Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday saw a visit by TW and Roy@34F. It was great to meet someone who actually worked on the ECML during those last great days of steam on the ECML, and to hear him reminisce. What's more, despite the presence of Tony "Jonah" Wright, the layout behaved pretty well during quite a long running session. No photos taken though, I was too busy concentrating on getting things right, or nearly.

About time for a few photos today, I thought, but rarely has a session turned out so badly, so most of what I took has been discarded. Too much light as usual, so all sorts of things just got bleached out. Here then are the best of a very mediocre bunch.

post-98-0-13415900-1405427435_thumb.jpg

A3 Woolwinder at Platform 2 during its six minute stop with the 1230 Doncaster- KX. Believe it or not, all the blinds were closed when this was taken. I chose the wrong sky entirely......I'm not having a good day.

post-98-0-11561000-1405427592_thumb.jpg

At least one can't go too far wrong with a rear threequarter view of an A3.

post-98-0-63942500-1405427677_thumb.jpg

I was going to bin this one too, as the camera has succeeded in making things which are perpendicular look as though they lean at crazy angles - that platform end water crane in particular. It is something slightly different though, so I left it in.

post-98-0-12200800-1405427878_thumb.jpg

This isn't much better either. :sad_mini:  I'll try to do better next time. Perhaps I really should get some proper lights. Exit muttering darkly.........

• Like 17

Yesterday saw a visit by TW and Roy@34F. It was great to meet someone who actually worked on the ECML during those last great days of steam on the ECML, and to hear him reminisce. What's more, despite the presence of Tony "Jonah" Wright, the layout behaved pretty well during quite a long running session. No photos taken though, I was too busy concentrating on getting things right, or nearly.

About time for a few photos today, I thought, but rarely has a session turned out so badly, so most of what I took has been discarded. Too much light as usual, so all sorts of things just got bleached out. Here then are the best of a very mediocre bunch.

attachicon.gif55 1.jpg

A3 Woolwinder at Platform 2 during its six minute stop with the 1230 Doncaster- KX. Believe it or not, all the blinds were closed when this was taken. I chose the wrong sky entirely......I'm not having a good day.

attachicon.gif55 2.jpg

At least one can't go too far wrong with a rear threequarter view of an A3.

attachicon.gifnorth end close.jpg

I was going to bin this one too, as the camera has succeeded in making things which are perpendicular look as though they lean at crazy angles - that platform end water crane in particular. It is something slightly different though, so I left it in.

attachicon.gifyard.jpg

This isn't much better either. :sad_mini:  I'll try to do better next time. Perhaps I really should get some proper lights. Exit muttering darkly.........

Shouldn't Woolwinder have wing deflectors? not unlike those applied to the A2/2's?

• RMweb Premium

Shouldn't Woolwinder have wing deflectors? not unlike those applied to the A2/2's?

Not in 1958 David. She got the double kylchap in June '58, and as others followed, complaints about smoke impairing visibility started to come in. That shouldn't have been a surprise, as exactly the same had occurred pre war when Humorist was given a double chimney. It took a while before anything was done - July 1959 in fact, which is when Woolwinder and three others were fitted with the wing deflectors. They didn't work either, which shouldn't have come as a surprise either, as they had been tried and failed on Humorist years before.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mr Townend got that problem sorted well and truly but oh the controversy. Personally I liked the double chimney A3s with Elephant ears and especially if the locos also had GN tenders.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

Thankyou Gilbert, it was certainly a joy to see your wonderful railway. Maybe I waved a magic wand over it & TW, improving the behaviour !

Your photos look good to me, you're too critical of yourself, and having seen it in the flesh, I think it makes you realise what a creation you have achieved, when looking at the photos. Many thanks again to you and equally to Tony.

Thanks also to Jeremy for his kind words; hope to see you at the next meeting Jeremy.

Roy.

• Like 2

The double chimney and German deflectors put 'balance' at the front end of the A3's, which previously looked to me to have too short a boiler on too long a chassis. I remember my heart speeding up at the sight of the deflectored  BR green 'Scotsman backing onto its train at Llangollen.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

Hi Gilbert

I've so far got as far page 90 odd in your PN blog. Reading every post on every page. Enjoying every minute.

I must say I was delighted to see Commonwealth of Australia making it's first appearance. (One of my favourite engines  - I wish I'd seen her in 1:1) although yours is a fine example.

Being as I was born close to 10 years after your layout is modelled (and 1/2 a world away) missing out on experiencing all this, your PN and this blog have given me an insight that no book has come close to ever achieving. It really has bought the time and place to life for me.

I have learned so much of the ECML during the last few weeks.

I was lucky enough to see A3 Flying Scotsman run on the Mainline as a young Trainee Engineman when she visited Australia years ago and was a EC Pacific fan from then on. So each time I see a new one (especially A4's) make an appearance here, it's a bonus.

Is there any chance you could get a picture of your A4's together on shed one day please? I have a few A4's myself but don't have the setting that you have created to see them in.

I think it would make a fine screen saver on my computer. :imsohappy:

Kind regards

Ted

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

I've so far got as far page 90 odd in your PN blog. Reading every post on every page. Enjoying every minute.

I must say I was delighted to see Commonwealth of Australia making it's first appearance. (One of my favourite engines  - I wish I'd seen her in 1:1) although yours is a fine example.

Being as I was born close to 10 years after your layout is modelled (and 1/2 a world away) missing out on experiencing all this, your PN and this blog have given me an insight that no book has come close to ever achieving. It really has bought the time and place to life for me.

I have learned so much of the ECML during the last few weeks.

I was lucky enough to see A3 Flying Scotsman run on the Mainline as a young Trainee Engineman when she visited Australia years ago and was a EC Pacific fan from then on. So each time I see a new one (especially A4's) make an appearance here, it's a bonus.

Is there any chance you could get a picture of your A4's together on shed one day please? I have a few A4's myself but don't have the setting that you have created to see them in.

I think it would make a fine screen saver on my computer. :imsohappy:

Kind regards

Ted

Hi Ted,

First, my apologies for not having responded to your very kind comments before now. I wanted to spend a few minutes at least doing so, but I've had very little free time lately. Congratulations on your staying power by the way, every post of 90 pages takes some doing. It has been said before, but it really is posts like yours that make the whole project worth while.

I don't think I could get a shot of all my A4's for practical reasons - there are 16 of them, but I have a free day today, so I'll see what I can do with some of them at least.

• Like 1

Gilbert - all 16 in the same place? Isn't that going to be about as prototypical as the Great Gathering?

Could be fun though - If you8 fancy being ironic, how about a procession of them all being towed through Peterborough by a Class 40 on their way to Cashmores?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert - all 16 in the same place? Isn't that going to be about as prototypical as the Great Gathering?

Could be fun though - If you8 fancy being ironic, how about a procession of them all being towed through Peterborough by a Class 40 on their way to Cashmores?

Oh, how could you. Sacrilege. :O  Anyway, I bet a Class 40 couldn't handle the load, after all they couldn't handle the expresses as well as the A4's. When they hadn't failed, of course. :mosking:

Shock, horror :O :scared:  I don't have 16 A4's, there are only 15. I can't count. Do you realise what this means? I don't have half the class, or even nearly so. I shall have to get two more now. Look what you've started. :swoon:  Nevertheless, here are some photos as requested by Ted, who deserves something for having ploughed through 90 pages so far.

attachicon.gifA4s 1.jpg

Six of Top Shed's finest to start with.

attachicon.gifA4s 2.jpg

and some of them from closer still.

attachicon.gifA4s 3.jpg

And another six.....

attachicon.gifA4s 4.jpg

I nearly didn't include this, but did in the end in the hope that it may shame me into getting rid of these huge lamps. An order for LNER types is winging its way even now.

attachicon.gifA4s 5.jpg

attachicon.gifA4s 6.jpg

and now the Gateshead two, and the Haymarket one.

attachicon.gifA4s 7.jpg

and this one for Ted in particular.

attachicon.gifA4s shopped.jpg

Finally, I've tidied one up, removing extraneous hooks and such like, and given it a sky.

attachicon.gifcoach.jpg

And this is the latest completed conversion, a Dia 155 end door second, which alas will probably get far less attention than the glamorous stuff above, though Jonathan and the Duck in particular will no doubt enjoy it.

And all the A4's which should have curly sixes now do have them, at least I think they do.

Remind me who does the Dia 155? I should add it's a very handsome coach...

Edited by davidw

Wow, thanks Gilbert. I certainly wasn't expecting to see any A4 photo's that quickly.

Don't they look magnificent. It must have taken some time to set them all up like that. But go on, admit it, you've got to be pleased seeing them lined up. Even my wife who has no interest in trains is impressed, she thought they were photo's of 1:1 loco's in a 1:1 setting.

I couldn't decide which picture to use as a screen saver so they'll have to be rotated, but COA will be up first.

15 A4's is a very good effort I think, I shall have to get a wriggle on and improve on my mere 4 in OO and 2 in N.

Up to Page 97 by the way (the roof just arrived), it just keeps getting better.

Thanks again for the effort you went to for those pictures. I don't think I'm the only onlooker who will get a buzz out of it.

kind regards
Ted

Edited by The Blue Streak