Peterborough North

great northern

I'd add hooks made from small size staples and drill fine holes, then white (or black) tack these on. The staple-hooks add a second line of defence and the boards are less likely to drop off, even if they come loose.

EDIT: Actually scale (or near scale) slotted end brackets as was actually done.

Edited by Martin S-C

• RMweb Premium

I'd add hooks made from small size staples and drill fine holes, then white (or black) tack these on. The staple-hooks add a second line of defence and the boards are less likely to drop off, even if they come loose.

EDIT: Actually scale (or near scale) slotted end brackets as was actually done.

That's a very good idea, but sadly is likely to be beyond both my visual and current manual abilities. I might have a go though.

There is a gluey "stuff" which is similar to the adhesive used on Post-it notes that might solve your carriage boards problem. I can't remember what it's called but someone else will know.... Should make them stick temporarily without leaving a mark or residue when you remove them.

Chaz

It is all going extremely well. :imsohappy: Can anyone think of a way to affix carriage destination boards temporarily?  That would make things even better.

It might depend on what type they are and how long you want them on for, mine are the pre-printed type you cut from card.

At first I used Tacky Wax but they either curled or came loose fairly quickly, now I use a water based PVA type glue so they stick down cleanly and can be removed fairly easily, if necessary use a cloth dampened  with warm water to soften the glue.

I am sure there must be a similar product in the UK

• RMweb Premium

A progress report, but no pictures to prove it, as the day has been very dark, and very wet, for that matter. The fiddle yard now houses two fully fitted goods rakes, one of 40 wagons, and the other of 37. They do look impressive. There is also a rake of fish vans, 30+ of those. Two expresses have gone into cassettes so far, so I have a large number of empty ones. I even worked out a source for some of the stock used on the shuttle service, and found to my delight that a regular formation was SL CL BS, so my lovely Thompsons can continue to appear regularly, and have a convenient short spur to live in.

Portions are the key to further progress, so I've done a thorough analysis from my carriage working books, and will work on that more tomorrow. All quite exciting really.

Back now to 1958, and it's still A3 time. 60106 again first.

post-98-0-32756100-1545602559_thumb.jpg

and from the South, 60046 slowing for the stop with the 1020 Leeds.

post-98-0-31040300-1545602665_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

It might depend on what type they are and how long you want them on for, mine are the pre-printed type you cut from card.

At first I used Tacky Wax but they either curled or came loose fairly quickly, now I use a water based PVA type glue so they stick down cleanly and can be removed fairly easily, if necessary use a cloth dampened  with warm water to soften the glue.

I am sure there must be a similar product in the UK

Just to add to my previous post I have a circular layout and a cassette system which I first saw on your thread, so you only ever see one side of a rake of coaches.

With that in mind I now tend to put destination boards on one side only so if you load from cassettes, one way you have a named train and if you load with the rake reversed you have got a standard express.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just to add to my previous post I have a circular layout and a cassette system which I first saw on your thread, so you only ever see one side of a rake of coaches.

With that in mind I now tend to put destination boards on one side only so if you load from cassettes, one way you have a named train and if you load with the rake reversed you have got a standard express.

You could have the coaches different colours on each side too.

• RMweb Premium

Another very good idea, for which many thanks. That is likely to be very helpful indeed.

The day dawns bright and fine, and I'm buzzing to get on with things. Here's the last photo I have in store to be going on with, Diamond Jubilee again, now waiting for the signal to depart.

attachicon.gif9 46 2.JPG

Aarg - A3 buzzed by peanut-shaped UFO. Panic in Peterborough! 

The glue I was thinking of is Tacky Wax - I have not used it myself, but Richard's post above suggests that it wouldn't work so well.

Gilbert: Coach boards: I printed my own onto coloured stiff-ish paper, used a thin, double sided tape on the back and then cut them to size with a sharp scalpel. Lightly affix in the appropriate position (one coach side only - one usually doesn't see the other) and Bob's your father's brother!

Gilbert,

Coach headboards are available from :- http://www.pacificmodels.co.uk/ which is based in Little Bytham,Lincolnshire.

Well worth a look I think.

No connection in any way although I know a Bloke  Gentleman who knows the proprietor.

May i wish everyone I know who follows PN a very Merry Xmas and a Prosperous New Year.

Regards,Derek.

• RMweb Premium

Aarg - A3 buzzed by peanut-shaped UFO. Panic in Peterborough! 

The glue I was thinking of is Tacky Wax - I have not used it myself, but Richard's post above suggests that it wouldn't work so well.

You've beaten me this time Chaz. I can't see anything untoward, even when I magnify it. Tacky wax? I have some, but don't find it to be very tacky.

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

Coach headboards are available from :- http://www.pacificmodels.co.uk/ which is based in Little Bytham,Lincolnshire.

Well worth a look I think.

No connection in any way although I know a Bloke  Gentleman who knows the proprietor.

May i wish everyone I know who follows PN a very Merry Xmas and a Prosperous New Year.

Regards,Derek.

I've got plenty of boards Derek, it's a way of fixing them temporarily which is exercising my mind. It doesn't much like being exercised these days though.

You've beaten me this time Chaz. I can't see anything untoward, even when I magnify it. Tacky wax? I have some, but don't find it to be very tacky.

OK. On my Mac the sky is a very pale grey and the dodgy bit of retouching is white with some grey freckles. 

• RMweb Premium

Well, I can't ignore Christmas any longer. Many thanks for the good wishes, and for all the support and friendship you have so generously given once again during the past year. It definitely helps to keep me motivated, and to keep visiting the railway room regularly. A happy Christmas to all, and may you avoid all the traffic jams.

Now for some pictures to show that I really have been putting some time in on the fiddle yard lately. I'll start with a view from the north end.

attachicon.gif1 FY looking south.JPG

Road 6 now holds a fitted freight instead of 'orrible Hornbys, and road 11 is the new home of the Hull/Grimsby fish. In road 12 we have another fitted goods, and that one's prime duty will be the Scotch goods, which will at last be able to use the Down slow, as it apparently almost always did. The Glasgow and the Heart of Midlothian now reside in cassettes.

Next a look at the spurs at the north end which feed onto road 1.

attachicon.gif2 north end spurs.JPG

The nearest and furthest from the cassette spur again house my end vestibule seconds, which do get quite a lot of use, and which are very nice to look at. The filling in the sandwich is one of my two Midland sets, which just fits nicely into that space. Empty bogie bolsters occupy one of the outside spurs, while everything else over there will be rehoused. That will free up two more spurs, one of which will hold empty pipes and tubes. The other isn't decided yet. These will be hand shunted onto the rear of the fitted goods as and when required.

This leaves me at the moment with no less than 20 empty cassettes, which I had not anticpated, and there is no pressing need to remove any more stock from the fiddle yard, so I seem to have plenty of options. More photos later.

Very nice Gilbert. I do like looking at other people's fiddle yards.

Merry Christmas.

• RMweb Premium

OK. On my Mac the sky is a very pale grey and the dodgy bit of retouching is white with some grey freckles. 

Strange, that doesn't show on mine, though I do know it happened. Paint.Net has changed lately, and it isn't aywhere near as easy now to be sure I've removed every little imperfection before I add the sky layer. When I do that, such things show up, so I erase them, but sometimes they come back again. :scratchhead: This must be one of those occasions.