Genesis Coaches Batch 2 - from Hattons to Rails

BrakeCoach

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if Rails will acquire the toolings as well?  The announcement seems to suggest Rails will take on the processing of the second batch (including my order for a Midland rake) but I'm sure given Rails have been doing some pre-grouping locos taking on the production could make some sense.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, NZRedBaron said:

Glad to hear they're going to a good home.

But is rails really their ‘home’ so to speak?

As far as I can tell Rails involvement is simply to distribute the second batch of coaches which are currently under production.

That’s not the same thing as Rails acquiring the tooling for the Genesis coaches…..

When you couple that to the fact that Acurascale are hinting they have acquired more than just the Ps, Barclays and Warwell from Hattons then it’s by no means certain that the tooling for the Genesis coaches could also be heading that way once the 2nd batch has been produced.

And before anyone says “why split the forthcoming models between two companies then” then it’s worth considering logistics It could simply be that the sheer volume of coaches due to arrive meant it was simply too much to dump everything on one suitor so the distributors of in production models was split between two of them.

But whatever happens, the most important thing is it looks like the Genesis coaches have a future with someone….

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

I wonder if Rails will acquire the toolings as well?  The announcement seems to suggest Rails will take on the processing of the second batch (including my order for a Midland rake) but I'm sure given Rails have been doing some pre-grouping locos taking on the production could make some sense.

Depends who owns the toolings and what arrangement those tooling have for use.

for instance Dapol 10000/1, Oxford ICI, Heljan 28/Garratt etc,  DJ 14xx all came in a Hattons box or comission.

Those arrangements may not be clear cut to us consumers, even if the retailer was clearly Hattons.

Things like the RHTT, Beilhacks etc will be interesting to see where they go.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

*IF* the tooling hasn't gone to Rails, I wouldn't expect it to be Accurascale that takes it on - neverwassas is not their thing. I wouldn't be surprised if Rapido took them on. Conspiracy theory time - Rapido doing mystery boxes - to build up cash for a tooling suite? You heard it here first lol.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hopefully some coaches for the 812 to pull would be nice but can also compliment and encourage more pre-grouping locos that rails and others have been responsible for recently.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Rails have acquired the tooling rights for these; Accurascale are not doing them.

Great news.  Although they would look daft doing 70 behind an 86 on "Wednesford" they wouldn't look out of place on the second layout.  They are a nice model and provide an opportunity for impressionistic pre-grouping layouts for the non-anal rivet counters.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Rails have acquired the tooling rights for these; Accurascale are not doing them.

I think Accurascale already said in the past that they will not do generics (like coaches & wagons). Indeed they even did that joke mk 1,2,3 mixed generic coach in double liveries a few years back!

22 hours ago, adb968008 said:

for instance Dapol 10000/1, Oxford ICI, Heljan 28/Garratt etc,  DJ 14xx all came in a Hattons box or comission.

I guess Dapol, Oxford and Heljan could end up at those manufacturers. Indeed Heljan already did a general release of the Garratts. The last on the list is something of a cursed child...

22 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Things like the RHTT, Beilhacks

Safe bet they are with the A team. Time will tell of course.

Now that Rails have the generic coaches... Some (say 4 or 6) in LCDR could be nice ;-)

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

To accord with Data Protection regulations there must be some communication with you before any pre order is visible with Rails. 

Depends what was in the Ts&Cs that you agreed to. If they stated that Hattons could share your details with third parties for the purposes of paymenys znd shipping, they may already be covered.

You already get shipping notifications from some companies that show what you are receiving and some payment methods list the goods when you pay. 

Roy

7 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Depends what was in the Ts&Cs that you agreed to. If they stated that Hattons could share your details with third parties for the purposes of paymenys znd shipping, they may already be covered.

You already get shipping notifications from some companies that show what you are receiving and some payment methods list the goods when you pay. 

Roy

Checked Hatons comments, they are getting round the Data Protection issues by saying on the website https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail?id=1504 

Please let us know if we DO NOT have your permission to transfer your preorder, you can contact us via email. If we do not hear from you, your preorder will automatically move over

. Would have thought to properly comply individual communciation would be neccessary.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As I understand it, if you want to share info with a third party, that party has to be named at the time of the agreement being made. So murky waters maybe

Will anyone get upset that their info gets passed to Rails without their permission? I'd hope not, but some people may have beef with Rails I suppose.

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

As I understand it, if you want to share info with a third party, that party has to be named at the time of the agreement being made.

Not quite true, if you use a range of suppliers for a specific purpose, you can list that purpose, not the specific entities. The examples given in the guidelines specifically talk about payments and delivery. 

Roy

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Would be an interesting test case. I'm sure the pre-order book was a strong consideration for taking on the IP.

Hatton's privacy policy does state "We may also share or transfer your data with third parties should all or some of its business transfer to another party. "

The reading of 'its' is important here. Does its refer to Hattons themselves - or - another third party such as a delivery firm that was going to be used but later was changed.

Rightly, Hattons could have contacted all pre-orders to say "go contact Rails or you get nothing at all, we aren't sending your details over", leaving Rails in a position they've paid for just the IP that might have no interest and maybe people miss this transfer communication and their pre-orders do not get done. Or, Hattons takes the risk to send the data to Rails to try and keep the majority of people happy but run the risk of falling foul of the law.

There are some examples and cases that cover selling of personal data during an insolvency, but nothing that I can find easily about a voluntary business closure.

On 10/02/2024 at 12:41, Butler Henderson said:

Checked Hattons comments, they are getting round the Data Protection issues by saying on the website https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail?id=1504 

Please let us know if we DO NOT have your permission to transfer your preorder, you can contact us via email. If we do not hear from you, your preorder will automatically move over

. Would have thought to properly comply individual communication would be necessary.

Well, I received an e-mail from Hattons about the transfer, so I guess that does count as individual communication.  The only problem is that there wasn't very long between when I received the e-mail from Hattons and when I got an e-mail from Accurascale confirming that they had received my pre-order details from Hattons, which means that if I hadn't wanted my details passed on, I'd have had to read the Hattons e-mail and responded right away.

• Like 1

I, for one, would love to see more of the Genesis coaches be produced, as well as their bogie variants. (Totally not because I missed their second run ;) )

The Genesis coaches seem to be very adored by railway modellers, and it makes sense if they continue to milk their fame.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Interestingly the first I knew about the transfer was reading this page

Unless the email has gone into spam, which I check frequently, I have not had any communication concerning the Genesis coaches I have/had on order.

Looking at my Rails pre orders they are not showing so one wonders if this has yet to happen.

• Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, AMJ said:

Looking at my Rails pre orders they are not showing so one wonders if this has yet to happen.

Same.

12 hours ago, Rich Uncle Skeleton said:

I do wish I preordered a couple of these. My own plan for some generic coaches was to chop up my old Hornby 4 wheelers, but they’ll never look as nice as these.

Surely Rails didn't purchase the tooling to decorate their office. We can be fairly certain that patience will be rewarded. The popularity of the Hattons releases suggests these could be a regular offering for many years to come.

• Agree 2