Glute Free Ice Cream and Chocolate).

Hi Mallard60022

I am going to do exactly that on Haymarket, there is a very large timber foot crossing over all eight roads leading from the shed building out onto the main line and the cut down coffee stirrers will be ideal for that.

Great tip about the Magnum sticks and a great excuse to buy some Magnums as well.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
spelling
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon tea, following a walk on a footpath, where three times I was nearly hit by speeding cyclists. Social distancing, and the fact it isn't a cycle path don't seem to matter to them. Rant over, and here's an image. My heart sank when I looked at it, for once again we have a problem, bent rather than missing this time. I have by the way since found the loco and put it straight.

Clearly, I don't notice these things at the time, and I will always go for overall impression, rather than fine detail. These things "should" be right, but I have learned from my mindfulness course that "should" and "ought" are not words which necessarily rule one's life. Does it ruin the photo for you? If so. I shall be more careful in future, provided I can find the bits which have fallen off.

Just another Ivatt waiting to go back to the M&GN, but I liked the way the coaches of the departing train to the right  framed the picture.

Good evening Gilbert,

I don't think it ruins the picture, but it does rather detract from it (a personal view), given that the composition is excellent.

And, to pick up on another post, I think one can be supportive and critical at the same time; as long as that criticism is constructive. And, be backed up with offers of practical help where necessary. 

I try to go for an overall impression with my own modelling; 'sketch-book' I call it, but detail is still vital in my view.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

My heart sank when I looked at it, for once again we have a problem, bent rather than missing this time. I have by the way since found the loco and put it straight.

Don't be disheartened by comments concerning misplaced lamps, headboards, etc. - they only reflect the personal foibles of the commentator.

Invariably, whenever I read such comments, I turn to the commentator's own thread and look critically at recently posted images - from my own perspective as a wagon builder. Without exception, I can find anomalies of equal or greater import to me - from my point of view, you understand.

Criticism can be constructive - but it should be taken primarily as an expression of the criticiser's priorities, rather than a comment on any actual deficiencies in the model in question.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, great northern said:

An 02 before bedtime. What could be nicer? 63957 on its way to Ferme Park with you know what.

1807501849_839571.JPG.c70cf13ef4d4669af6d8d17cec0b64d1.JPG

I forgot to dust it again, and that really is something that does bug me.

1188201040_939572.JPG.5966817a38944ec7d11029785463fc08.JPG

I did actually build two of these back in the early days of Nu Cast. One I couldn't get to go together to my satisfaction at all, let alone run, and the other one looked OK but didn't run very well. I then had one built professionally through a local model shop in Worksop. It ran worse than mine.

Love that second image Gilbert, but I do like an o2.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, geoff west said:

Love that second image Gilbert, but I do like an o2.

TW and I had a chat on the phone this morning Geoff, and we both said that they were lovely engines in their own right, let alone for a heavy goods engine. That's why I've bent the truth a bit so that they can appear quite regularly on PN. The thought that they were very regularly on New England shed, just a mile away, but rarely came south of there, was too much to bear.

• Like 7