Peterborough North

great northern

To bring the day towards its close, one more angle on the W1.

attachicon.gifW1 north end 2.JPG

I suppose I could have got right to the end of the platform, but even then the water crane would have been in the way. It's something a bit different, but it doesn't bear scrutiny if you zoom in any further.

Didn't the W1 once end up (geddit?) at a rather more radical angle at PN? And why 60700? What happened to 60600?

• RMweb Premium

Didn't the W1 once end up (geddit?) at a rather more radical angle at PN? And why 60700? What happened to 60600?

Yes, it did. I think we've had pictures posted before, I know there are some on the Peterborough images web site. It wouldn't have been 60600, because that would have limited the number of his Pacifics that Thompson could build. :mosking:

• Like 1

It wouldn't have been 60600, because that would have limited the number of his Pacifics that Thompson could build. :mosking:

Fortunately that nice Mr Peppercorn took over and did the job.

Of course 10000 should have been renumbered 70000!

60200?

60300?

60400?

And too many photos of an A3? Don't be silly!   (shouts of "more!")

Edited by chaz

OK, so you know what's coming next.

attachicon.gif67 leaving 3.JPG

Perishing cold out today, I still haven't really warmed up.

The only thing missing is the exhaust billowing down after hitting the underside of the bridge. Are you not tempted sometimes to get going with Photoshop and add some smoke and steam?

You can get some convincing steam with a small amount of effort...

P1040234-steam-added%20800%20x%20592_zps

P1040479-steam-2%20800%20x%20606_zpsythx

Great fun, although some of your followers won't like it.

Chaz

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

The only thing missing is the exhaust billowing down after hitting the underside of the bridge. Are you not tempted sometimes to get going with Photoshop and add some smoke and steam?

You can get some convincing steam with a small amount of effort...

P1040234-steam-added%20800%20x%20592_zps

P1040479-steam-2%20800%20x%20606_zpsythx

Great fun, although some of your followers won't like it.

Chaz

I wouldn't mind doing something like that occasionally, but I don't have a clue where to start.

• RMweb Premium

Predictably, we have a divisive subject here. I admit I'm not convinced, and where smoke has been added to PN photos, I've not been too happy with the results. If anything, I'd like to see it hanging about under the roof after a train has passed through, rather than issuing from any part of a locomotive. I assume in any event that there must have been regulations prohibiting the making of smoke in the station area.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Now look what you've done!

post-98-0-46006700-1485088280_thumb.jpg

" Look here matey, my class have been the station pilots here for well over 30 years. Now you come along, you foreign *******, all my mates have disappeared, and my driver reckons I've got a one way trip to Doncaster coming up shortly. If there turns out to be any truth in that, you'll be scrap before I am." :threaten: :ireful:

• Like 5

Do you know, I quite like that one.

Yes it is very nice, all of the photos you have taken from this angle have been good, whether to the left of the box with the foliage or to the right like this one.

Why?  Because IMO they all sit nicely within the rule of thirds, foliage or box in the left hand third, bridge in the top third, loco in the centre and foreground in the bottom third therefore making a nice balanced photo whatever the subject.

I bet you didn't plan it like that :jester:

post-15323-0-92984400-1485098662_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Yes it is very nice, all of the photos you have taken from this angle have been good, whether to the left of the box with the foliage or to the right like this one.

Why?  Because IMO they all sit nicely within the rule of thirds, foliage or box in the left hand third, bridge in the top third, loco in the centre and foreground in the bottom third therefore making a nice balanced photo whatever the subject.

I bet you didn't plan it like that :jester:

attachicon.gifthirds.jpg

The rule of thirds also applies to architecture. The Greeks set  out this discipline centuries ago and I use it all the time when designing free lance buildings.

Furthermore, the human body is made up in thirds - three times round your head equals your height, your hand goes three times into the length of your arm and so forth. The rule of thirds was established using the human body as the prime example where the proportions are pleasing to the human eye.

Allan 

• RMweb Premium

I've still got more photos of Ladas.

post-98-0-70208400-1485123841_thumb.jpg

I'm not that taken with this, but I seem to be in the fortunate position lately that there is always someone who likes things, whatever it is. Ladas finally moved into the fiddle yard, where you would expect to see it no more, but when it got to here I thought things actually looked quite nice, so here it is yet again.

post-98-0-59388200-1485124069_thumb.jpg

Next thing you know I'll be ballasting round here. :scratchhead:

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

One of the problems of taking photos on the outside of curves is that our very tight radii, compared to the prototype, look even more obvious. When the same scene is taken from the inside of the curve then the radii looks far more natural.

I agree Alan, and I normally avoid that kind of composition. I just thought I'd try it, but It is unlikely to happen again.