Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Rather a miserable day here, so outdoor pursuits seem unlikely. Modelling? Possibly. Another of those pictures from Spital Bridge first though.

attachicon.giffrom SB (831x970).jpg

Quite a lot going on here. We have an Up express swinging across the dog leg, yet another Ivatt on the 8.30pm to Melton Constable, the D16 off on its way to Leicester, and a couple of temporarily unemployed pilots. I tried, but failed, to get a bit more contrast into this one.

attachicon.gifIvatt (1280x960).jpg

Like I said, yet another Ivatt. I'm not sure why I was so keen on having the layout set at a time when the M&GN was still open, given that just about every train was headed by one of these.

Gilbert,

I had to do a double take on that black and white photo from Spital Bridge - I thought it was a prototype photo at first. Brilliant!

Andy

The buffet on Crewe station used to give you a penny off a cup of tea if you were on duty. Didn't apply to coffee though.

Wearing my hi-vi usually gets a discount on the Underground, and often mainline as well. My mate with me doesn't wear his whilst travelling between sites, he never gets a discount :)

• Like 3

The magic words were always "o.c.s" standing for on company service.

On LT the crews loved a PNR. Nothing to do with Peterborough North Railway, but Physical Needs Relief which meant getting relieved in more than one sense..

On the Circle Line this was particularly popular at Baker Street.

• RMweb Premium

Another day winds down, and another PN day is drawing to a close too. The B1 off the KX slow is running light engine down to New England.

post-98-0-44385500-1474492203_thumb.jpg

While at the other end the N5 pilot is taking the stock off to the carriage sidings.

post-98-0-26267800-1474492287_thumb.jpg

And that's it for today folks.

• Like 17

Thanks to Gilbert for yesterday and the opportunity to place a little sportscam around the layout whilst a few trains ran, including some places where the sun don't shine (but it gets very grainy then!). It gets a nice low perspective though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8W-IM8Ge68

High

Very enjoyable. Shows Peterboroufh North in a complete new light

Many thanks to Gilbert and Andy for putting it on the thread.

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium

High

Very enjoyable. Shows Peterboroufh North in a complete new light

Many thanks to Gilbert and Andy for putting it on the thread.

Regards

David

All down to Andy, as I wouldn't have a clue how to do it. He should have edited out that old bloke in the background though.

• RMweb Premium

Men searching for an elusive water leak, so far unsuccessfully. Another man painting windowsills in the railway room. Three other men making unwanted and annoying cold calls. That has been the morning so far. All is now calm though, and so very shortly I will get on with things.As usual, some more pictures to be going on with.

post-98-0-75434200-1474626896_thumb.jpg

Another angle on 60533.

post-98-0-99191400-1474626946_thumb.jpg

And a more familiar one.

I now need someone to do a bit of "up a bit, down a bit, a little to the right, now stop."  As no-one is available, trial and error will have to do.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

So now we come to the main purpose of Andy's visit on Wednesday. The video was a very pleasant surprise. A lot of thought has been given to a backscene on the window side of the room at the North end, and I have had great expert help from Tony W in Oz in getting the whole thing off the ground. He has produced a basic background for me, I've no idea how, and also sent it to Andy, who put it all together and brought it over on Wednesday. He then did the "up a bit, down a bit" stuff, and I tried to follow instructions without destroying the very vulnerable bracket signal on the edge of the baseboard. We got it nearly right, but I had another go this morning, and did manage to clout the signal in so doing. I've done my best to put it straight.

Andy asked me to take pictures from various angles, so we can see where we need to go from here, and today was the first chance to do so. The whole thing is in its very early stages, so no more than an impression is available from these images, but I think we are definitely on the right track. It is difficult to move this around on my own, and it refused to go exactly where I wanted it, so apologies for unwanted sloping, and other such things. As always, views and suggestions will be appreciated.

post-98-0-74886500-1474637617_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-55411900-1474637634_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-55260400-1474637658_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-79252500-1474637679_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-32574100-1474637705_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-82117300-1474637756_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-81890800-1474637778_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-62228200-1474637799_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-37006800-1474637821_thumb.jpg

As you see, where possible I just cropped to the backscene itself, though I did a fuller photoshop on one or two just to see how it would look. The silhouettes are going to have to be a lot lighter I think, and the Baker Perkins building on the back wall much lighter too, and set a bit higher which I did in one of the later pictures. I'm happy that this is going to work in the end though.

• Like 16

Ah the Baker Perkins lift tower! Been on top of that many times, whilst maintaining the Police radio site. I was told that it was the tallest building in Peterborough. It had a beautiful lift motor mechanism at the top, totally uneneclosed (H&S today?) and lots of brass and lovely machinery.

Stewart

• Like 1

So now we come to the main purpose of Andy's visit on Wednesday. The video was a very pleasant surprise. A lot of thought has been given to a backscene on the window side of the room at the North end, and I have had great expert help from Tony W in Oz in getting the whole thing off the ground. He has produced a basic background for me, I've no idea how, and also sent it to Andy, who put it all together and brought it over on Wednesday. He then did the "up a bit, down a bit" stuff, and I tried to follow instructions without destroying the very vulnerable bracket signal on the edge of the baseboard. We got it nearly right, but I had another go this morning, and did manage to clout the signal in so doing. I've done my best to put it straight.

Andy asked me to take pictures from various angles, so we can see where we need to go from here, and today was the first chance to do so. The whole thing is in its very early stages, so no more than an impression is available from these images, but I think we are definitely on the right track. It is difficult to move this around on my own, and it refused to go exactly where I wanted it, so apologies for unwanted sloping, and other such things. As always, views and suggestions will be appreciated.

attachicon.gifbackscene 1 (1280x788).jpg

attachicon.gifbackscene 2 (1214x835).jpg

attachicon.gifbackscene 3 (1280x946).jpg

attachicon.gifbackscene 4.JPG

attachicon.gifbackscene 5 (1280x1210).jpg

attachicon.gifbackscene 6 (1280x776).jpg

attachicon.gifbackscene 7 (1280x765).jpg

attachicon.gifbackscene 8 (1280x846).jpg

attachicon.gifbackscene 9 (1280x1065).jpg

As you see, where possible I just cropped to the backscene itself, though I did a fuller photoshop on one or two just to see how it would look. The silhouettes are going to have to be a lot lighter I think, and the Baker Perkins building on the back wall much lighter too, and set a bit higher which I did in one of the later pictures. I'm happy that this is going to work in the end though.

Hi Gilbert

Great I'm provident, I bet it saves you a lot of photoshopping out unwanted items and in my opinion brings the whole layout together from a photographic point of view.

As for my day had two trees cut down and removed this morning, did my back in lifting the last baseboard support frame stupidly on my own, but all my baseboards are now up on framework so it's now time to start looking at building and laying the new track work.

I really like that last set of photos as well.

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium

That scene is a great start. My only thinking would be to try to vary the tone, darker from Station to lighter beyond the bridge, or whatever gives that going away into the distance impression. Not sure that explains what I'm trying to say, however I'm talking about the view one would have had in that summer haze of August 1958.

Phil

Definitely worth pushing on with the backscene, even this very sketchy silhouette has an immediate effect on your photos. I did something similar on my FVRR layout. Silhouette wooded slopes behind the modelled trees do make for an impression of more space than the model actually has.

P1060531-2%20600%20x%20346_zpskiciervq.j

It's a very different scene to PN but the principle of a flat backscene still works. Go for it!

• Like 7

That scene is a great start. My only thinking would be to try to vary the tone, darker from Station to lighter beyond the bridge, or whatever gives that going away into the distance impression. Not sure that explains what I'm trying to say, however I'm talking about the view one would have had in that summer haze of August 1958.

Phil

Well I understand you and you're absolutely right, I was thinking the same on the way back. The fudged skyline and the sky itself needs to be a lot lighter.

Baker Perkins needs to be taller, the terraces need to be a bit lower and the shed roof-line definitely needs to be lower and the chimney needs to swap ends, the backscene strip needs to have about 50cm more at the left and it'll be worth taking a fake horizon on for another stretch to be seen on the ground level shots beneath the bridge to reduce the amount of photoshopping Gilbert will need to do. It'll take a couple of goes to get it right.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Well I understand you and you're absolutely right, I was thinking the same on the way back. The fudged skyline and the sky itself needs to be a lot lighter.

Baker Perkins needs to be taller, the terraces need to be a bit lower and the shed roof-line definitely needs to be lower and the chimney needs to swap ends, the backscene strip needs to have about 50cm more at the left and it'll be worth taking a fake horizon on for another stretch to be seen on the ground level shots beneath the bridge to reduce the amount of photoshopping Gilbert will need to do. It'll take a couple of goes to get it right.

Remember Andy, this is a bloke (me)  making statements, who has never ever 'manipulated a photographic backscene' (slight sniggering allowed after the watershed).

However, I have seen your BCB backscene and also that from CK on Mr. Sweet's layout. Not industrial scenes in the main, but hazy, thus giving an impression of distance.

I wonder also if some sort of clever and very subtle marking could create a look of depth and shape to the frontage of the buildings (e.g. window frame 'shadows')

Phil