The Broc Branch in Om scale - an ambitious project that stalled for a decade but is now reawakening

• RMweb Premium

I got a bit distracted this morning. Thought I'd try some different materials including cutting thicker wood, and ended up making some chocolate boxes.

Broc2012410.jpg.117245197b822da156f528ef3c51f785.jpg

They are cut from 8mm square wood strip. This required me to get much better at aligning the cut pattern with the material. There's only so much that can be done with the camera resolution especially with a thick material that is above the calibrated focus plane. So I ended up engraving some alignment marks with the laser, in spare material at each end of the stripwood, and then carefully realigning the cutting artwork and re-engraving until the the alignment marks were central on the wood strip. Then I engraved one side of the crates. I then rolled the strip over and repeated the alignment process before engraving the second side, and then using a much more powerful laser setting to cut the stripwood into individual crates:

IMG_6010.JPG.73af1a8af1fb5f69d10b6bcc2258aed5.JPG

With careful sanding it is possible to remove the blackened ends; I didn't do that until after taking the photo.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

This is a great thread, some lovely modelling! I have only read the last few pages but looks a very interesting prototype and will start from the beginning when I have an hour spare.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

This combo is nearly ready after a long wait with lots of other distractions. Hopefully tomorrow I can add the last few details and weathering touches, and then the biggest wagon on the layout will be ready for service:

IMG_6013.JPG.ba982357015ba8248c89f9263ab37e3e.JPG

Looking at this image on screen I don't think the combination of lighting and phone camera is flattering the weathering shades and colours. Hopefully it will be be better on the layout.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

A few photos of the scenic end of the layout with some of the more recent projects featured. As ever, there's still a lot to finish, in fact there's a lot still to start!

At some stage I should get out the proper camera and tripod, and get some shots with a better depth of field.

IMG_6021.JPG

IMG_6017.JPG

IMG_6016.JPG

IMG_6015.JPG

IMG_6014.JPG

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 5

Absolutely stunning model this! Once it’s ’finished’ (if they ever are!) it’s really going to look amazing.

The weathering on the van looks great. Is it permanently attached to the two transporter wagons or can it be removed?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, 40 058 said:

Absolutely stunning model this! Once it’s ’finished’ (if they ever are!) it’s really going to look amazing.

The weathering on the van looks great. Is it permanently attached to the two transporter wagons or can it be removed?

Thanks! It is going to be a lifetime's work, no doubt. I would say 'it keeps me out of the pub' but it's not 100% successful in that regard.

At an early stage (over a decade ago) I decided that I wouldn't actually model the standard gauge wagons being rolled on and off the transporters - essentially each standard gauge wagon will be semi-permanently paired with its transporter wagon(s). However, the wagons aren't permanently attached to the transporters - they will lift off. But generally the transporters are set up for a particular wheelbase of standard gauge wagon so with the 'hand of God' I can swap wagons around prior to a running session.

These two transporters are set up to carry a bogie vehicle, so it would be possible to load other bogie freight vehicles on this pair of transporters, if I made an alternative coupling bar of the appropriate length. I don't actually have any other standard gauge bogie vehicles, and for the Broc Branch there aren't really any other prototypical options that I'm aware of. But these large Habils sliding wall bogie wagons were common in my modelling period, and they all seem to have a distinctive weathering pattern where the areas around the vertical ribs are the dirtiest bit. 

43635384245_f360188e80_o_1970s.jpg.87f82a22ba627eb883aaf477cebbf47e.jpg

chemins-de-fe-fribourgeoisgruy232res-fribourg-morat-gfm-1249535_date1979.jpg.012b9612ff0f34dacb72a979cd1496d7.jpg

The only other standard gauge bogie vehicle I'm aware of on the branch (in the transporter wagon period) was a one-off visit of a cinema coach:

img326.jpg.048954942eba0a95b37a706e45b17002.jpg

In the transporter bogie era, bogie wagons were much more common at Broc, and there was more variety too:

1DSC_0598.JPG.7659fc04d3e19cb2245c9492a9b0cd4f.JPG

Mmmm - chocolate! TPF mixed train with chocolate from the Cailler factory for export, 26 Jan 2010 Broc-Fabrique, March 2007

I have two longer transporter wagons on the workbench at the moment, which will each carry a 4-wheel van in due course.

But at the moment I'm working on wooden huts!

• Like 8

The bogie van you’ve done reminds me of the CargoWagon type vans we had over here. Very similar sort of weathering on

them too.

You can really see the gauge difference in that last photo. Huge wide van sat on quite narrow transporters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Some more progress with the huts!

The Les Marches halt building is now basically complete and in undercoat. A more varied weathered finish will be applied in due course. I still need to do the tiled roof too.

IMG_6026.JPG.988766c8fd1d27bf81c846563f149bc6.JPGIMG_6025.JPG.28bd507ae0c6dea4adda5c5660596792.JPGIMG_6028.JPG.ca5254f8cab159c181912e616426d758.JPG

The other two little huts are at about the same stage:

IMG_6029.JPG.34b336d263cec79ccb83db66d9215064.JPGIMG_6030.JPG.811d229051536073eb87f32f1e37d034.JPG

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

There won’t be progress to report for the next week or so, as I’ll be taking a trip to Switzerland to see some of my favourite narrow gauge lines and hopefully visit one I’ve not been to before. 
Hopefully I will return with more inspiration and some photos of the MBC, CEV, MOB, TPF, BC and CJ (CJ is the new one for me). And two new toy trains that I will be collecting. 

My plan includes some vintage GFM trains on both the BC and TPF, and a visit to the GFM Historique workshops. Also hopefully the last gasp of the 1990s TPF 121 series railcars on a school service to Allieres on on the MOB. 

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

In a bout of over-enthusiasm I have also booked another long weekend trip to Glovelier next month. I'm sure the plan was a fact-finding trip to the CJ this week before booking, but I seem to have failed there and just booked it anyway. Easyjet flights from Manchester are really too cheap, and it's quite easy to find good hotels at around £100/night which is reasonable compared to the UK. It's just the food and drink that seems to be extortionate!

There's a possibility of narrow gauge freight on the CJ (both metre gauge wagons and standard gauge wagons on transporters) and maybe standard gauge seasonal beet traffic. Not sure if all of these will actually happen. Glovelier's not that far from Basel, a city I haven't visited and which seems to have an interesting tramway network and various local railways too. Also, from the other end of the CJ at La Chaux-de-Fonds there seems to be another, independent narrow gauge line to tick off.

Recommendations welcome! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mol_PMB said:

Also, from the other end of the CJ at La Chaux-de-Fonds there seems to be another, independent narrow gauge line to tick off.

The C-d-F - Les Ponts de Martel has just received new rolling stock, while the Le Locle - Les Brenets line is a case of ‚visit while it’s still running‘. One of their old steam engines (Père Fréderic)  is displayed near the station at Brenets. Swisstrain has restored the old PLM depot at Le Locle, and there‘s an open day at the Delémont Rotonde on the 21 of September (https://www.volldampf.ch/de/Agenda)

• Round of applause 1

3 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Easyjet flights from Manchester are really too cheap, and it's quite easy to find good hotels at around £100/night which is reasonable compared to the UK. It's just the food and drink that seems to be extortionate!

As long as you avoid weekends in the really popular spots like Lucerne, Swiss hotel prices are now vastly better than the U.K. is. I’ve had high end four star hotels for less than a Travelodge overlooking the waste transfer station in Porthmadog this year!

I actually think the difference between food and drink prices is rapidly shrinking too. Even more so if you eat like a local, pick up at least one meal a day from somewhere like the CoOp, then find a bench with a view. A pint isn’t far off being the same now either!

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, MOB 2002 said:

I actually think the difference between food and drink prices is rapidly shrinking too. Even more so if you eat like a local, pick up at least one meal a day from somewhere like the CoOp, then find a bench with a view. A pint isn’t far off being the same now either!

Mark

Unquestionably, especially in London. A 35g bag of crisps in Sainsburys local Euston is around £1.20...

In the last couple of years , I've had meals with beer in Zurich and Brig which were on a par with UK pub/restaurant prices. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MOB 2002 said:

Even more so if you eat like a local,  then find a bench with a view. 

Mark

Maybe not for everyone, but a classic picnic lunch option in our family has always been a tube of pate (marked Leberpains) from Migros or Co-op and a couple of  'bakery section' Weggli roles. On arrival at the bench, peel open the soft roll and squeeze some of the pate into it - simple.

Plus some Ramseier apfelsaft of course. 

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Glovelier's not that far from Basel, a city I haven't visited and which seems to have an interesting tramway network and various local railways too. Also, from the other end of the CJ at La Chaux-de-Fonds there seems to be another, independent narrow gauge line to tick off.

Recommendations welcome! 

Basel has just got rid of its remaining older (but not ancient) trams sadly but whatever you do, take the 'circular' route 15/16 to Bruderholz. Each route takes a different route up a steep hill and they meet end on at the summit terminus (15 become 16 and vice versa)

The Le Locle - Les Brenets line has the oldest passenger stock of any line in Switzerland.

• Informative/Useful 1

When in CH choose to eat lunch rather than dinner for cost effectiveness in restaurants / hotels. There is a hike in prices after 5pm.

As mentioned above Coop and Migros restaurants are better than UK supermarket restaurants in my experience!

Of course SBB on train restaurants are a nice option too!

Enjoy the Jura when you go. It feels almost the part of CH that tourists have still to discover.

Pete

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Pub trip tonight got cancelled so a bit more progress on the halt building, and no hangover for the flight tomorrow. Win win. I spent the beer money on eBay though...

The roof tiling is now done and in undercoat, more painting required.

The woodwork has had its variable topcoat, but still requires some dry-brushing and washes.

The man structure is now glued to the base, which drops into a hole in the baseboard. The roof is removable, and still needs gutters etc.

IMG_6082.JPG.956985989e6316cd93ffa0e2fd4d5f98.JPG

IMG_6084.JPG.d9d146d6bd7af6bc9ecb92ef9b236930.JPG

IMG_6083.JPG.13a4d2af8ffc95d68408e549ab1c33e5.JPG

Thoughts are now turning to the lighting. This will be fed by a wire coming up through the floor, though I will also represent the supply pole on the roof seen in the photos below (but not live).

Copyright(C)TramclubBasel-15-043.jpg.f05806501396ef824cc7c6a0bb6b8790.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

It’s Swiss standard train photography weather today (rain) but I’m hoping there might be some interesting freight on the MBC tomorrow. 
0366BEC5-1BA7-4E94-9C94-9BCEF41554A5.jpeg.b5edb2c73090497ad2e88976f05d3cb1.jpeg

So I went to collect my new toys, and ended up buying more than planned, chatting for an hour, and seeing an Om layout of similar size to mine, but of the MOB. Very impressive! 

32395E6E-229B-43D0-999F-C2472A021755.jpeg.422de8e1b2a9c8122f0b18527eb025b7.jpeg

AFF4DB43-7D8B-45B8-ACC4-3A1DBEF4C1AC.jpeg.02b24f84e6ff43e044a0e7373accd68d.jpeg

I’d been wondering for a while about making an MOB panoramic driving trailer and then I saw this, which Christian just did for himself:

BC9A16E8-0DD0-4BF3-8F08-D3BB42535DA9.jpeg.b2308925f84b16cf5c6ebb94bda8e164.jpeg

i now have a 3D printed carbody to detail and finish. 

Also I had a close look at the 3000s and saw everything running on the layout too. Very nice indeed!

E7E86611-FEE7-49F5-8A2E-1F8104E576D6.jpeg

9042CD43-CBA9-46C1-8BC7-6B6EC2D8BBCD.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Mol_PMB said:

It’s Swiss standard train photography weather today (rain) but I’m hoping there might be some interesting freight on the MBC tomorrow. 

So I went to collect my new toys, and ended up buying more than planned, chatting for an hour, and seeing an Om layout of similar size to mine, but of the MOB. Very impressive! 

AFF4DB43-7D8B-45B8-ACC4-3A1DBEF4C1AC.jpeg.02b24f84e6ff43e044a0e7373accd68d.jpeg

I’d been wondering for a while about making an MOB panoramic driving trailer and then I saw this, which Christian just did for himself:

i now have a 3D printed carbody to detail and finish. 

Also I had a close look at the 3000s and saw everything running on the layout too. Very nice indeed!

E7E86611-FEE7-49F5-8A2E-1F8104E576D6.jpeg

those 3000 units look fabulous !

Steve

Edited by 7mmin7foot
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

3000s did run to Broc in my modelling period, on a weekly through tourist train from the neighbouring MOB. They were in a different livery by then, which is being produced in model form by Christian next year. They ran in a train formation with the panoramic driving trailers. 

• Like 2