Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

Really liking the B&W shots Gilbert, especially the Spital Bridge one, gives a superb viewpoint of the whole complex nature of the station trackwork.

The Dub D and B1 are looking mighty fine too, I never really appreciated either of them until I really got stuck into modelling the Eastern Region, though a B17 in any form is still better...

Cheers

Tony

Rather a miserable day here, so outdoor pursuits seem unlikely. Modelling? Possibly. Another of those pictures from Spital Bridge first though.

attachicon.giffrom SB (831x970).jpg

Quite a lot going on here. We have an Up express swinging across the dog leg, yet another Ivatt on the 8.30pm to Melton Constable, the D16 off on its way to Leicester, and a couple of temporarily unemployed pilots. I tried, but failed, to get a bit more contrast into this one.

Love that shot G!

• RMweb Premium

Excellent photo's, and love that Claud Hamilton - any more of it please?

With best regards,

Rob.

Not at the moment Rob, that will be its last duty on today's sequence. I'm very keen on D16s, but there weren't that many left, and suitable duties are hard to find. Actually, I've already cheated by moving forward slightly the transfer of 62613 to Spital Bridge.

Like I said, yet another Ivatt. I'm not sure why I was so keen on having the layout set at a time when the M&GN was still open, given that just about every train was headed by one of these.

Could it be that ugly engines, covered in gubbins, make good models?

• RMweb Premium

One picture this morning.

post-98-0-87003900-1474364392_thumb.jpg

That Ivatt insists on being in shot again. Actually, it should have departed some time ago, but someone didin't read the sequence instructions properly. Backs on and after three minutes departs, it says.

Horrible wetting drizzle here, but fine three miles away, and sunny in Nottingham. The golf course is two miles away. :sad_mini2:

• Like 18

Hoorah! I've now found out how to access help on Windows 10. Was what I found out helpful? Er, not very. We will pass on to some more pictures.

attachicon.gif7776 leaving.JPG

Here is the L1 starting away with the Grantham local. The five set in tow will eventually arrive at Nottingham, having moved up the ECML in easy stages since lunchtime. KX- Hitchin first, then Hitchin-PN, now PN- Grantham, and later Grantham-Nottingham. I wonder if a passenger leaving KX could have stayed on board the whole way?

attachicon.gif2613 1.JPG

and hot on its heels comes a Leicester local, with a Spital Bridge Claud in charge. Grace and elegance personified.

How lovely!

The reason for the late departure is clear. The fireman forgot the brew cans and has had to rush back to get them.

Let's not forget the railways ran on more then just coal,the main ingredient was tea!     :jester:

Derek,

The railway still runs on tea.

Paul 4475

• Like 2

Paul have you seen the O gauge Grantham Shed layout going free on another post?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115044-layout-for-disposal/&do=findComment&comment=2438612

Phil

Phil,

Thanks for the tip off. I've had a look and suggested three groups in Grantham, that may be of assistance.

I would consider it myself, but as I have no idea how big the layout is, it would be unwise to make rash offers.

The better half might not be impressed either. Mind you, with all those promised models on the way who knows.

Paul 4475

• Like 1

I'm really getting a thing for D16's.  Shame we've sold out of lined ones.

I wish Hornby would bring out a D16 with the original footplate as per 62613. That would allow all sorts of combinations of boiler to be fitted. The model would be very versatile then.

As for the Ivatt 4's. A staple diet of the M&GN at the west end of the route. After that line closed a few moved to Grantham, but we're not well received. They had a habit of the brakes coming on if the boiler pressure dropped to low. A major issue if the thing wasn't steaming to well. I know of one Fireman who fell out with his driver and threw the shovel on the fire in disgust! Ironically, I still like them.

Paul 4475

• RMweb Premium

I wish Hornby would bring out a D16 with the original footplate as per 62613. That would allow all sorts of combinations of boiler to be fitted. The model would be very versatile then.

As for the Ivatt 4's. A staple diet of the M&GN at the west end of the route. After that line closed a few moved to Grantham, but we're not well received. They had a habit of the brakes coming on if the boiler pressure dropped to low. A major issue if the thing wasn't steaming to well. I know of one Fireman who fell out with his driver and threw the shovel on the fire in disgust! Ironically, I still like them.

Paul 4475

Very unlikely I'm afraid, as lots of new tooling would be necessary. Mind you, I did suggest it to Simon Kohler as one of many possible variations a few years ago.

As to the Ivatts, my uncle, a long time driver, told me they were very popular when they arrived at Boston, as they had hardly ever had a post grouping engine shedded there.

• Like 1