Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

That's great Gilbert, and does pose the question "Is it real or is it another excellent RMWeb model".

Following these first class layouts (yours among them) online is a great privilege, and the owners' generosity in sharing them with us really gives inspiration and hope that one day.....

Edited by 45156

You are not alone in counting the "nick-nacks" as one of your favourites. Checking in my (disintegrating) copy of ABC part 4 I count six of them underlined. I can't say I have a clear memory of any of them - unlike the J15 on a special that I saw with my late father at Stratford Low Level, but I do like them, so more please when you can.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't envy you that diamond crossing!

If I have won the lottery, then I am sure it would be Norman Solomon's ultimate challenge!  Iconic, though.  I actually preferred the West end when trainspotting, but I can't say why now.  Too many DMU's at the other end with the North and South Tyneside services, Boro's and Sunderlands, I hated the things back then.  Only the Carlisles at the West, to interfere with Deltic drooling.  Better view of the avoiding lines too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Love the shine on #90 Gilbert. How was this achieved?

I asked John Houlden to use Klear to get this effect. He had never tried it before, and was a bit doubtful, but the result speaks for itself. This would represent a loco as clean as it could ever be, my justification being that I saw it at Retford in August 1958, and it really did shine like this. No doubt that was its first trip since leaving the paint shop, it had travelled only 17 miles, and it was a beautiful day, so there had been no chance really for any dulling of that shine.

I have this photo of it at New England, copyright of Andrew C Ingram, which will have been taken within a few days of my sighting.

post-98-0-91829900-1486373641_thumb.jpg

Still very clean, but with some signs of road dirt building up. I know the loco was used for some time down South from sightings published in magazines and a photo in Peter Coster's Book of the Great Northern, so that's why it appears on PN, and I have allowed myself the pleasure of seeing it in that absolutely pristine state as it was when we got a single peg on the Up main at Retford, and so expected nothing much, but got 60090!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Here is the last view of 63983.

post-98-0-25186100-1486374188_thumb.jpg

and then another shot of Grand Parade. I'm sure every camera would have been pointed at her in reality, so that's what has happened here.

post-98-0-30751000-1486374308_thumb.jpg

Standing waiting time, fairly low angle sun coming from the left, ideal shooting conditions really.

It seems like yesterday when I realised that it was 50 years since my unforgettable sighting of 60090 at Retford. Now I've realised that next year it will be 60. :O  How rapidly things once taken for granted become history. All the more important to keep the memories bright. That could be the motto of PN actually.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

I asked John Houlden to use Klear to get this effect. He had never tried it before, and was a bit doubtful, but the result speaks for itself. This would represent a loco as clean as it could ever be, my justification being that I saw it at Retford in August 1958, and it really did shine like this. No doubt that was its first trip since leaving the paint shop, it had travelled only 17 miles, and it was a beautiful day, so there had been no chance really for any dulling of that shine.

I have this photo of it at New England, copyright of Andrew C Ingram, which will have been taken within a few days of my sighting.

attachicon.gif60090 001.jpg

Still very clean, but with some signs of road dirt building up. I know the loco was used for some time down South from sightings published in magazines and a photo in Peter Coster's Book of the Great Northern, so that's why it appears on PN, and I have allowed myself the pleasure of seeing it in that absolutely pristine state as it was when we got a single peg on the Up main at Retford, and so expected nothing much, but got 60090!

It looks great, and I've been meaning to try the Klear treatment. Do you know whether he brushed it or sprayed it on?

• RMweb Premium

Hello Pete,

Here is an illustration that there are some very clean locos on the layout. The train is the 4.40pm Up Doncaster, and that shed has taken the opportunity to do some more running in of Haymarket's ex works and newly double chimney fitted A3 Grand Parade.

attachicon.gif90 1.JPG

This does show what can be done with Hornby's anaemic green, and a slightly less pristine finish will eventually be applied to some more of mine. There is a good chance too that this finish will be preserved on 60090 for some time when Doncaster send it back up North.

Lovely pictures Gilbert. I can confirm that 64B maintained the finish!

Eric

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It looks great, and I've been meaning to try the Klear treatment. Do you know whether he brushed it or sprayed it on?

I believe he brushed it, and I know that Tim Easter has done so on other locos that he has improved for me. I might even have a go myself, after Tim has given me a tutorial.