Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert. I'm not a regular reader of your thread but I do dip into it now and again. Over on St Enodoc's thread there is currently talk of cassettes and loco lifts and other moveable storage devices and your solution got a mention. I've had a quick skim through several parts of this very long thread but no luck finding the references or any pics yet - could you, or any of the regulars here possibly direct me to the approxmate pages the discussion was on? I'd be extremely grateful for any pointers.

Many thanks.

I reckon anything will be buried well back in the thread now, so I'll see if I have any photos in the archive, and if not I'll take a few new ones and put them up tomorrow.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Create a roadworks diorama and get rid of all the vehicles other than those in service for the works. Could involve a Road Roller and I've not seen one of those on a MR bridge.

T. R. Macadam

So now I have to source a 1958 road roller? :swoon:  And we can't go digging holes in Peter's lovely bridge. Let's just agree that a millimetre isn't a lot between friends. Or....... it's just been resurfaced, and they haven't finished putting the camber back on yet.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The cunning plan worked perfectly, as the rain started just as I was putting my clubs away in the car. Proper golf too. Tonight's pictures? Well, underwhelming, I'd call them, but no doubt someone will find them acceptable.

post-98-0-10242600-1545171721_thumb.jpg

Arrival of the Birmingham - Ely.  By the time it had come to a halt, the 9.40 Newcastle was running through on the Down main.

post-98-0-74927400-1545171867_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

The cunning plan worked perfectly, as the rain started just as I was putting my clubs away in the car. Proper golf too. Tonight's pictures? Well, underwhelming, I'd call them, but no doubt someone will find them acceptable.

attachicon.gif9 4.6.0s.JPG

Arrival of the Birmingham - Ely.  By the time it had come to a halt, the 9.40 Newcastle was running through on the Down main.

attachicon.gif11 65 1 bright.JPG

I really like the first pic of the two, in particular the people are very realistic looking.

Syd

• RMweb Premium

I reckon anything will be buried well back in the thread now, so I'll see if I have any photos in the archive, and if not I'll take a few new ones and put them up tomorrow.

Here's a starter for ten:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/18451-peterborough-north/?view=findpost&p=2497169

I just used the search box (top right) to find "cassette" in "This topic".

Edited by St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

Here's a starter for ten:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/18451-peterborough-north/?view=findpost&p=2497169

I just used the search box (top right) to find "cassette" in "This topic".

Oh, I do like clever people! Many thanks John, that just never occurred to me.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks John, exactly what i was looking for.

Also... Gilbert... nice storage arrangements!

Thanks Martyn, and please don't hesitate to ask questions if you would like further detail. This can be refined to be more efficient than I have got it at the moment, but the basic idea does work well.

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, are the pale grey skies in your photos the walls of your railway room or are you using some digital skullduggery to hide the 1:1 scale background? Whatever it is, its very effective.

Very basic photoshopping Martin. I erase all the background stuff that tends to irritate me, and replace it with a layer of sky. This is the absolute limit of my photoshopping knowledge, but fortunately just enough to do the job.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Today I have been very lucky. First Tony W rang and offered to come over this afternoon to look at a point which is giving problems. Then postie arrived with the two Cobalt motors I bought off E Bay. Not half an hour later Tony arrived, bringing with him son Tom, who had happened to call in to see him.  So, Tom, who fitted the failed Cobalt in the fiddle yard seven years ago, was able to check things, confirm that the original Cobalt was indeed dead, and replace it with one of those that had arrived only a short while before. Neither Tony nor I would have fancied getting into the very confined space which had to be accessed, and I wouldn't have been confident I could do the replacement properly anyway.

So, most unexpectedly, I have a fully functional layout again. :sungum: Very lucky indeed, and many thanks to Tom for sorting it out.

• Like 5

Very basic photoshopping Martin. I erase all the background stuff that tends to irritate me, and replace it with a layer of sky. This is the absolute limit of my photoshopping knowledge, but fortunately just enough to do the job.

I've done some of that in the past and have accumulated a library of skyscapes and rural/urban/industrial landscapes for use behind photos of models. Transforming a photo of a layout from a cluttered exhibition hall setting into a fake landscape is quite rewarding.

Or........  I could just remove the bus, it being a cliche anyway.  Where is the acute accent when it is needed?

1. Pick up the bus and turn it over.

2. Pick up a file, remove some "rubber" from the base of the nearside wheels.

3. Replace bus on bridge.

Admire "camber" as the bus now tilts to the left!

Stewart

• Like 4

Today I have been very lucky. First Tony W rang and offered to come over this afternoon to look at a point which is giving problems. Then postie arrived with the two Cobalt motors I bought off E Bay. Not half an hour later Tony arrived, bringing with him son Tom, who had happened to call in to see him.  So, Tom, who fitted the failed Cobalt in the fiddle yard seven years ago, was able to check things, confirm that the original Cobalt was indeed dead, and replace it with one of those that had arrived only a short while before. Neither Tony nor I would have fancied getting into the very confined space which had to be accessed, and I wouldn't have been confident I could do the replacement properly anyway.

So, most unexpectedly, I have a fully functional layout again. :sungum: Very lucky indeed, and many thanks to Tom for sorting it out.

Thanks Gilbert,

I think in Tom's case it's a matter of three things which helped him fix the Cobalt problem. 

1. He knows what he's doing.

2. He's 37, and you and I are 73 and 72 respectively!

3. His eyes are only 37 years old.

Glad he was able to fix it, and I hope the coach still holds on to its bogies.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Wish I could get that search facilty to work. Never comes up with any stuff I ever need; perhaps because I ask obscure questions about the SR?

P

I know what you mean Phil. I don't find it works well for general research but if you are looking for something you know is there and just need to locate it, then it is OK. I hope that makes sense.

1. Pick up the bus and turn it over.

2. Pick up a file, remove some "rubber" from the base of the nearside wheels.

3. Replace bus on bridge.

Admire "camber" as the bus now tilts to the left!

Stewart

If you then choose to move bus to a level location such as a station forecourt:

4. Make and paint figure of bus driver squatting down beside wheels looking at the flat tyres.

• RMweb Premium

Or........  I could just remove the bus, it being a cliche anyway.  Where is the acute accent when it is needed?

Hi Gilbert

I am just catching up with your going ons. You leave that bus alone. :triniti:   Buses need bridges to sit on in model railway land.  :rtfm: It is the unwritten rule that we should all abide by.  :yes: 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

I am just catching up with your going ons. You leave that bus alone. :triniti:   Buses need bridges to sit on in model railway land.  :rtfm: It is the unwritten rule that we should all abide by.  :yes:

But the passengers are in the last stages of starvation Clive. If it stays there much longer I'll have to model some skeletons.