Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Bogie said:

I rather liked the wide view, but have I cropped it too much at the bottom?

In a way you raise an interesting question about photographing model railways and that is - could someone in real life have taken such a photo.

I must admit I am two minds about that.  Should the photo reflect the realism of the scene or the effort to record the scene?

Sorry I have typed this post after drinking some fantastic red wine and I am probably being a little too intellectual.

The photo was taken from what would be a place of safety between the bridge and the signal box. and I have seen a number of similar shots taken of the real thing back in the 50s, so I think the answer is that yes, the photographer could have stood where he needed to to get the shot, and the camera of the time was capable of taking the picture.

Vic Fincham, who took many of the photos I rely on, was obviously well known to the staff, and as a more relaxed view was adopted back then he was allowed to roam very freely. I follow his example, and sometimes exceed it by going somewhere far too dangerous, but my excuse is that my camera is rather bigger that Vic would be in 4mm scale, so he'd have been able to achieve the angles I want more safely.

I have to say I was at first a little surprised that you'd been imbibing not long after I'd had my breakfast, but then I ckecked out your location.:jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have a few hours left to continue imbibing, so apologise in advance if I post another post the intellectual quality of which may have declined somewhat - let alone the spelling!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I note 73158 was at KX for exactly a year - 20.10.57 to 19.10.58 - having arrived when less than a year old.

I agree these were handsome engines, and most that I saw had Arthurian names, nicked from deceased N15s. My first was Maid of Astolat, 73089, bringing a freight up the Windsor lines into Clapham Junction, circa 1960. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I note 73158 was at KX for exactly a year - 20.10.57 to 19.10.58 - having arrived when less than a year old.

I agree these were handsome engines, and most that I saw had Arthurian names, nicked from deceased N15s. My first was Maid of Astolat, 73089, bringing a freight up the Windsor lines into Clapham Junction, circa 1960. 

Our family holidays took us near Bournemouth around 1960/61, and I spent quite a lot of time on Pokesdown station, where I do remember seeing quite a lot of the named engines, as well as a lot of very filthy Spam cans.

• Like 2

73158 arrived new at 34E  Neasden in December 1956 then went to 34A in as  our friend Ian mentions in November 1957.She returned to 154D Neasden twice and finally left in June 1962.

I don't know what the drtivers thought of them,but I know the Fitters at Top shed could not get on with them at all and my Late Father spend many hours going back and Forth to 34A to work on 73158 as well as 73071, 73157 & 73159.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, great northern said:

Gazing into my crystal ball, I predict that this train will also be seen at Gresley Junction shortly. Might not be the same loco though.

You’re not wrong there...on both counts. Are all your loco allocations based on diagrams? I base mine on photos where available, but for these secondary trains it’s quite difficult as most captions state ‘an up express’ or something similarly useless! I figured a returning KX pacific, but chose Wild Swan which those who follow can look forward to on Gresley Jn, hopefully later today.

In another coincidence, I’m working on commissioning 73157 for her debut on Gresley Jn. She’s a DJH kit which I bought on eBay as ‘Maid of Astolat’ (yet another coincidence for Olddudders’ conquest!). As often is the case with white metal kits, I’m struggling with the decoder. If only it was a case of ‘just four wires’. So far I’ve blown up one decoder with a short circuit, and the second one has just stopped working at which point I gave up. I’ll have another go tomorrow.

I think the Standard 5’s mainly worked on the Cambridge line. I’m basing 73157 on a wonderful photo in ‘Steam Around London, The Postwar Years’ by Brian Morrison (p131) on a 9 coach Buffet Express. The other photos I have seen also feature Cambridge line trains. I think I read somewhere that they were tried out on the Grimsby fish as well, but I haven’t seen a photo and can’t remember where I read it.

If you dig out that book, there’s a nice photo of the double headed 1752 two pages earlier with 61095 and 61627.

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

You’re not wrong there...on both counts. Are all your loco allocations based on diagrams? I base mine on photos where available, but for these secondary trains it’s quite difficult as most captions state ‘an up express’ or something similarly useless! I figured a returning KX pacific, but chose Wild Swan which those who follow can look forward to on Gresley Jn, hopefully later today.

In another coincidence, I’m working on commissioning 73157 for her debut on Gresley Jn. She’s a DJH kit which I bought on eBay as ‘Maid of Astolat’ (yet another coincidence for Olddudders’ conquest!). As often is the case with white metal kits, I’m struggling with the decoder. If only it was a case of ‘just four wires’. So far I’ve blown up one decoder with a short circuit, and the second one has just stopped working at which point I gave up. I’ll have another go tomorrow.

I think the Standard 5’s mainly worked on the Cambridge line. I’m basing 73157 on a wonderful photo in ‘Steam Around London, The Postwar Years’ by Brian Morrison (p131) on a 9 coach Buffet Express. The other photos I have seen also feature Cambridge line trains. I think I read somewhere that they were tried out on the Grimsby fish as well, but I haven’t seen a photo and can’t remember where I read it.

If you dig out that book, there’s a nice photo of the double headed 1752 two pages earlier with 61095 and 61627.

Andy

Loco allocations are based on what little precious information can be found in contemporary RO and TI, plus observation, deduction and guess work!  I think for ECML south of Grantham we won't be far wrong if most of our express diagrams are worked by 34A or 34F, other than some of the West Riding trains, and the regular Tyneside workings. I think I know what all the 34A lodging turns are, so locos allocated to them work just once in the entire sequence, which means about every four months. As they only do one lap of the layout, at least they shouldn't get worn out for quite a while.

For the others, I make sure that they don't appear again until a realistic amount of time has elapsed, and nearly all have one Up and one Down duty in a complete sequence. If I'm to be self critical, I think I use too many A3s and A4s, and not enough A1s, but the temptation is too great.

I don't have that Morrison book Andy, would you recommend that I get it?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, great northern said:

I don't have that Morrison book Andy, would you recommend that I get it?

Having seen your bookshelves, I can't believe that I've found a book that you haven't got! It's got some great photos but they're all black and white and spread around London. There are only about 18 pages on the GN, but they include some real gems including the Plant Centenarian railtour, a D16 on the Cambridge Buffet Express and several clear photos of other trains. I got mine for a couple of quid second hand and it was well worth that. I'm not sure I'd pay full price for it though.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Having seen your bookshelves, I can't believe that I've found a book that you haven't got! It's got some great photos but they're all black and white and spread around London. There are only about 18 pages on the GN, but they include some real gems including the Plant Centenarian railtour, a D16 on the Cambridge Buffet Express and several clear photos of other trains. I got mine for a couple of quid second hand and it was well worth that. I'm not sure I'd pay full price for it though.

Just had a look on Amazon. Quite a lot available second hand, but also two new, one at £11.50, and the other for a very reasonable £287.99. Which do you think I should go for?

• Funny 5

1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

It may be simpler to replace the motor gear box with one that is more DCC friendly. I resorted to this on friends ebay kit purchase. It was time consuming but it did eventually work. 

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, davidw said:

It may be simpler to replace the motor gear box with one that is more DCC friendly. I resorted to this on friends ebay kit purchase. It was time consuming but it did eventually work. 

I'll PM you as I don't want to take over Gilbert's thread with DCC woes!

Gilbert ,

I always assumed the B1 would work right through to London on the New Clee,but I see 61210 was a New England engine, so has she come all the way from New Clee or has she just taken over in the yards at New England.

In response to Ian,of course the B1 was a fine looking engine one of Thomsons finest along with the equally good looking L1  2-6-4 Tank as opposed to that 4-4-0 thingy down yonder

regards Derek.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Gilbert ,

I always assumed the B1 would work right through to London on the New Clee,but I see 61210 was a New England engine, so has she come all the way from New Clee or has she just taken over in the yards at New England.

In response to Ian,of course the B1 was a fine looking engine one of Thomsons finest along with the equally good looking L1  2-6-4 Tank as opposed to that 4-4-0 thingy down yonder

regards Derek.

Now lookie here Mr Derek, despite being a Midland fan and a diesel modeller I will stick up for the SR L1 4-4-0 , only cos they look like a 483 class 2 4-4-0.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1