Peterborough North

great northern

@ George, but as the '26s spent all their lives at either Kings X, FInsbury Park, Haymarket, Aberdeen and Thurso, surely they would qualify as 'East Coast' locos, ad therefore generate no animosity for being inappropriate.

Late to the party yes, but not inappropriate!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

@ George, but as the '26s spent all their lives at either Kings X, FInsbury Park, Haymarket, Aberdeen and Thurso, surely they would qualify as 'East Coast' locos, ad therefore generate no animosity for being inappropriate.

Late to the party yes, but not inappropriate!

Yes indeed. I remember a couple of visits to Kings Cross in 1959 when there were many of them to be seen. By 1960 though it was all Brush type 2's. I always thought they were quite an attractive design, but fortunately there was no model of the original D5300-19. Now there is........and I bet they occasionally got to Peterborough. Why is temptation constantly put in my path?

If it's any help, the D53xxs passed through Peterborough in pairs during April and May 1960 in the process of being transferred from Hornsey to Scotland.  More on this will appear in Mallard60022's snippets thread in due course if it ever restarts!

Chris

Gilbert,

intended to be constructive, the wheels on the Gresley coach need blackening/ rusting, they stick out like a sore thumb in the photographs although I appreciate they may not be so pronounced in real life.

Regards,Derek.

• RMweb Gold

The Gresley looks very much how I remember them although possibly a little too 'black' but definitely grubby in all the right places.  The thing you perhaps need to think about is the way cleaning affected the position of the dirt as generally, especially with hand cleaning, it would tended to 'clean' the larger flat areas but not get the dirt out of crevices and corners.  Another cleaning trick, especially if labour or time were in short supply, was to do a good job on the windows as they were what the passengers noticed most of all of course (and they were relatively easy to clean).  

• RMweb Premium

Just have to say I'm really liking the aerial shots; nothing quite like seeing it all laid out with the trains snaking in and out of the station...wonderful!

David

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

intended to be constructive, the wheels on the Gresley coach need blackening/ rusting, they stick out like a sore thumb in the photographs although I appreciate they may not be so pronounced in real life.

Regards,Derek.

Thanks Derek, taken as intended, and you are of course absolutely correct. It is that strong light flooding in that does it, but I agree it detracts from the effect of photos, so it goes on my "to do" list. The alternative name for that though is the "don't hold your breath" list, so it may not happen at once.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Gresley looks very much how I remember them although possibly a little too 'black' but definitely grubby in all the right places.  The thing you perhaps need to think about is the way cleaning affected the position of the dirt as generally, especially with hand cleaning, it would tended to 'clean' the larger flat areas but not get the dirt out of crevices and corners.  Another cleaning trick, especially if labour or time were in short supply, was to do a good job on the windows as they were what the passengers noticed most of all of course (and they were relatively easy to clean).  

Thanks Mike. Having seen a photo showing some poor devil trying to clean a Gresley brake with a common or garden brush and what looked like soapy water,  it is no wonder that the job didn't get done properly, and I suppose carriage cleaners wouldn't get into those crevices either. I have done some experiments, and discovered that in order to disguise the lack of tumblehome, and in particular the wrong position of the waist line, rather more dirt needs to be left in the flat areas than perhaps there would be in real life. Compromise yet again.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hello NHN and Gilbert

I know this thread likes to 'get things right', so I hope the following will help.

The van ahead of the N5 is not a CCT; it is a Van BY (or Van C in Southern Railway days). It has a guard's compartment in the middle, hence the 'B' in the description. The 'Y' represents the four wheels. The 8-wheel van is a Van B (also with guard's compartment in the middle). 

For those interested in what are generically known as 'SR utility vans', Mike King has written a three part series of articles in The Southern Way. The first two were in Issues 25 and 26. The final part will be in Issue 26 in July.

All the best and thanks for the lovely fish train photos!

Brian

• RMweb Premium

Hi Brian

Yes, I did 'know' that, I just didn't look close enough!  I have a growing collection of parcels stock and a BY & CCT or two (cough) recently arrived courtesy of Barry O, for a future layout involving (shhh) 3rd rail EMU's and a lot of parcels stock for the loco fleet to fuss with!

Gilbert and I have just spent a most fruitful day altering a Hornby Gresley - the start of a programme of such mods and builds. Since he did a fair amount of the work himself, I'll leave him to tell the tale............................ Probably on Friday.

post-18225-0-94588400-1401308239_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-45336800-1401308274_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-09407500-1401308262_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-06182600-1401308290_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-07729200-1401308310_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-30050600-1401308326_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-96290900-1401308339_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

The trusty D155 corridor third, one of the first I built using a Hornby as a donor and which subsequently had to be rebuilt because I used the wrong sort of glue... :(  Good on yer Gilbert (and Tony) for getting stuck in. At least the most boring part (to me) of soldering in door & grab handles has been minimised with end-door stock. I was able to buy in lots of Buffet Cars for the conversions at a time when they were going for a song. What will be the livery?

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Rather belatedly I shall follow on from TW's post above as requested. My views on the inadequacy of Hornby Gresleys are well known, so for some time I have been trying to find a cost effective, for which read cheap, way of improving them. When they first appeared Tony did some conversions which looked pretty good to me, so that seemed a good way to go. I did not though fancy my chances of success if I tried it myself, so I consulted experts, who told me the process was almost as time consuming as building a full kit, but gave a result which was still compromised.

I mentioned all this to TW in passing. His response was to go straight off to find a suitable carriage and some etched sides and see how long it took. When I visited next day, there was a part completed carriage, and an offer to "supervise" me if I wanted to try to have a go myself. I'd be mad to turn down such an offer, wouldn't I? There and then Tony started on another conversion, using one of my Gresleys and some Comet sides I picked up at York, and we arranged that I would go over and do the rest, with help. Wednesday was the big day, and as you saw, considerable progress was made. Tony is a most considerate tutor, gently putting right my ham fisted efforts, and doing himself the more difficult bits, and those I didn't feel confident about, so the result is more his work than mine, but at least I had some input, and now know how to hold a soldering iron correctly.

So, what conclusions can be drawn from all of this? Well, firstly that how long it takes depends on the complexity of the sides which are to be grafted on. The Dia 155 above got to that state in about four hours I reckon, but Tony's own conversion using Kemilway sides to a similar diagram took much longer, owing to the complexity of the kit. All door stock would take much longer, and brake coaches we doubt could be done at all. We shall finish this one, and I'll have a go at one or two more in the hope that familiarity with tools and experience will make my efforts a bit better, but I shan't I'm afraid get to the stage where I can do the whole thing myself. Tony has the jig to form the tumblehome, so he did that, and my efforts with the minidrill to remove the Hornby sides were so poor as to leave rather a lot to be removed by hand, so he had to do much tidying up. A new interior proved to be necessary. which was done by cutting and shutting a Bachmann Thompson interior that Tony had in his workshop. All in all even I can see that it really isn't much quicker than building a complete kit. I have an offer to build one or more of those under supervision, so I'd be mad to turn that down too, wouldn't I? Particularly as Tony nobly offers to do the nasty bits of soldering that result in burnt fingers. Mind you, his are already damaged beyond repair anyway.

This one will be in maroon, though I'd like to try some crimson and cream ones in due course. I'm very fortunate to have the opportunity to sit with and be guided by someone with Tony's vast experience, and to have the use of his workshop and tools. and I will persevere and try to do as much as I can myself. Watch this space for further developments.

• Like 5

Rather belatedly I shall follow on from TW's post above as requested. My views on the inadequacy of Hornby Gresleys are well known, so for some time I have been trying to find a cost effective, for which read cheap, way of improving them. When they first appeared Tony did some conversions which looked pretty good to me, so that seemed a good way to go. I did not though fancy my chances of success if I tried it myself, so I consulted experts, who told me the process was almost as time consuming as building a full kit, but gave a result which was still compromised.

I mentioned all this to TW in passing. His response was to go straight off to find a suitable carriage and some etched sides and see how long it took. When I visited next day, there was a part completed carriage, and an offer to "supervise" me if I wanted to try to have a go myself. I'd be mad to turn down such an offer, wouldn't I? There and then Tony started on another conversion, using one of my Gresleys and some Comet sides I picked up at York, and we arranged that I would go over and do the rest, with help. Wednesday was the big day, and as you saw, considerable progress was made. Tony is a most considerate tutor, gently putting right my ham fisted efforts, and doing himself the more difficult bits, and those I didn't feel confident about, so the result is more his work than mine, but at least I had some input, and now know how to hold a soldering iron correctly.

So, what conclusions can be drawn from all of this? Well, firstly that how long it takes depends on the complexity of the sides which are to be grafted on. The Dia 155 above got to that state in about four hours I reckon, but Tony's own conversion using Kemilway sides to a similar diagram took much longer, owing to the complexity of the kit. All door stock would take much longer, and brake coaches we doubt could be done at all. We shall finish this one, and I'll have a go at one or two more in the hope that familiarity with tools and experience will make my efforts a bit better, but I shan't I'm afraid get to the stage where I can do the whole thing myself. Tony has the jig to form the tumblehome, so he did that, and my efforts with the minidrill to remove the Hornby sides were so poor as to leave rather a lot to be removed by hand, so he had to do much tidying up. A new interior proved to be necessary. which was done by cutting and shutting a Bachmann Thompson interior that Tony had in his workshop. All in all even I can see that it really isn't much quicker than building a complete kit. I have an offer to build one or more of those under supervision, so I'd be mad to turn that down too, wouldn't I? Particularly as Tony nobly offers to do the nasty bits of soldering that result in burnt fingers. Mind you, his are already damaged beyond repair anyway.

This one will be in maroon, though I'd like to try some crimson and cream ones in due course. I'm very fortunate to have the opportunity to sit with and be guided by someone with Tony's vast experience, and to have the use of his workshop and tools. and I will persevere and try to do as much as I can myself. Watch this space for further developments.

Gilbert,

I think you'll be amazed at how much you'll be able to personally achieve in the coming weeks.Though I might have done more of the work (at least to begin with), don't forget you soldered one pair of sides together, soldered in two droplights, glued one side on, fitted a new cantrail and modified the interior, so don't entirely belittle your achievements.  Anyway, if friends can't help each other, then the World would be a pretty grim place. 

And, you never know, if I go too fast in the rag-top................

• Like 3