Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

I have found a pic of a 'cement' heading south for Peterborough in 1961, behind a 9F. It was going to Fletton IIRC so it may even have been 'ash'.Was there such a train in '58? I can't remember seeing a 'cement' on PN.

Congrats on trashing those jolly seagull fellows from the South coast by the way. Splendid result.

Philth

Edited by Mallard60022

A convert is always welcomed with open arms. :sungum: Is the appeal of that photo that it is so ordinary? That's what struck me when I set it up - the vital but commonplace activities of the working railway.

As to the chairmanship, it is a real challenge given the present state of golf, but I'm looking forward to it. Keeping people informed is what matters to me, and that hasn't been happening. It will now.

Two more images before the Club calls again. I must remember to park in the right spot.

attachicon.gif3F and DMU.JPG

3F starts away towards Leicester, while the Cravens unit is stabled awaiting its next duty.

attachicon.gifWelwyn goods.JPG

It is followed by a Welwyn - Colwick Class D, behind Hitchin's B1 Madoqua. The fitted head is followed by yet more empty minerals. Andy Rush told me some time back that there were so may to reurn that they were stabled in places other than Ferme Park, and hooked on to any convenient northbound working.

That would be Welwyn Garden City rather than Welwyn North? I can't imagine the yard at WN giving much scope for shunting a train together. I am interested to hear that such a working existed. I suppose the Welwyn origin for this run was a matter of convenience - a chance to get stuff "up north" without clogging up the lines in "The Smoke"?

Chaz

I have found a pic of a 'cement' heading south for Peterborough in 1961, behind a 9F. It was going to Fletton IIRC so it may even have been 'ash'.Was there such a train in '58? I can't remember seeing a 'cement' on PN.

Congrats on trashing those jolly seagull fellows from the South coast by the way. Splendid result.

Philth

Apparently, the Cliffe- Uddingston cement workings, which would have passed through PN, started in 1961. There may have been other workings, perhaps from Ketton to King's Cross, which started earlier.

On another thread on here today was a photo of what was probably the Cliffe train, headed by an A4.

• RMweb Premium

Apparently, the Cliffe- Uddingston cement workings, which would have passed through PN, started in 1961. There may have been other workings, perhaps from Ketton to King's Cross, which started earlier.

On another thread on here today was a photo of what was probably the Cliffe train, headed by an A4.

I agree. 1961 was when that train started, and I don't think there was anything at all similar in my period.

• RMweb Premium

That would be Welwyn Garden City rather than Welwyn North? I can't imagine the yard at WN giving much scope for shunting a train together. I am interested to hear that such a working existed. I suppose the Welwyn origin for this run was a matter of convenience - a chance to get stuff "up north" without clogging up the lines in "The Smoke"?

Chaz

Yes, Welwyn Garden City, I was just being idle again. Peter Coster confirms what Andy Rush told me, namely that mineral empties were stored in several places, New Southgate being one.

Good morning. I shall now post an image without comment, and await yours.

attachicon.gifthrough the entrance.JPG

and then something a bit more normal.

attachicon.gifA5 south end.JPG

This stock returns to Grantham shortly, so the A5 is in the process of transferring it across to Platform 6.

The view through is intriguing and reminiscent of teasing glimpses one might get BUT the obviously unfinished nature, unpainted edges and walls that don't meet the floor do rather spoil the effect. Don't give up on this approach though, it has potential.

Chaz

• RMweb Premium

The view through is intriguing and reminiscent of teasing glimpses one might get BUT the obviously unfinished nature, unpainted edges and walls that don't meet the floor do rather spoil the effect. Don't give up on this approach though, it has potential.

Chaz

Yes, with a roughly detailed interior, that would be a cracking shot.  I don't think it needs mega detail, just enough to hint at what is there.

Thanks chaps, that was exactly the input I was seeking. I'll perhaps wait till Peter Leyland is next here and seek his advice on what exactly to do with it, but I certainly will do something in due course. I may even have a photo which may give me some useful leads.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The next train to arrive at Platform 3 will be the 5.44 to Grimsby Town, calling at Spalding, Boston, Firsby, Alford and Louth.

Nice bulled up Immingham B1 as almost always.

Very nice B1. I take it the white smokebox door hinges and lamp bracket are an Immingham 'trademark'?

Very nice B1. I take it the white smokebox door hinges and lamp bracket are an Immingham 'trademark'?

I remember them. Later on 40B B1s could be seen in truly awful external condition but with white smokebox door hinges and buffer faces. It fooled nobody.

Chaz