Genesis Coaches Batch 2 - from Hattons to Rails

BrakeCoach

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

One explanation could be that the Genesis coach range is sold out on pre-orders - meaning that there is little incentive for Rails to promote something which they cannot accrue significant additional sales from. 

By contrast the locos Acurascale took on still had plenty of scope for additional sales so publicity / keeping them in the public eye by talking about progress on those locos (which may well result in additional sales) is worth doing

And that's the crux of it, Phil. Rails are simply distributing pre-orders. I'm on thier mailing list and receive numerous e-mails extolling me to spend money with them, take up their offers etc, etc. 

BUT...

As a customer who has a pre-order with them....nothing. I actually care little about when these arrive, really, I don't.  Communication though costs nothing but does much to provide a positive impression of the business..

An update on who will be responsible for future production runs ( if in fact anymore are to be produced )  of these coaches would be nice as well. 

Rob

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Rails have communicated.  They have posted on this thread and have responded to individual enquiries from people on IRM.  

Essentially this is a Hattons project that Rails have taken on board through their own goodwill.

If you feel aggrieved because they haven’t provided communication tailored in the way to which you feel entitled then I guess you will have to exist in a constant state of aggrievement.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I missed out on the pre-orders, I wasn't quick enough on the button before they sold out. If anyone's pre-ordered a GE set and changed their minds I'd be interested.😁 

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 02/05/2024 at 13:28, Oliver Rails said:

Hi, 

Sorry for the radio silence regarding the Genesis coaches.

We are waiting an update regarding production and aim to update customers as soon as we have this information.

The situation hasn't changed however, all Hatton's existing orders are secure. The plan is that once the coaches are imminent to arrive, the orders will be injected into our system which will generate invoices for customers to update any shipping details, choose postage and add payment details etc.

Our tech guys have been working on this to make it a smooth as possible.

As soon as we have firm details regarding delivery we will update everyone.

Many thanks for your patience 

Kind Regards
Oliver

Production delays and problems with shipping one can understand but it looks like this update regarding production is also coming by the slow boat from China.

And we still don't seem to know who now owns the tooling,  so it doesn't seem likely that Batch 3 is going to happen any time soon  - unless the new owners are keeping theit cards close to their chests and maybe there's something in the pipe line that might even overtake Batch 2!  Given the overwhelming success of batch 1, it seems there's business opportunity being missed.  The project does seem to have lost its impetus.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Production delays and problems with shipping one can understand but it looks like this update regarding production is also coming by the slow boat from China.

And we still don't seem to know who now owns the tooling,  so it doesn't seem likely that Batch 3 is going to happen any time soon  - unless the new owners are keeping theit cards close to their chests and maybe there's something in the pipe line that might even overtake Batch 2!  Given the overwhelming success of batch 1, it seems there's business opportunity being missed.  The project does seem to have lost its impetus.

Careful Michael........ You'll find yourself getting told off by a Rails fan boy................

But..........

I, along with many others I'm sure, have received comprehensive updates only last week about the Andrew Barclay and P class from Accurascale.

As I said, it's a pity that Rails seem incapable of keeping their Genesis customers updated on progress. 

But then again, they are apparently only distributing Batch two out of goodwill.........

Rob

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I understand that Rails had acquired the tooling rights for these.

According to statements issued by Rails themselves they have not acquired the tooling - all they are doing is distributing the 'batch 2' models which are in production or on their way from China.

In essence its no different from Bachmanns 'EFE Rail' brand which distributes models made by others or even some of the 'rails exclusives' where I understand the tooling is actually owned by Dapol for example.

In fact unlike the rest of the ex Hattons models the Genesis coach tooling is the only set of tooling which we don't know where it has gone (Accurascale have also said they don't own it) and it may in fact have been transferred to the Chinese factory which Hattons originally engaged to produce the models.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Hattons decides to cease trading.

Rails and Accurascale step in to save some of the Hattons Original projects.  They didn’t have to do this but there are probably sound commercial reasons for doing so as well as “goodwill”.

Perhaps inevitably there are delays in the Genesis Coaches production, possibly due to the tooling not being owned by Rails or some other commercial reasons which we are not and never will be privy to.

Some updates have been provided by Rails and the latest one on RMWeb states that when they know more they will let us know.

If you require information on the production schedule then you are free to ask Rails directly as some on IRM have done.  

It strikes me that continually complaining about this on here is a bit pointless unless such venting makes you feel better.

Perhaps undertaking some modelling would ease the frustration - if you build it they will come…

Cheers

Darius

Not a “Rails Fanboy” per se but I have bought a lot of stuff from them with no issues, and Kernow, and TMC, and JADLAM and many more, plus, of course, Hattons.  

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Hattons decides to cease trading.

Rails and Accurascale step in to save some of the Hattons Original projects.  They didn’t have to do this but there are probably sound commercial reasons for doing so as well as “goodwill”.

Perhaps inevitably there are delays in the Genesis Coaches production, possibly due to the tooling not being owned by Rails or some other commercial reasons which we are not and never will be privy to.

Some updates have been provided by Rails and the latest one on RMWeb states that when they know more they will let us know.

If you require information on the production schedule then you are free to ask Rails directly as some on IRM have done.  

It strikes me that continually complaining about this on here is a bit pointless unless such venting makes you feel better.

Perhaps undertaking some modelling would ease the frustration - if you build it they will come…

Cheers

Darius

Not a “Rails Fanboy” per se but I have bought a lot of stuff from them with no issues, and Kernow, and TMC, and JADLAM and many more, plus, of course, Hattons.  

Quite agree. If these models never see the light of day I will be disappointed, naturally, but it will have cost me nothing. This is a highly unusual situation - maybe unique, so lets give them time to sort things out.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

Surprised no one has mentioned EFE as a potential purchaser of the toolings.

If anyone is going to do anything with them I expect we won’t hear until Rails have cleared Batch 2 so there is no confusion or rush to alter orders.

But anyway in the meantime we just have Batch 2 to arrive when it arrives.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Surprised no one has mentioned EFE as a potential purchaser of the toolings.

Maybe because EFE are not a manufacturer in the first place!

As far as I know EFE is owned by Bachmann and its sole reason for existing in the first place is as a marketing and distribution channel for models made outside Bachman with the tooling owned by 3rd parties - (e.g. Kernow)

Thus If the Genesis coaches re-emerged under the EFE brand it would because an unspecified 3rd party purchased off the tooling but decided to contract out marketing and distribution to Bachmann.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, jhb171achil said:

Any updates on the Genesis 6-wheelers which were on order when hattons closed?

Production is believed to be imminent and once they are on their way to the U.K. Rails of Sheffield will start contacting those who have pre-ordered to confirm orders etc.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 26/07/2024 at 06:46, phil-b259 said:

In fact unlike the rest of the ex Hattons models the Genesis coach tooling is the only set of tooling which we don't know where it has gone (Accurascale have also said they don't own it) and it may in fact have been transferred to the Chinese factory which Hattons originally engaged to produce the models.

Whos got the beilhacks, RHTT stock ?

Also the 14xx, and 10000/1 ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

Maybe because EFE are not a manufacturer in the first place!

As far as I know EFE is owned by Bachmann and its sole reason for existing in the first place is as a marketing and distribution channel for models made outside Bachman with the tooling owned by 3rd parties - (e.g. Kernow)

Thus If the Genesis coaches re-emerged under the EFE brand it would because an unspecified 3rd party purchased off the tooling but decided to contract out marketing and distribution to Bachmann.

I wonder who owns the ex-LLC Class 15 tooling?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bucoops said:

I wonder who owns the ex-LLC Class 15 tooling?

If it was like how Palitoy marketed products incl Mainline but did not (except in a few cases) own the tooling. So it could be the tooling remains with whoever was the manufacturer.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

If it was like how Palitoy marketed products incl Mainline but did not (except in a few cases) own the tooling. So it could be the tooling remains with whoever was the manufacturer.

From following the LLC thread at the time the impression was that the company owned the tooling - but confirmation or otherwise, who knows?

• Like 1