Bachmann Class 30/31

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Mophead45143 said:

Well, it certainly looks a lot better than the Hornby model at least, but performance is obviously very important!

I'm still debating whether or not to pick one of these up. I have a few blue Accurascale ones on order which looks fantastic from the pictures available.

Cameron

Depends whether quality sound reproduction is high up on your list of priorities .

I'm afraid it doesn't tick that box .

I have one and have come to the same conclusion as @uk_pm but I will stick with mine and persevere as it is a nice model

Love the fan too !

However , it will find itself on the workbench along with the 25 that I bought at the same time , there will be a solution.

Shouldn't have to do it on a £300 loco i know, but we are where we are .

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mophead45143 said:

Well, it certainly looks a lot better than the Hornby model at least, but performance is obviously very important!

I was struck by how much sharper the Bachmann model looks compared to the Hornby one in the local model shops cabinet.  Agree the Accurascale looks superb in photo’s though I don’t think they do green as well as Bachmann.  I’m committed to a Bachmann green 30 in any case so I’ll soon enough find out what they are like!

12 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Bit of a dilemma ...I like Bachmann but with reports of poor performance im put off for the moment. .

The mechanism is very simple, and ten minutes with a meter will detect any loss of continuity in the circuits for rectification. It's a rare RTR OO model that cannot be improved 'somewhere' in this respect, even if just tweaking a wiper or giving it some running time to polish up the contact points on wheels and wiper is all that is required

Many will doubtless feel such problems should not be present, but in the event that these arise the ability to return 'not fit for purpose' derisks the transaction.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

The mechanism is very simple, and ten minutes with a meter will detect any loss of continuity in the circuits for rectification. It's a rare RTR OO model that cannot be improved 'somewhere' in this respect, even if just tweaking a wiper or giving it some running time to polish up the contact points on wheels and wiper is all that is required

Many will doubtless feel such problems should not be present, but in the event that these arise the ability to return 'not fit for purpose' derisks the transaction.

Yep. I’m one of them . I’ll wait and see if the wiper problems are just badly bent wipers or something more sinister  . I have 2 blue Hornby ones to eBay in the mean time anyway .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul.Uni said:

TMC are showing that their exclusive of 31452 Minotaur has arrived

Mine has been dispatched and will be delivered next week due to no one being in to receive parcels at the moment!

• RMweb Premium

For those wanting to add a driver and second man into those cavernous cabs , they can do so after teasing the cab out 

its not glued in for once .

There's 2 dowels onto which the floor sits just forward of the bulkhead 

The tricky bit is to free the  lugs either side of the cab floor  just forward of the seats .

They go into rectangular slots on  the  inner cab sides .

I chose to score them with a knife rather than try pulling the cab sides apart .

The cabs will probably be glued back in with a drop of Krystal Klear.20240910_220407.jpg.dd4f27c5322e50908d6283d0f4b474da.jpg20240910_210839.jpg.8a7027bd65e7ba69d93d7d28363f4ee4.jpg20240910_210729.jpg.0dec69f3e5751b834096966b25168c4b.jpg20240910_213148.jpg.156efab50ebbfb8ca0954c47e0c7eca8.jpg

Edited by Albie the plumber
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
On 08/09/2024 at 20:33, MikeParkin65 said:

If it’s the same Bachmann 15x11 speaker as used in the class 24 I found the Roads and Rails drop in replacements do increase clarity and definition. Bass is of course subject to the laws of physics - only solution there will be finding a way to fit a bigger speaker.  

Or even two new speakers in this one. It's a pity that Bachmann push all of the innovations, but do not pay attention to the sound quality. It might help if the bass and treble could be adjusted which is a benefit with ESU V5 decoders, but I assume not possible with the Zimos.

It would be good to hear a sound comparison with the R & R drop in speaker.

I watched the Tony Walker video as attached and yes, the sound is tinny, plus notice the two sound cut outs over pointwork.

If @Market65 gets pick up improvement by adding to the centre wheelsets, then perhaps the bogies are rocking and losing contact with the outer wheelsets?

Question: Is the 15 X 11 the same as that attached to the ESU sound decoders which I usually detach and have plenty of spares?

Edited by zr2498
Extra question.
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, zr2498 said:

Question: Is the 15 X 11 the same as that attached to the ESU sound decoders which I usually detach and have plenty of spares?

Dont think it is as R&R sell the ESU one separately. Worth trying tho if you've got some spare ESU to hand

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, zr2498 said:

Or even two new speakers in this one. It's a pity that Bachmann push all of the innovations, but do not pay attention to the sound quality. It might help if the bass and treble could be adjusted which is a benefit with ESU V5 decoders, but I assume not possible with the Zimos.

It would be good to hear a sound comparison with the R & R drop in speaker.

I watched the Tony Walker video as attached and yes, the sound is tinny, plus notice the two sound cut outs over pointwork.

If @Market65 gets pick up improvement by adding to the centre wheelsets, then perhaps the bogies are rocking and losing contact with the outer wheelsets?

shame really as I feel it is the same with the newer tooled 20’s I have too 

• Like 1

Looks like Road and Rails are preparing a video about swapping out the fitted speakers for two mega bass speakers. Have to see if that improves the bass response more. I've modified the Bachmann 20, but can't remember what I did. Will have to take the body off to check, but it does improve the sound. 

3 hours ago, Tony Walker said:

I've modified the Bachmann 20, but can't remember what I did. Will have to take the body off to check, but it does improve the sound. 

The common one seems to be a pair of 20x20x7 megabass minis. Although lately I've been tempted with trying the 45x20x7 tablet speaker to see if that offers any further improvement, assuming it'll fit...if not that can go into a 40. I'd hope the 20x20 fits into the 31, but as the Railfreight ones aren't quite here yet I'll have to wait before I can try that option.

• RMweb Gold
On 11/09/2024 at 01:49, Albie the plumber said:

20240910_213148.jpg.156efab50ebbfb8ca0954c47e0c7eca8.jpg

Poor geezer has no feet, how is he going to keep the deadman's pedal down?

Are Bachmann going to do different versions of the brake handle for dual braked machines?

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Tony Walker said:

Looks like Road and Rails are preparing a video about swapping out the fitted speakers for two mega bass speakers. Have to see if that improves the bass response more. I've modified the Bachmann 20, but can't remember what I did. Will have to take the body off to check, but it does improve the sound. 

Tony

I did the 20 X 20s in a couple of Class 20s, but there is another option now. Apologies for moving off 30/31 to 20!

image.png.197c4856ec7c941aca016cfaf6b8d336.png

A new ESU passive radiator speaker

image.png.a50a6371d3a3827f7d4776680a82a397.png

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I can't see the need for a stay alive on these kind of locos but I can see the need for all wheel pickup... I wish Bachmann had gone for that option! I'm of the opinion is if there's a wheel on a loco it should be usefully doing something pickup wise.

• Like 1
  • Agree 12
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, zr2498 said:

Tony

I did the 20 X 20s in a couple of Class 20s, but there is another option now. Apologies for moving off 30/31 to 20!

image.png.197c4856ec7c941aca016cfaf6b8d336.png

A new ESU passive radiator speaker

image.png.a50a6371d3a3827f7d4776680a82a397.png

Well I for one am grateful as this one is on my hit list .

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Dagworth said:

Poor geezer has no feet, how is he going to keep the deadman's pedal down?

Are Bachmann going to do different versions of the brake handle for dual braked machines?

Andi

It got worse for the poor fella as I had to amputate his right leg up to his thigh to get him to sit squarely !

Can't see Bachmann doing a different control desk for an AB/VB loco .

SLW yes , Bachmann no.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Albie the plumber said:

It got worse for the poor fella as I had to amputate his right leg up to his thigh to get him to sit squarely !

Always said that 31s were draughty enough to freeze bits off you, this poor chap is the proof!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, zr2498 said:

Just seen a Roads and Rails speaker upgrade to the 31. Some improvement perhaps?

Watched this video on my laptop after plugging my earphones in .

Its easier to compare the original sound to the new sound .

What a difference !

I'm off to the shed to rid the loco of those sugar cubes and then await delivery of the 20x20 speakers as it was obvious 

that this was the only speaker that was going to fit without a fight .

• Like 1