Ratio 247 - LOCOMOTIVE COALING TOWER KIT

PeterStiles

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone actually managed to build this?

I'm not inexperienced in building plastic kits, and I'd probably say I've put together hundreds of plastic kits of various scales and quality throughout the years.

But this is the first time a kit has made me cry. All but three of the handrail posts broke either as I cut them ever so carefully from the spru, or as I tried to run the handrail wire through them. The girders that connect the ladder to the main structure are similarly fragile, which brings me into the ladder itself... Two pieces of plastic n-scale ladder which you are supposed to glue together end to end...

Is this kit actually impossible or should I just consider myself useless and totally incompetent in a field in which I thought I was actually fairly skilled?

I'm not interested in hearing about where I can obtain metal ladders or extra girderage, I'm just interested to hear if anyone has built one as per instructions...

• Friendly/supportive 2

Built one when it came out, more or less OOB, if I recall, adding a shelter for the coaler as per the Wick and Oban  examples. Don't recall many problems with the kit, but it was a couple of decades ago. I've still got it and can take a look to see if I did use any add ons, but don't recall doing so.

xpost-2642-0-25850800-1300658843_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Are we talking 4mm or 2mm?  I thought Peter was asking about 2mm, but Ben's looks like 4mm to me.

I have a 4mm one part built but it comes without the gate operating mechanism which I have found basic drawings that show it but have yet to build. IMHO a significant omission.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, it is the 2mm Scale version I'm crying over. 

I can see how it'd be a lot more manageable in 4mm...

Maybe it's time to go Senior Scale, if only I had the room.

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, PeterStiles said:

Yes, it is the 2mm Scale version I'm crying over. 

I can see how it'd be a lot more manageable in 4mm...

Maybe it's time to go Senior Scale, if only I had the room.

Yes, mine is 4mm. I chickened out of any 2mm thoughts a long time ago.....Best of luck....

• RMweb Premium

I'm embarrassed to put this here really. 

DSC_1664.JPG.76284dd7b28c1207bf1b853dd2e7729b.JPG

I've bodged a hand rail - plastic rodding, brass rodding and super glue. Too much super glue, in fact. I'm not going to be able to fix the railing astride the ladder, I'll ruin it trying to glue the 4mm long posts to it, so obviously my maintenance guys are Really Hard and don't need no stinkin' hand-rail. I used a broken piece of girdering to help attach the two halves of the ladder together.

And, erm, let's not talk about the opening at the bottom of the conveyor being fitted 90 degrees out - I was having a bad day, ok... I'll find a reason why...

I used Revelle plastic cement because I like the metal tube delivery mechanism, but even delivering the glue one drop at a time was too much for some of the smaller pieces of plastic - many of the girders are warped :(

it'll look better when it's painted and planted, I'm sure.

'N' scale... I love it but I often think it doesn't love me.

P[

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Peter well done for persevering. Just finishing off the 2mm one myself. No ladder handrails as utterly impossible. I’m trying cotton for the top safety rails. I’ll love to talk to the designer who put this together. There should at least be a health warning on the Peco website.

On 10/02/2024 at 14:51, PeterStiles said:

I used Revelle plastic cement because I like the metal tube delivery mechanism

Similarly to you I've used Revelle plastic cement before because of the fine metal tube however in my (admittedly limited) modelling experience the glue itself doesn't seem to 'bite' enough to hold whatever is being glued while it sets. 

Considering that you've done a good job of that kit, I model in 00 and struggle with the size of some kit parts (I wouldn't even try in N!)

Also if it helps I've had a go at fitting sprung buffers and 3 links to some mineral wagons recently (00) and although mostly successful the swear jar is getting pretty full! 

• RMweb Premium

Decided that I wasn't going to lose much more of my life painting, so sprayed all over with black then a "highlight" spray with dark-redDSC_16842.JPG.81ddb3fedccb88abe7178fc535c00348.JPG

I've got some "coal" to add into the hopper.

I pity any poor n-scale person who has to climb that ladder and then stand on the platform, I'd not trust those railings...

• Like 4
  • Funny 1