Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

But Peterborough DID see GWR green - 20th and 21st May 1948 when 6018 King Henry VI ran on the ECML in the exchange trials from Kings Cross to Leeds and return.

Not quite the right era but modellers licence/rule 1 .....

T'was but a momentary aberration,  and those are not permitted on here.

• RMweb Premium

I see the N5 has possibly coupled up to the Southern PMVs. Are they about to turn a wheel for the first time in ages?

It isn't, it hasn't, and I am finding your "contributions" to this thread increasingly irritating.

A minor triumph this morning. I have managed to allow a blood sample to be taken. As this figures very high in my list of things to be avoided, I'm quite pleased with myself, but I haven't stopped shaking yet. Totally irrational, I know, but that's the way it is. Now I must enjoy the rest of my day, and I will start by posting a picture that I think came out rather well.

attachicon.gif48 under roof.JPG

These are always a bit hit and miss shots, but this one very nearly got it right. I then followed 60048 all the way to its stop at the south end of Platform 2.

attachicon.gif48 5.JPG

I know it doesn't look like it, but actually everything is straight in this shot. How do I know that? I found a "straighten" tool. Now if I can just convince myself that I am not going to bleed to death....... There is no wimp icon.

It seems that with all doctors to day , Gilbert, that when in doubt, take a blood sample. They have enough of mine to re float the Titanic stored away in the NHS vaults somewhere.

After 10 years of photoshopping - well trying to anyway - I found a 'straightner' tool also but for me it seems to make things worse.

Lovely pictures again.

Allan

Edited by allan downes

• RMweb Gold

That pic of the A3 under the roof is a real cracker Gilbert. Nothing quite like an A3 without deflectors. I must admit that I initially preferred them with the German deflectors and double chimney, but many educational visits to this thread have convinced me of the error of my ways!

Cheers

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Gilbert - sorry to go OT (from the main subject) but commiserations on your encounter with a disciple of the Good Count (Dracula).  A worrying business for those who dislike such things or those who - like me - have an intense dislike of needles being wielded near the surface covering of my anatomy even though' it happens to me every couple of months, or even more frequently at times.  

But looking on the bright side at least that post included that smashing pic of 60048 'under the roof' - superb Peterborough atmosphere for those of us old enough to recall (or even remember) those days.

Edited by The Stationmaster

Gilbert they took yet more of my Blood  @ QMC. on Monday. I asked the young Lady if she had heard of the "Tony Hancock" sketch of a arm full of blood.She said all you older people mention it !!.

The parking as you mentioned was a nightmare. SWMBO came with me and spent over 45 minutes  queing  for the Car Park whilst I was in with the Prof. Just as I came out she arrived and off we went to the Vampire!!  Sorry but I cant spell Haemotology. :jester:  :jester:

Edited by CUTLER2579

• RMweb Premium

Talking of blood and the Hancock sketch reminds me I'm due at blood donors three weeks today. Hopefully they won't turn me away this time as they keep telling me they need my blood type. Oh, 5 gallons donated so far if I've got my count correct ...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I hope the nurse remembered to say a little scratch and not pr###? However, congratulations on overcoming that situation. 

Thanks for posting that A3 from the tender behind. You know I have a bit of a thing about the GN version.

Philth.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I hope the nurse remembered to say a little scratch and not pr###? However, congratulations on overcoming that situation. 

Thanks for posting that A3 from the tender behind. You know I have a bit of a thing about the GN version.

Philth.

Really good nurse Phil, started off by telling me she can't stand needles either, and understood how I felt, and then just went about it very calmly and supportively. I can still think of lots of things I'd rather be doing though.

• RMweb Premium

Some great model work and very good photos, do you use a macro lens on an SLR camera by any chance?

It is a little Canon G12 actually. I don't use the macro setting, as I find it tends to get things out of focus, though no doubt that is because I'm not using it properly.

• RMweb Premium

Waiting for a courier delivery, which will be "some time between 0900 and 1800". Isn't customer service great these days? It wouldn't have been like that in 1958, where that shabby V2 is making slow progress on its way North.

post-98-0-73270700-1497603158_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-84256700-1497603197_thumb.jpg

The presence of another train in the adjoining platform seems to enhance these, for some reason, and you do get three bonus locos in the second one.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

What's that loco second from left in the second photo Gilbert?

Liam

If you actually read this thread you would know that it is normally the V2 relief loco and just enlarging the photo shows the unmistakable lines of a V2. I must admit I'm really tiring of your puerile comments and questions on this thread.

Tony

It's not just your photos that inspire, Gilbert. It's also you're text.

I mean, what can one write that's exciting when describing a certain loco but you manage it quite magnificently. As an uplift to a rainy morning I dwell on every word - even your golf accomplishments !

Thanks for a great read !

Allan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What's that loco second from left in the second photo Gilbert?

Liam

If you actually read this thread you would know that it is normally the V2 relief loco and just enlarging the photo shows the unmistakable lines of a V2. I must admit I'm really tiring of your puerile comments and questions on this thread.

Tony

I'm sorry Liam, but enough is enough. I have never previously found the need to post a reply such as the one I sent to you a couple of days ago, and I think anyone who visits here regularly would tell you that it was out of character for me to do so. I do all I can to encourage young people, but you are constantly annoying me, and more importantly other people who visit and contribute on here. You cannot or will not take the hint, so I will have to be clear. Please do not post on here again. If you continue to do so, I shall inform Andy Y. It is with profound regret that I feel it necessary to say this.

• RMweb Premium

It's not just your photos that inspire, Gilbert. It's also you're text.

I mean, what can one write that's exciting when describing a certain loco but you manage it quite magnificently. As an uplift to a rainy morning I dwell on every word - even your golf accomplishments !

Thanks for a great read !

Allan

Thanks Allan, that helps a lot in the light of very recent happenings. It gets more difficult both to find something new to say, and to find new views to show, but I'll keep trying.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, whilst we have, no doubt, worked through the timetable a number of times it seems that you are able to bring out something different each time. It might be comment on the stock or a little tweak to the layout but it all adds to the picture that you paint for us.

Unfortunately there are very few left who can recall steam let alone from the 50's so it is a delight for the younger fans to read about the workings and hear some of the stories related from those who worked on the railways.

I am fortunate in that I remember steam from the early 60's yet unfortunate in how run down it was in the West Country by then. Although an abiding memory is from the 50's at Dawlish Warren of an immaculate loco and train rushing past. It Perhaps explains my love of things with green paint and brass trimmings but it does not prevent me from appreciating what you depict - the realism is stunning.

• RMweb Premium

I don't normally like photos with a lot of locomotives in them, as they are usually improbable - branch line termini with three engines in steam kind of thing - but that last photo gives the atmosphere of a busy mainline station, which is exactly what you are portraying in PN.  Super.  Makes me dream of Newcastle Central again!

An N5 is an 0-6-2T....  ;-) and at the other end.

• Like 3