Peterborough North

great northern

As promised, more of the Scotch goods.

attachicon.gif15 2.JPG

attachicon.gif15 under roof 1.JPG

This one only just got through quality control.

Just seen the Bachmann announcements. Thompson coaches on the way. :imsohappy: That will be a big help with putting formations together from loose stock. And why is it that, good though I now am at resisting inappropriate locomotives, the announcement of a Midland 1P has got me all hot and bothered? They got no closer to Peterborough than the Rolleston Junction to Southwell branch, and occasionally Newark shed. They did come to Lincoln shed though when Newark closed, and I remember them well -58065/85. Lovely little engines. Stop it!

Shame maroon versions are still not available....

• RMweb Premium

Shame maroon versions are still not available....

Well, yes, but we can't have everything all at once. I'm very pleased that a coach of this standard is being produced at all, and after all, we shall still have something to look forward to.

If we look back to ten years ago, what a desert the LNER/ER scene was then. We've done so well since and so the fact that neither Hornby nor Bachmann have announced anything new that suits me for 2017 really doesn't cause any upset. When you think of the huge diversity of interests they have to try to satisfy, it's a wonder that we get as much as we do.

Well, yes, but we can't have everything all at once. I'm very pleased that a coach of this standard is being produced at all, and after all, we shall still have something to look forward to.

If we look back to ten years ago, what a desert the LNER/ER scene was then. We've done so well since and so the fact that neither Hornby nor Bachmann have announced anything new that suits me for 2017 really doesn't cause any upset. When you think of the huge diversity of interests they have to try to satisfy, it's a wonder that we get as much as we do.

Agreed, though modelling 1959 - 61 does limit the number of thompson's I can justify in Crimson Cream. I may contemplate a re-paint,

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Chris. I've had another look at these this morning this morning and agree with you that the coach behind the Standard 4 is a LMS Period 1 corridor vehicle, most likely a TK to D1695. As for the one behind No.41062 I can only plead either declining mental or occular faculties (or both!). The rainstrip on the roof tells us it's either P1 or P2 but the lack of beading on the sides suggests a P2 coach. I agree with you that Hornby's offering would provide a ready substitute.

Yes, as Leander says, the last L&Y diagram 98 third went in Jan 1961 - 32 of them made it into 1958, 17 into 1959, 4 into 1960 and the last one into 1961 (just!).

The coach behind the standard 4 is almost certainly an LMS period I 57ft diagram 1695 TK.  There's an outside chance it could be a diag. 1747 FK as they had the same corridor side arrangement but the TKs were obviously more common and seem much more likely on this service.

The coach behind Compound 41062 is not a L&Y diag. 98 as behind 41095.  It's a bog standard LMS 57ft non-corridor, most likely a third but could be a compo (as they both had 9 compartments).  The photo is not ever so clear but my best guess would be a Period II diag. 1784 third.  But Hornby's Period III diag. 1906/1906A third would be a suitable substitute!

ChrisKT

A belated update chaps, to say that thanks to your help and advice a Dia 98 kit will shortly be arriving from Andrew Hartshorne. When Hornby do another batch of those LMS non corridors, one of those will be acquired too, and I'll be well on the way to forming a second set for the Leicester trains. I really need to do that, as once a day two sets were in the station at the same time, which means that at present, i cheat.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Agreed, though modelling 1959 - 61 does limit the number of thompson's I can justify in Crimson Cream. I may contemplate a re-paint,

I suppose it could be argued that it is our own fault for choosing to model periods in which there was considerable change. If we went back to mid 50s, it would be easier, but then we lose the variety. I'm still more frustrated by the lack of Gresley stock to an equivalent standard, and frankly, I can't see that ever happening, whereas maroon Thompsons will eventually come.

• Like 1

I suppose it could be argued that it is our own fault for choosing to model periods in which there was considerable change. If we went back to mid 50s, it would be easier, but then we lose the variety. I'm still more frustrated by the lack of Gresley stock to an equivalent standard, and frankly, I can't see that ever happening, whereas maroon Thompsons will eventually come.

Would the mid 50s have been easier? There was still a lot of stock in grouping livery during the 50s possibly not on the main lines but certainly elsewhere.

Thinking about freight stock that might pass through on the main line, having read some postings on Welwyn Garden City elsewhere. There were several flows to WGC that would have passed through Peterborough North:-

Grain wagons for Shredded Wheat

Aluminium oxide for an abrasives firm (Univeral Grinding Wheels?), carried in 21t hoppers with blue, semi-permanent, wagon sheets.

Gypsum for Polycell. In the 1960s, this was carried in odd looking structures on Rectanks- not sure when this started, or what wagons were used before.

• RMweb Premium

What, never?

Well, hardly ever.

Nope, never.

I used to appal fellow officers by eating fried breakfast whilst in heavy weather.  :onthequiet:  :jester:

Love the Claud photo, Gilbert, oh and the 'over the shoulder' shot of the A4 under the canopy.  Lush. :sungum:

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Thinking about freight stock that might pass through on the main line, having read some postings on Welwyn Garden City elsewhere. There were several flows to WGC that would have passed through Peterborough North:-

Grain wagons for Shredded Wheat

Aluminium oxide for an abrasives firm (Univeral Grinding Wheels?), carried in 21t hoppers with blue, semi-permanent, wagon sheets.

Gypsum for Polycell. In the 1960s, this was carried in odd looking structures on Rectanks- not sure when this started, or what wagons were used before.

Grain wagons?  I thought I had no excuse at all to justify them. I've always liked them too. Just don't tell me they were 60 wagon trains.

G'day Gents

Do tell more about the grain wagons for WGC, I used to work the 'Shredded Wheat' trains from Temple Mills to WGC in the early 70's, and have been interested in the earlier steam workings, but have found very little on where they originated.

Thanks

manna

Grain wagons?  I thought I had no excuse at all to justify them. I've always liked them too. Just don't tell me they were 60 wagon trains.

I think they'd probably be a raft of perhaps five or six wagons; the Bachmann one's a cracking model, and you could always have a couple of the Parkside LNER ones, one modified to represent the very similar GWR type. These wooden edifices lasted into the mid-1970s.

• RMweb Premium

Nope, never.

I used to appal fellow officers by eating fried breakfast whilst in heavy weather.  :onthequiet:  :jester:

Love the Claud photo, Gilbert, oh and the 'over the shoulder' shot of the A4 under the canopy.  Lush. :sungum:

Apologies Neil, I should've added a smiley to my quotation from HMS Pinafore.

• RMweb Premium

Would the mid 50s have been easier? There was still a lot of stock in grouping livery during the 50s possibly not on the main lines but certainly elsewhere.

On balance I think it would. All Pacifics in green early crest, all A3s single chimney, and most stock in crimson and cream or plain crimson. A scattering of liveries from earlier times would probably make a refreshing change.

• RMweb Gold

On balance I think it would. All Pacifics in green early crest, all A3s single chimney, and most stock in crimson and cream or plain crimson. A scattering of liveries from earlier times would probably make a refreshing change.

It certainly works OK for me!  Though sourcing early crest can be a challenge, with most of my locos getting renumbering it's not too much of a problem.  Still haven't weakened to a Blue A1 yet, but I don't know how much longer I can hold out...

• RMweb Premium

It certainly works OK for me!  Though sourcing early crest can be a challenge, with most of my locos getting renumbering it's not too much of a problem.  Still haven't weakened to a Blue A1 yet, but I don't know how much longer I can hold out...

I'd think they were essential for the early 50s Tony. So it isn't really weakening, is it? Just a commendable desire to get things right. You see, I have years of practice at self justification, though I haven't yet found one for that new Bachmann Midland tank.

• Like 1

I'd think they were essential for the early 50s Tony. So it isn't really weakening, is it? Just a commendable desire to get things right. You see, I have years of practice at self justification, though I haven't yet found one for that new Bachmann Midland tank.

I read a post on here saying some were allocated to Spital Bridge....

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Fortunately I have a fleet of Wrenn Grain Wagons that you can borrow to see if they look OK.

They are not good enough for PN in the long term but by the time you have managed to build a square chassis on the Parkside ex LNER Van/Wagon, you will have had some fun setting up the Grain raft. 

I think Dapol may do a Grain but I CBA to check; I mention that as they are inexpensive. However, as stated, the Baccy ones are very tidy indeed.

B. Arley

• RMweb Premium

I read a post on here saying some were allocated to Spital Bridge....

Stewart

Pre war maybe Stuart, I can't find any sign post war at all, and I can't really think of any suitable duties for them either, unless it was on the Uppingham branch or the Seaton - Stamford locals, in which case they wouldn't have been seen on the GN side at all.

• RMweb Premium

Fortunately I have a fleet of Wrenn Grain Wagons that you can borrow to see if they look OK.

They are not good enough for PN in the long term but by the time you have managed to build a square chassis on the Parkside ex LNER Van/Wagon, you will have had some fun setting up the Grain raft. 

I think Dapol may do a Grain but I CBA to check; I mention that as they are inexpensive. However, as stated, the Baccy ones are very tidy indeed.

B. Arley

I have three somewhere up in the loft Phil, Dapol, I think. I'll have a look for them. As you say though, the Bachmann ones are the way forward long term. The loan of yours in the meantime would be much appreciated though.

• Like 1

The Dapol ones are the old H-D moulding and way too short. Once you have a Bachmann one, you won't be able to put up with the others.

As Brian has said, you can have some of the Parksides... it's very easy to do this:

v29.jpg

ex-GW Diagram V29.

For the more adventurous, you can do this:

lne.jpg

LNER original pattern van based on the GW diagram (V25, I think, though that may be incorrect)

... and you can always have one of these with not too much effort.

grano_zps1824c54f.jpg

K's GW Grano. There are photos of them on the old GE, so they must have got there somehow.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

The Dapol ones are the old H-D moulding and way too short. Once you have a Bachmann one, you won't be able to put up with the others.

As Brian has said, you can have some of the Parksides... it's very easy to do this:

v29.jpg

ex-GW Diagram V29.

lne.jpg

LNER original pattern van based on the GW diagram (V25, I think, though that may be incorrect)

... and you can always have one of these with not too much effort.

grano_zps1824c54f.jpg

K's GW Grano. There are photos of them on the old GE, so they must have got there somehow.

Oh, presumably the Wrenn ones are too short as well. Never mind. I only have them as they are favourite wagons of mine from the early/mid 70s and I bought them when I lived in Wellingborough. Why? Well they were used for Whitworths AFAIK.

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

v29.jpg

ex-GW Diagram V29.

lne.jpg

What's with the W and E suffixes? They're not NPCCS, you know ! :no:

Regards,

John Isherwood.