Ex-GWR Dean Goods decals

Hi everyone. 

I wanted a Dean Goods on my little ex-GWR BR shunting layout but the only one I could get was a WD version.  I found Railtec could do the transfers/decals (as you wish) for me but, now they are here, I need a little help.

They asked some questions:

- Which running number you would like;
- Whether the 3d cabside plates have a black or red background;
- Whether the running number should be lined or unlined;
- Which shed code; ***
- What power classification and on what colour background (if any) ***
- What size crest (small is approx 3mm high, medium 5mm high, large 9mm high)
- Whether the crests should both be left-facing as standard?

The questions with *** are the problems. Now I have the transfers I don't know where these go on the model. Here is a photo of the sheet. Obviously, I know where the BR logo goes (this is actually a spare that they provide.  The three may not be quite the correct for this loco but I had to guess a bit when ordering but - hey ho - never mind - I know little about the GWR/BR so I am happy just to have something. Can I just add that the 3D decal of the number on the cab side was brilliant. They print these up especially for you so the service is wonderful.

There are three, actually that I can't place. Can anyone tell me where they go?

decal.jpg

Edited by Longhaireddavid

41 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Re Dean Goods axle load decals: was it uncoloured or blue??

Shed plate on smokebox door.

I had a look around and concluded that it was red if we are talking about the C plate. Where does it go? I think that it goes below the number on the cab side.

Edited by Longhaireddavid

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Longhaireddavid said:

I had a look around and concluded that it was red if we are talking about the C plate. Where does it go? I think that it goes below the number on the cab side.

The red C is incorrect for a Dean Goods - they were classified 'Uncoloured'.

CJI.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Dean Goods: Uncoloured for route availability, Power class A (not Ungrouped as previously stated). So no need for that decal at all. (But red would never have been right.) See Jason's post below.

The cast iron "Caution" notice goes inside the cab, either on the left hand side sheet or the left side of the roof, but you may not consider it worth doing. Similar to this:

GWR 1400 Class 1450 Cab and Controls

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

Dean Goods: Uncoloured for route availability, Ungrouped for power class. So no need for that decal at all. (But red would never have been right.)

The cast iron "Caution" notice goes inside the cab, either on the left hand side sheet or the left side of the roof, but you may not consider it worth doing. Similar to this:

GWR 1400 Class 1450 Cab and Controls

Power Class A

There should have been a white A painted on the cab in a white disc but very few engines got it. Mostly 16XX and 2021 Pannier Tanks.

As here on 2112.

https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/GWRSteam-1/18641897-GWR-Wolverhampton-Geo/George-Armstrong-2021-SaddlePannier-Tank-class/i-f2BdM78/A

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

48 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Power Class A

There should have been a white A painted on the cab in a white disc but very few engines got it. Mostly 16XX and 2021 Pannier Tanks.

As here on 2112.

https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/GWRSteam-1/18641897-GWR-Wolverhampton-Geo/George-Armstrong-2021-SaddlePannier-Tank-class/i-f2BdM78/A

Jason

You mean a white circle, not a disc. Sometimes the circle was omitted. 

Ian R

• Agree 1

I have serious doubts about Plymouth 83D having a Dean Goods in BR Days.    For many years Exeter's 2251 was the furthest west allocation of an 0-6-0 Tender loco, basically for ballast workings but it spent time on Exeter  Paignton locals.

• Like 1