Andrew Barclay 'Caledonia' 0-4-0 Fireless from Rapido - Pre-order now available

RapidoCorbs

On 11/02/2024 at 12:38, Neil said:

Ahead of the game here ....

fireless.jpg.24d46cf3e0aebaf9d3064780037c28d6.jpg

You weren’t the only one, my late friend Tim Allsopp made this 7mm narrow gauge fireless loco using one for the creamery on our group layout, though think in the end most of the body was discarded. 

46A8573C-1F68-4F69-B6B5-EB9479B30F26.jpeg.793d53a80c0352fb8c1dd02b9951c1f6.jpeg

Saw a 2’6” gauge fireless loco working in Cuba back in 2000. The Barclay versions are much prettier than this Baldwin one!

dsc_0800.jpeg.3a73adfe7f83b262b1e7ec391217119a.jpeg

This announcement from Rapido has got me wondering about the possibilities of a Barclay narrow gauge version. 

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2

9 hours ago, Andrew Young said:

You weren’t the only one, my late friend Tim Allsopp made this 7mm narrow gauge fireless loco using one for the creamery on our group layout, though think in the end most of the body was discarded. 

46A8573C-1F68-4F69-B6B5-EB9479B30F26.jpeg.793d53a80c0352fb8c1dd02b9951c1f6.jpeg

Saw a 2’6” gauge fireless loco working in Cuba back in 2000. The Barclay versions are much prettier than this Baldwin one!

dsc_0800.jpeg.3a73adfe7f83b262b1e7ec391217119a.jpeg

This announcement from Rapido has got me wondering about the possibilities of a Barclay narrow gauge version. 

Andrew

Cylinders at the front on that one - usually under the cab on a fireless

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, rapidoandy said:

I am pleased to say some rather tiny samples have arrived...

A little work is still required but we are very pleased with these!

You might tempt me yet!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, rapidoandy said:

A little work is still required but we are very pleased with these!

I can’t help but look at the ‘can’ in bare metal and think I wonder if someone will make a pressure vessel to replace it? 😆

Looking even better than the prints. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

"It looks like the Rapido model is the Ardrossan example.  Murray Liston photo shows AB 1952 at Ardrossan Refinery, 1981"

This loco has a couple of Shell logos on it.  Will the Rapido model also have these, or if not, where can get such things?

On 06/07/2024 at 21:43, GeoffBird said:

This loco has a couple of Shell logos on it.  Will the Rapido model also have these, or if not, where can get such things?

Our model is referenced to a photo from an era when it didn't have the logos. I don't know any exact sources for Shell transfers but looking for tank wagon transfers might be a good starting place.

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, rapidoTom said:

Our model is referenced to a photo from an era when it didn't have the logos. I don't know any exact sources for Shell transfers but looking for tank wagon transfers might be a good starting place.

I can supply SHELL transfers, but would need to know the overall height or width.

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Is there any news regarding this model?

One thing that I particularly would like to know about is the sound project as I have DCC ready and sound-fitted examples on order. I don't usually buy factory-fitted sound models in cases such as this because, unlike existing off the shelf models, I can't go into a shop and see and hear them run before deciding whether or not to buy the FFS version or source my own sound and decoder. With this fireless is a case of having to take what's on offer or don't have sound because no fireless sound project exists.

What is bothering me is I have borrowed a factory sound Rapido Hunslet and I really do not like the sound project. There are far too many whistles than necessary and there is no brake function. @rapidoandy @rapidoTom can you please tell us if there will be a brake function?
Are we going to get any information on the sound project, or get to hear it before the models go into production?

• Rapido staff

On our sound projects at the moment we are generally standardising on which function does what etc. 

This means 'brake' is usually in the same place on each model, for example. Sound project's not been completed for this yet but I expect there will be a brake as with other recent releases.

As with the recent Stirling, Met E etc. we are trying to do 'How does it sound?' videos that go through all the functions.

• Like 1