Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Being a lot younger I was brought up being told about the new cleaner diesels. On a journey to see my nan in Farnborough as small kids (me and me brother Steve) we would be dressed in our play clothes. Mum would have our smart clothes in a separate bag. The nice Rolls Royce engined DMUs we traveled from Bedford to London in were not that dirty, it was the EMUs out of Waterloo, there were still some of the Ducks favorite Bulleyed Spam Tins in service and they made everything dirty. Well on arrival at Farnborough we would be pushed into the ladies loos (we were under 5) and given a good scrub down and redressed in our smart clothes. So my memory of steam is not a romantic one.

I think the worse was touching something and then rubbing my dirty hand on my face........the dreaded licked hankie wash ........in public...... :scared:  :scared:  :scared: 

Plus DMUs you could see along the track, even if it was where you had been out the back windies.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Dirty Spams? Morty you rotted, I shall speak to you about that when I am awake.

P

Mr Duck

I use to look at the Tri-ang catalogue and think they had got the colours of their big steam engines wrong, they had them in green including the boxy looking thing like the ones I use to see going to my nan's, Battle of West Country Class I think they were called. I say I thought they had got their colours wrong because all the steam engines (note I am not being rude and calling them kettles) were a very dark grey almost black. Where as the nice clean diesels were green.......well except those the (Great) Western Region painted very very incorrectly into Midland Railway Crimson Lake.   Now tell me about clean kettles?

DMUs and punk music. I'm afraid there's probably no hope...

Yeah!!!!!!

I'm very concerned now. What has caused Morty to rot? Is it painful? Can it be cured?

No chance, at least I hope not.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Being a lot younger I was brought up being told about the new cleaner diesels. On a journey to see my nan in Farnborough as small kids (me and me brother Steve) we would be dressed in our play clothes. Mum would have our smart clothes in a separate bag. The nice Rolls Royce engined DMUs we traveled from Bedford to London in were not that dirty, it was the EMUs out of Waterloo, there were still some of the Ducks favorite Bulleyed Spam Tins in service and they made everything dirty. Well on arrival at Farnborough we would be pushed into the ladies loos (we were under 5) and given a good scrub down and redressed in our smart clothes. So my memory of steam is not a romantic one.

I think the worse was touching something and then rubbing my dirty hand on my face........the dreaded licked hankie wash ........in public...... :scared:  :scared:  :scared:

Plus DMUs you could see along the track, even if it was where you had been out the back windies.

She just didn't want a smutty Clive, that's all. Of course she had no control over what happened in later life. And yes, I also got the licked hankie treatment.

• RMweb Premium

Ah, yes, the hankie wash - brings back memories.

And, where I was, the DMUs almost always ran with the blinds down so it wasn't possible to get that nice view of where you had been, or if you were very lucky, where you were going. In one period of 6 months of commuting by DMU I recall that there were, perhaps, just three or four occasions where the blinds were up. Indeed there were times when you settled in and the blinds were up, as soon as the driver got in the cab down came the blinds - frustrating or what?

And, where I was, the DMUs almost always ran with the blinds down so it wasn't possible to get that nice view of where you had been, or if you were very lucky, where you were going. In one period of 6 months of commuting by DMU I recall that there were, perhaps, just three or four occasions where the blinds were up. Indeed there were times when you settled in and the blinds were up, as soon as the driver got in the cab down came the blinds - frustrating or what?

I remember that. What were the drivers doing , that they didn’t want us to see ?

The only time I ever travelled on the S&C we were in an old fashioned emu and i managed to grab a front right hand seat all the way from Leeds to Carlisle

At  Carlisle I mae a point of thanking the driver for leaving the blinds up - he smiled and replied "more than my life would be worth not to!"

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I remember that. What were the drivers doing , that they didn’t want us to see ?

I had the same experience most of the time. I always thought it was because most drivers were miserable *******, who just wanted to spoil kid's fun.  Similar goings on at Tamworth, where crew hung things over the cabside numbers of locos on the Birmingham - Derby line, and had a laugh when we showed we were annoyed.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The morning call from "BT", to tell me that my PC is spreading viruses all over the place, came earlier than usual today, so now I can get on with things.

Hi Gilbert

I hope you said "Good as it has taken me ages to write the program for them. By the way you might be using one of them, I hope this time I get my cut of the scam".

Now your shots of the under the roof, it looks like the geriatric wards I done my training on. Rows of people sat on benches with their feet dangling in mid air. Back in the bad old days patients were sat on chairs that were too high for them so once in the day room they stayed there. Apart form children and very short people, most of us when sat on a station seat have our feet on the ground. It is one of those things that I find many of us modellers don't see but having taken part in a campaign to re-educate nurses etc so that patients were sat on chairs that were suitable and they could get off I would like to educate us modellers as well. The worse type of chair was one called a Buxton Chair, their use is now against the law.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

I hope you said "Good as it has taken me ages to write the program for them. By the way you might be using one of them, I hope this time I get my cut of the scam".

Now your shots of the under the roof, it looks like the geriatric wards I done my training on. Rows of people sat on benches with their feet dangling in mid air. Back in the bad old days patients were sat on chairs that were too high for them so once in the day room they stayed there. Apart form children and very short people, most of us when sat on a station seat have our feet on the ground. It is one of those things that I find many of us modellers don't see but having taken part in a campaign to re-educate nurses etc so that patients were sat on chairs that were suitable and they could get off I would like to educate us modellers as well. The worse type of chair was one called a Buxton Chair, their use is now against the law.

I am always very polite. I just say in my best BBC accent. "No you are not. You are a scammer, and I hope you will get what you deserve in life". For some reason, the phone goes dead before I can say any more.

We do have at least one person who could get her feet on the floor if she wished, but she has chosen to straighten her legs out for some reason. There is also a person who is indeed either a child or short, or possibly both. I've had no complaints from any of them, but that could be because they are glued to their seats.

• Like 1