Peterborough North

great northern

Just the classic view from the end of Platform 3 tonight, as Victor Wild approaches.

attachicon.gif105 3.JPG

Can't kkep my eyes open, for some reason, so off to bed.

Is that sign above the box really white letters on green or is that a trick of the light?

I would have expected it to be white on BR(E) blue if enamel or white on black (or purple blue) if cast iron

Cheers Tony

• RMweb Premium

Is that sign above the box really white letters on green or is that a trick of the light?

I would have expected it to be white on BR(E) blue if enamel or white on black (or purple blue) if cast iron

Cheers Tony

It started life blue Tony, but has faded a bit as the sun has got at it. It should really be a GNR notice, but I haven't got round to that yet.

• RMweb Premium

We were talking yesterday about perfection, or how close to it one can get. I've just walked around my garden, and saw these.

post-98-0-14822300-1496572193_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-54139500-1496572206_thumb.jpg

You can't get much closer to perfection than that. I also have water iris in bloom in my pond, and they aren't far off either.

post-98-0-77176500-1496572296_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-51640800-1496572321_thumb.jpg

Completely off topic, but no apology from me. They lifted my spirits, and I'll be surprised if they don't do the same for you, so I decided to share.

• Like 17

We were talking yesterday about perfection, or how close to it one can get. I've just walked around my garden, and saw these.

attachicon.gifpeony 1.JPG

attachicon.gifpeony 2.JPG

You can't get much closer to perfection than that. I also have water iris in bloom in my pond, and they aren't far off either.

attachicon.gifiris 1.JPG

attachicon.gifiris 2.JPG

Completely off topic, but no apology from me. They lifted my spirits, and I'll be surprised if they don't do the same for you, so I decided to share.

Blooming marvellous!

• RMweb Premium

Gilber,t do you have any idea what's happened to the flying Duck man - he's not been quacking on SOS for ages...

Folks are getting concerned

No, I haven't heard anything either. I know he is struggling some of the time, and it is just too much effort to do anything much, so hopefuly that is all it is.

• Like 1

I've just finished watching a lovely programme about the making of Sgt Pepper, and am reflecting on how lucky I was to be just 22 years old when it appeared and changed popular music for ever.

Apart from that, I had another mess around with the last image, and after very heavy cropping, conversion to monochrome, and a bit of experimentation with highlights shadows and contrast, we get this.

attachicon.gif143 2.JPG

I could have cropped it even more, but if I'd taken the N5 out, I shudder to think what might have happened to me. 60143 was followed by a mixed goods which originated at Colwick, and produced an 04, though how it acquired a Retford engine, I'm not quite sure.

attachicon.gif04 1.JPG

Coincidentally I just watched the same programme (on iPlayer) and thought it quite excellent. Made me want to listen to the whole thing so tomorrow I will find the CD and give it a spin. The one downside to that is the Peter Blake "heroes" artwork on the cover that really doesn't work too well in a CD jewel-case sized version.

I think that B & W of the A1 is also excellent. So convincing.

Chaz

Golf over Birmingham way today, which looks like being a very soggy experience. Before checking that I have all my waterproof gear in the bag, here are this morning's shots. An arrival from Louth stands waiting for the passengers to depart.

attachicon.gifDMU.JPG

The DMU then hastily reverses across the formation into number 5 bay, but we shan't watch that, as our cameraman has spotted a B17 running up the engine road to the staging point by the DE area.

attachicon.gif1653 1.JPG

An appropriate engine, given recent events in the football world.

I remember the Sandys at Liverpool Street. I always thought that the GS tender suited them so much better than that soppy little GE affair so I was pleased to see your photo of Huddersfield Town, with it's "proper" tender prominent. I do know all about short turntables but my view is aesthetic rather than practical and of course purely personal - you are free to disagree. 

Chaz

Golf over Birmingham way today, which looks like being a very soggy experience. Before checking that I have all my waterproof gear in the bag, here are this morning's shots. An arrival from Louth stands waiting for the passengers to depart.

attachicon.gifDMU.JPG

The DMU then hastily reverses across the formation into number 5 bay, but we shan't watch that, as our cameraman has spotted a B17 running up the engine road to the staging point by the DE area.

attachicon.gif1653 1.JPG

An appropriate engine, given recent events in the football world.

You should have been over here on Saturday Gilbert. We had glorious sunshine, and if you weren't in a rush you could have squeezed in a visit to 'my' railway.

I'm guessing you're going to somewhere near the airport? There are a lot of golf courses around there.

• RMweb Gold

I've just finished watching a lovely programme about the making of Sgt Pepper, and am reflecting on how lucky I was to be just 22 years old when it appeared and changed popular music for ever.

A mere 5 years old and in short trousers........... 

• RMweb Premium

I was spending time trying to model Ashburton in a garden shed and fitting that around all the other things a 14 year old does.

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I was spending time trying to model Ashburton in a garden shed and fitting that around all the other things a 14 year old does.

Too much information there Richard.

• RMweb Premium

I have noticed an increasing tendency for people to be younger than me, which is confirmed by one or two recent posts above. I am concerned about this. Isn't it contrary to some sort of equality legislation? Is there any prospect of compensation? I wouldn't mind some of that.

Pouring with rain here, so no golf, and perhaps some operating later. Not much in the image store, but here is 60126 backing down in preparation for taking over the Heart of Midlothian.

post-98-0-36778100-1496739972_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

It's raining, Gilbert, because our carport roof needs repairing - which it does ever since the builder repaired it - and the builder doesn't like getting wet. When the roof's finally fixed it will be sunshine forever... well, until it needs fixing again so,let me know when you're due to play golf again and I'll consult our roof.

Allan