Peterborough North

great northern

I always feel that this is an essential shot of any train at Platform 6. Then my eye alighted upon a coach, and I decided this should be a featured vehicle, which may turn out to be a new policy, or perhaps not. Semi corridor lavatory composite, what a lovely name for a coach. I could suggest that it was the best thing to come out of Thompson's regime, but of course I would never say anything so controversial.

attachicon.gifCL.JPG

Door bang rubbers but no hinges modelled, an interesting combination.  I like the way the very subtle weathering has been applied around the raised features

Tony

Always my criticism of Comet coach kits. It's a right faff drilling them all out and you always end up breaking one or two drills.

They do look nice, though, ET's coaches. Of course, to stand out from the crowd what you'd really need is the exclusively East Anglian D244 with one fewer first class compartment, but that really is nitpicking.

Always my criticism of Comet coach kits. It's a right faff drilling them all out and you always end up breaking one or two drills.

They do look nice, though, ET's coaches. Of course, to stand out from the crowd what you'd really need is the exclusively East Anglian D244 with one fewer first class compartment, but that really is nitpicking.

I use a 1.5mm long length of 0.45mm wire to represent the top and middle hinges. The bottom requires something more substantual.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Only one or two J? That's careful modelling compared to moi I'm afraid to admit. However I do like having the hinges. Fraid I use Frogmore hinges for almost everything, whether they be correct or not.

A. N. D. Bracket.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's me sat on the trolley in the yellow jacket nodding in approval at those lovely Pullmans but actually waiting patiently for D209 to come by again...sorry, but I do love the PN type 4's... ;)

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This morning flakes of snow are drifting gently down, but of course there is none of that at PN. It is August, after all. We have a final shot of the B12.

attachicon.gif1576 4.JPG

I always feel that this is an essential shot of any train at Platform 6. Then my eye alighted upon a coach, and I decided this should be a featured vehicle, which may turn out to be a new policy, or perhaps not. Semi corridor lavatory composite, what a lovely name for a coach. I could suggest that it was the best thing to come out of Thompson's regime, but of course I would never say anything so controversial.

attachicon.gifCL.JPG

I think the semi corridor lab compo is probably the nicest suburban coach ever made. I don't know why, but really just love the look of them.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think the semi corridor lab compo is probably the nicest suburban coach ever made. I don't know why, but really just love the look of them.

This is a real nerdy thing to admit, but when I first discovered this particular Thompson design when part building  a Comet one for someone, I found out about the others that had existed including the Mk1 version. Then there are the variations within the Diagram. All good stuff.

Although I liked the Comet version, I enjoyed building the late John Fozzard's kit. Don't think that's available any more?

I suppose that if I had had to travel in one of these I would have been aware of them but as with so much back in the day, I never gave them a second look (or even a first).

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

This is a real nerdy thing to admit, but when I first discovered this particular Thompson design when part building  a Comet one for someone, I found out about the others that had existed including the Mk1 version. Then there are the variations within the Diagram. All good stuff.

Although I liked the Comet version, I enjoyed building the late John Fozzard's kit. Don't think that's available any more?

I suppose that if I had had to travel in one of these I would have been aware of them but as with so much back in the day, I never gave them a second look (or even a first).

Phil

Same here Phil. I hardly ever looked at coaching stock during my spotting days, but when I started looking at photos after my "proper" modelling efforts started, this lovely thing shot to the top of my wish list, along with any type of Gresley 61ft 6 brake.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That's me sat on the trolley in the yellow jacket nodding in approval at those lovely Pullmans but actually waiting patiently for D209 to come by again...sorry, but I do love the PN type 4's... ;)

David

Ermm. I've checked the sequence, and neither of them appears to be rostered again until the next sequence. Sorry, but there are only two more Top shed diagrams left in today's.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The pics of Queen Of Scots really take me back to my spotting days when I occasionally visited Waverley when staying with my dad's cousin (whose brother would have had a fit, as he was an LMS/LMR/ScR man all his life and worked at Derby, Crewe, and various other locations on the West side).  I would try to time my visit to coincide with the arrival of the up Service, and would remain at the end of the platform until the tail light of the last Pullman disappeared into the Mound tunnel.  One very disappointing day to me as a young spotter, it came in behind a B1 (yes and complete with headboard) but I don't know from where it started - I guess the A1 had failed somewhere.  But it does give you licence to do something a little different.

Edited by 45156
  • Like 2

Another photo of the Queen of Scots this morning.

attachicon.gif120 4.JPG

and I thought you might like a close up of a Pullman car.

attachicon.gifpullman car.JPG

They really do look opulent, don't they?

Those flat-sided Pullmans were so much more attractive than the later Metro-Cammell (?) replacements and were better appointed inside (so I was told by a friend who travelled in a Pullman train and walked through to the brake cars which were still of the original pattern).

Chaz

• RMweb Premium

The pics of Queen Of Scots really take me back to my spotting days when I occasionally visited Waverley when staying with my dad's cousin (whose brother would have had a fit, as he was an LMS/LMR/ScR man all his life and worked at Derby, Crewe, and various other locations on the West side).  I would try to time my visit to coincide with the arrival of the up Service, and would remain at the end of the platform until the tail light of the last Pullman disappeared into the Mound tunnel.  One very disappointing day to me as a young spotter, it came in behind a B1 (yes and complete with headboard) but I don't know from where it started - I guess the A1 had failed somewhere.  But it does give you licence to do something a little different.

I've seen several photos of the Up Queen of Scots between Glasgow and Edinburgh with a B1 at the head. Presumably the timings were not that tight. They weren't south of Edinburgh for that matter. South of Leeds though, I can't remember anything other than a Copley Hill A1 in charge of both Up and Down trains.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Tonight we have a KX goods Dringhouses Class C, and a nicely turned out Top Shed V2. Our intrepid cameraman has shinned up something in order to give slightly different viewing angles.

post-98-0-22387100-1486852004_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-67199000-1486852024_thumb.jpg

I don't like sleet, and I don't like perishing cold Easterly winds. A combination of the two meant we were glad it was only a 12 hole competition. Come to think of it, I don't like February much at all.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

I don't like sleet, and I don't like perishing cold Easterly winds. A combination of the two meant we were glad it was only a 12 hole competition. Come to think of it, I don't like February much at all.

I was only going to hit the agree button.

At least February is the shortest month, although it seems at least as long as any other.

Regards

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Tonight we have a KX goods Dringhouses Class C, and a nicely turned out Top Shed V2. Our intrepid cameraman has shinned up something in order to give slightly different viewing angles.

attachicon.gif854 1.JPG

attachicon.gif854 2.JPG

Flanders & Swann's "A Song of the Weather" has it about right. Why do you think I now live in Australia (41deg C yesterday, probably not much less today)?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I was only going to hit the agree button.

At least February is the shortest month, although it seems at least as long as any other.

Regards

Ian

Likewise - this year February has been darned expensive and probably hit some of my plans for later in the year as a result. Still intend to get started properly as soon as the weather permits as I have a shed to insulate first ...

• RMweb Premium

I've seen several photos of the Up Queen of Scots between Glasgow and Edinburgh with a B1 at the head. Presumably the timings were not that tight. They weren't south of Edinburgh for that matter. South of Leeds though, I can't remember anything other than a Copley Hill A1 in charge of both Up and Down trains.

This was certainly an up service, and the B1 came in from the South, and departed to Glasgow.  However, I suspect that it hadn't come all that far - perhaps Newcastle.  Some ofmMy noteboooks are long long since vanished as has my combined volume for that era.  I once saw the A1 come off at Edinburgh and the service continued to Queen Street behind a B1. 

• RMweb Premium

This was certainly an up service, and the B1 came in from the South, and departed to Glasgow.  However, I suspect that it hadn't come all that far - perhaps Newcastle.  Some ofmMy noteboooks are long long since vanished as has my combined volume for that era.  I once saw the A1 come off at Edinburgh and the service continued to Queen Street behind a B1. 

Sorry, I'm confused now. Wouldn't a service from Newcastle to Edinburgh be a Down train?