Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

60090 still clean and back in work with the glamour boys after it's visit down south!

(Hope you don't mind the posting on here)

Eric

attachicon.gifA3 60090 Grand Parade (2).JPG

Not at all Eric, good to see it on home ground, among all those other fabled beasties. Cicero, what was that about, never saw it down here.

• RMweb Premium

60090 has left, and the next arrival is rather more mundane. A Leicester - East slow calls legitimately at Platform 2, and is seen just before it gets there in a view from the Disrtict Engineer's yard.

post-98-0-68466600-1486505457_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-93610900-1486505488_thumb.jpg

It is almost impossible to photograph an engine without a water crane appearing to grow out of it. :scratchhead:

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

But that's just how photo's were back then, for there were plenty of water cranes, and, although I can't show it here for copyright reasons, there is a good example of a crane growing out of B1 61306 at Beverley station in early 1965. Please carry on taking those superb photo's and don't worry about the cranes.

With best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

But that's just how photo's were back then, for there were plenty of water cranes, and, although I can't show it here for copyright reasons, there is a good example of a crane growing out of B1 61306 at Beverley station in early 1965. Please carry on taking those superb photo's and don't worry about the cranes.

With best regards,

Rob.

I think it is a throwback to when Coachmann used to appear on here. He was always telling me off for things like that.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The next arrival is the 4.19pm from KX, diagrammed for a B1, which would be quite capable of handling any of these slow trains.

post-98-0-07193900-1486547478_thumb.jpg

I have to admit that the lack of photoshopping detracts little or at all from this shot. Then I took a shot from the other side of the bridge.

post-98-0-46108300-1486547648_thumb.jpg

and I finished up cropping it really close because it occurred to me that the GN heritage shines through even on a loco designed a quarter of a century after the company ceased to exist. I think this portriat brings that out well. It also, of course, has a water crane wrapping itself lovingly around the front of the loco. Have you identified my next fixation yet?

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

I think it is a throwback to when Coachmann used to appear on here. He was always telling me off for things like that.

Artistically such things are a pain. Peter Coster makes the same complaint about one of his own pictures, almost certainly at Halwill Junction, with a telegraph pole rising above a steam loco's boiler. But when you take pictures in an industrial landscape like the railway such things are gonna happen. And the model snapper's plight, on a layout where compression brings everything into closer juxtaposition - is there any other sort? - is no less irksome.

When I got my first SLR camera, I joined the camera club at the factory I worked at, thinking I might learn something. To start off the venture, the club held an informal completion. My entry was heavily criticized because of the inclusion of signals. I gave up the club after that.

The pic is enclosed - with some damage evident on the slide.

Stewart

post-2049-0-29686600-1486553710.jpg

• Like 7

When I got my first SLR camera, I joined the camera club at the factory I worked at, thinking I might learn something. To start off the venture, the club held an informal completion. My entry was heavily criticized because of the inclusion of signals. I gave up the club after that.

The pic is enclosed - with some damage evident on the slide.

Stewart

06_47_0018_47431 Huntingdon 01-01-1974..jpg

That's a fantastic picture (from a steam era fan!) and would make a great Christmas Card! - I'm sure someone used to using Photoshop could easily sort out the damage

Coming slightly late to the party regarding clean A3s, one of PN's fleet has been in for a refresh.  It's got an appointment with some grime from the airbrush next, but here's a view of how the older Hornby green can be brought up to a very nice finish indeed.

post-6712-0-46924300-1486577645_thumb.jpg

A simple (to me) remedy of T-Cut to burnish the bodywork, followed by a sigle coat of Klear to seal everything in.  Light weathering is all that is required for this one.

To see how it looked previously, here's Gilbert's post from a year or three ago.

Cheers,

Tim

• Like 16

post-6557-0-46489200-1486578845.jpg

That's a fantastic picture (from a steam era fan!) and would make a great Christmas Card! - I'm sure someone used to using Photoshop could easily sort out the damage

Hi 

I agree nice action photo, I happen to be using Photoshop Elements so I had a quick go removing some of the damage.

I hope Gilbert does not mind me posting the new photo.

Regards

David 

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Stewart's pic works for us because it's a smashing action pic of a train in a winter railway-scape. Photography clubs tend to be heavy on composition rather than content, and this doesn't quite tick their boxes re the rule of thirds etc. That doesn't stop us using such rules in our hobby, but action photos always make composition more of a challenge. Now we have DSLRs and other digital cameras, at least we are no longer constrained by the price of film, so taking multiple exposures as the train approaches is now affordable.

Take the pics you like and you will probably find we like them too.

• RMweb Premium

Coming slightly late to the party regarding clean A3s, one of PN's fleet has been in for a refresh.  It's got an appointment with some grime from the airbrush next, but here's a view of how the older Hornby green can be brought up to a very nice finish indeed.

attachicon.gif60050_L_31812-3a.jpg

A simple (to me) remedy of T-Cut to burnish the bodywork, followed by a sigle coat of Klear to seal everything in.  Light weathering is all that is required for this one.

To see how it looked previously, here's Gilbert's post from a year or three ago.

Cheers,

Tim

What a transformation!  I just don't want to count how many more there are that need this treatment. They will have to be done though, gradually, because this looks so real, and they don't.

Coming slightly late to the party regarding clean A3s, one of PN's fleet has been in for a refresh. It's got an appointment with some grime from the airbrush next, but here's a view of how the older Hornby green can be brought up to a very nice finish indeed.

60050_L_31812-3a.jpg

A simple (to me) remedy of T-Cut to burnish the bodywork, followed by a sigle coat of Klear to seal everything in. Light weathering is all that is required for this one.

Cheers,

Tim

Stunning absolutely stunning! Makes me want more A3's!

Edited by davidw
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've been having some difficulty finding suitable crew figures for a B12, those splasher boxes take up half the cab!  Makes you wonder how they managed to drive the real ones, and look out of the windows.

• RMweb Gold

I've been having some difficulty finding suitable crew figures for a B12, those splasher boxes take up half the cab!  Makes you wonder how they managed to drive the real ones, and look out of the windows.

Theirs were built to P4 standards.