Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

This may seem a really stupid question Gilbert, but is it still a shed? Only I never see any locos stabled outside.

It hadn't been a shed for locos for nearly a century Liam, but it is still referred to as the "old engine shed" in most photographs I've seen.

• Like 2

It hadn't been a shed for locos for nearly a century Liam, but it is still referred to as the "old engine shed" in most photographs I've seen.

Had that been an active engine shed it certainly wouldn't have stood up to the abuse that steam engines are capable of throwing at it for a century that's for sure ! 

Lovely authentic looking model just the same. Really loving all your pictures, Gilbert. If ever you tire of golf I'm sure you would make an excellent full time model railway photographer and join the ranks of Tony Wright et al - you have a knack for choosing the right angles and the right lighting ( even for photoshoping in between lattice work ! )

Allan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A Dub D and a V2, most pleasing. I really do hope Mr Bachmann get a move on with theirs, with a Finney V2 costing upwards of £300 for the kits and associated bits, it's a bit out of my league for the moment...

• RMweb Premium

A Dub D and a V2, most pleasing. I really do hope Mr Bachmann get a move on with theirs, with a Finney V2 costing upwards of £300 for the kits and associated bits, it's a bit out of my league for the moment...

I was thinking about that V2 only this morning Tony, and sadly realising that a long time has passed since it was announced. It seems to be very low priority.

• Like 1

I was thinking about that V2 only this morning Tony, and sadly realising that a long time has passed since it was announced. It seems to be very low priority.

Along with the retooling of the ex-GWR 'Manor' (see my profile picture for a fine example of the prototype). C'mon Bachmann, get your skates on, your RMweb customers are getting impatient.

The Thompson BSK shows how far off Bachmann is with its 'blood'. With most RTR coaches, I mask off the 'custard' and lightly respray the bottom half with a rattlecan from Halfords to give the red more life. The only care needed is to avoid breaking the lugs while removing the body.

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately it appears that we are in for the long haul before we see a Bachmann V2.

A friend is a member the Bachmann Collectors Club which issues a very good quarterly magazine and in the section detailing the progress of models through the various stages of the production process the V2 has been stuck in the first section since it was announced a year or so ago.  

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately it appears that we are in for the long haul before we see a Bachmann V2.

A friend is a member the Bachmann Collectors Club which issues a very good quarterly magazine and in the section detailing the progress of models through the various stages of the production process the V2 has been stuck in the first section since it was announced a year or so ago.  

It seems a lot longer than a year ago when it was announced Eric. Two or more?

• RMweb Premium

Time for another of those multi portion West Riding trains, part of this one having originated from as far afield as Ripon. Another Grantham A3 up front, Doncaster this time.

post-98-0-24110400-1497432013_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-48371900-1497432056_thumb.jpg

A head on view which would work better if there was something on the Down slow, and if I could somehow reduce the glare which comes through even with the blinds drawn.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Had that been an active engine shed it certainly wouldn't have stood up to the abuse that steam engines are capable of throwing at it for a century that's for sure ! 

Lovely authentic looking model just the same. Really loving all your pictures, Gilbert. If ever you tire of golf I'm sure you would make an excellent full time model railway photographer and join the ranks of Tony Wright et al - you have a knack for choosing the right angles and the right lighting ( even for photoshoping in between lattice work ! )

Allan

Thanks Allan, that is very kind. Having seen Tony at work, and talked to Andy Y about the delights of photoshopping, I can assure you I'm a long way short of their standard. Several hours dealing with one image does not appeal to me at all. And in cruel close up, you can see that those lattices do quite often defeat me. I enjoy doing what is within my capabilities though, and it is very rewarding to see that it gives some enjoyment to visitors on here.

It was announced at the same time as the 94xx. Something tells me spring 2015, so if that's true then we're in for a long wait.

Thanks Allan, that is very kind. Having seen Tony at work, and talked to Andy Y about the delights of photoshopping, I can assure you I'm a long way short of their standard. Several hours dealing with one image does not appeal to me at all. And in cruel close up, you can see that those lattices do quite often defeat me. I enjoy doing what is within my capabilities though, and it is very rewarding to see that it gives some enjoyment to visitors on here.

Hi Gilbert.

From what I can gather,  pro photographers aren't all that fond of having to photoshop photos for publication either and that's why the prefer a plain, white background which makes the job a whole lot easier and, If I remember correctly, Tony uses a bed sheet !

However, I wouldn't worry too much about any of that as your photos are just fine and certainly better than most and if we can't forgive a little knarled looking lattice work now and then - tough - and you have my full permission to tell us all where to go !

Er, could you slip a little unoffensive  GWR loco in there somewhere.....Just for old times sake....

Allan

Hi Gilbert.

From what I can gather,  pro photographers aren't all that fond of having to photoshop photos for publication either and that's why the prefer a plain, white background which makes the job a whole lot easier and, If I remember correctly, Tony uses a bed sheet !

However, I wouldn't worry too much about any of that as your photos are just fine and certainly better than most and if we can't forgive a little knarled looking lattice work now and then - tough - and you have my full permission to tell us all where to go !

Er, could you slip a little unoffensive  GWR loco in there somewhere.....Just for old times sake....

Allan

I've got a Bachmann '8750' he can use to substitute for the station pilot (sorry Neil). Don't worry about realism Gilbert, some ended up as far away as Folkestone!

• RMweb Premium

I've got a Bachmann '8750' he can use to substitute for the station pilot (sorry Neil). Don't worry about realism Gilbert, some ended up as far away as Folkestone!

Scotland was probably the most distance but Folkstone is quite a wild and windy place and quite hilly as well.

Philth

But not Peterborough. :nono:

if you're a reader of Steam Railway (though I prefer the Railway Magazine) then you'll know that every issue they have a 'what if' column where photos are edited to make a fantasy loco. One scenario was when due to the war the LNER asked the GWR for a dozen or so Panniers, which immediately after the war were painted LNER apple green and come BR days were given numbers starting with 6. I think they would have been allocated to New England or March - a nice treat for spotters!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

if you're a reader of Steam Railway (though I prefer the Railway Magazine) then you'll know that every issue they have a 'what if' column where photos are edited to make a fantasy loco. One scenario was when due to the war the LNER asked the GWR for a dozen or so Panniers, which immediately after the war were painted LNER apple green and come BR days were given numbers starting with 6. I think they would have been allocated to New England or March - a nice treat for spotters!

No thank you, we had plenty of J52s and C12s at PN, and as apple green paint was very scarce post war there were thousands in the queue ahead of any foreign stuff. Quite right that they stayed in store for years, as those 94xx things did.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ooh, a J15 up the page.  One of those fell off the shelf into my bag at work and came home with me, I just couldn't resist it.  No idea what to do with it, but it is just so nice.

Now what's this rubbidge about panniers and PN?  Really, I don't know....youth of today.....pchah.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Bang on Gilbert!

It was either late 2014 or early 2015 according to my friend who receives the Bachmann magazine. The V2 was placed at that time in the Forthcoming Items section which is the first one, followed by sections;  In the Drawing Office, In the Tool Room, Artwork Stage, In Production and finally Recent Releases. It is still in the Forthcoming Items section.

Some time to go yet!

Eric

Ooh, a J15 up the page.  One of those fell off the shelf into my bag at work and came home with me, I just couldn't resist it.  No idea what to do with it, but it is just so nice.

Now what's this rubbidge about panniers and PN?  Really, I don't know....youth of today.....pchah.

Don't look a me, I was merely going along with what Allan said! 

How do you mean 'it fell of the shelf into my bag at work'?

• RMweb Premium

But Peterborough DID see GWR green - 20th and 21st May 1948 when 6018 King Henry VI ran on the ECML in the exchange trials from Kings Cross to Leeds and return.

Not quite the right era but modellers licence/rule 1 .....

Edited by Richard E