The Broc Branch in Om scale - an ambitious project that stalled for a decade but is now reawakening

• RMweb Gold

My Grandfather put dark brown fur covers on to stop his vinyl seats burning your legs. 

You got slow cooked instead! 😆

Steering wheels you could barely touch, ah the good old days 😜 I kept a white t-shirt in the car to drape over the wheel on hot days. It worked to an extent. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mol_PMB said:

When I was a kid our family car was a navy blue Rover 100, with navy blue leather seats. I knew that pain when coming back to the car after a few hours on the beach!

After 1985 we had a Rover 2300.

We didn't visit Switzerland by car so I can't justify one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/355914083193

or even one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134986372709

They did sell both the P4 and SD1 Rovers abroad, so maybe you could have one painted like your old ones but just part of ‘traffic’ on the roads? 
Lovely as it is, that Matrix SD1 is £megabucks! Corgi Vanguards do one cheaper.

In my last job I had a company van, a Mercedes Sprinter which had black vinyl seats (utility vehicle spec) as late as 2016 and that had no air con either. Driving that in summer was awful! It was made worse by having to wear double lined arc proof trousers. On days like this you’d be sat there just cooking. You’d get out at the end of journey with wet bum and legs you’d been sweating so much!😆

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Just when it was going so well I have had a masking disaster. Considering how hard it was to get the original white paint off this casting, it's frustrating that the masking tape adhesive has stuck to the new coat of white too well!

IMG_5821.JPG.a22484f8561c4c135282d808ba9b8dad.JPG

I think I will come back to this job tomorrow. I'll probably try to take the white off and start again on the roof, hopefully without messing up the blue.

To enforce patience on the other newly-painted things I can feel a beer garden calling...

• Like 1

That’s a pity! I wonder if the primer didn’t stick to the metal properly for whatever reason? 
Good thing is though you can just mask off the lower blue section and re-do the roof only. It looks great other than that though.

Someone I know on another forum spent ages painting a Transit model into the old White Arrow parcels livery, then on removing the last bits of masking that happened and completely destroyed the whole paint job. Crying shame as it must have taken him ages to do! It happens though.

I wonder if heat and humidity affect it at all?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

An update on progress, both modelling and purchases. Several parcels have arrived over the past few days and I realise I've spent too much on toys!

Firstly, the yellow Taunus is now complete (apart from numberplates):

IMG_5822.JPG.e2425caf57b5741f0d1f4d8e48209fb5.JPG

Secondly, several other cheap and suitable vehicles have arrived. I don't think these really need any work except perhaps adding a driver and weathering. They're not specific to the staff car park but they're generally suitable for the date and region, so they can appear on the roads elsewhere on the layout. There's a little green Fiat, a yellow Beetle. and a white Peugeot 504. In the background is a Deutz tractor which was bigger than I was expecting - it is the right scale so it must just be a model of a large tractor:

IMG_5823.JPG.7fd30e366fa08d3ca5116fe89398218e.JPG

Also, the bus has arrived:

IMG_5824.JPG.5a2e376a930e6c276e9b12fc27768138.JPG

The GFM had at least two of these with subtle differences, the biggest issue being the door positions. There was clearly some detail variation even between the GFM's vehicles so my plan is to repaint the model in GFM livery but I'm not going to attempt to move the doors. I will change the chrome lines on the sides though to match the GFM pattern. I'm hoping to get away without repainting the top half!

JHM-1972-0377 - (CH) Fribourg, autocar GFM

IMG_5828.jpg.4b76e784407b26b6541aa61eb05e81a4.jpg

Another thing that arrived in the post today was a book on the GFM, one that I didn't have before. The eBay listing was very vague and showed only the cover, and it was rather expensive.

IMG_5825.JPG.d9462ee4534988fdc54e72b756218a54.JPG

It turns out to be rather thin, but it does contain a couple of gems. It is not dated but based on what's in it (including a stock list) I reckon it's 1972.

There's a nice drawing of railcar 141 which will be very useful when I come to build a model of one of these:

IMG_5826.JPG.b40e5de3f2d1636745b0508fdb404a2a.JPG

Also a summary of the GFM statistics including details of the road and rail fleet:

IMG_5827.JPG.776fc71d71eba6616ec4e3b3b3ce1561.JPG

Right, I'd better get back to finishing off the Range Rover, the VW LT and the Saurer fridge truck which are progressing well.

• Like 6

Fantastic! Cars are really looking the part.

Is the bus plastic? The only two buses I’ve got in 1:43, ones plastic and the others metal. I think they did quite a few in that bus series in plastic though.

That book looks interesting. I love seeing those old engineering style drawings!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, 40 058 said:

Fantastic! Cars are really looking the part.

Is the bus plastic? The only two buses I’ve got in 1:43, ones plastic and the others metal. I think they did quite a few in that bus series in plastic though.

That book looks interesting. I love seeing those old engineering style drawings!

Thanks!

I think I'm on course to have the Range Rover and Saurer truck finished this afternoon; the VW LT continues to frustrate and I'm resorting to a bit of bodgery.

I've got some transporter wagons to finish tomorrow so won't start any more road vehicles this weekend, but the bus would be a good next project. It does seem to be mostly plastic.

As you may be able to see through the thin paper in the image of the old book, there is a bus drawing in there too, but not the right sort.

The drawing of railcar 141/142 is very interesting to me, and not just because its better detailed and dimensioned than the diagram I have already. These railcars were delivered in 1972, specifically for freight work but with provision to be eventually converted for passenger use. They looked like this when new, in plain green with the windows blocked out and the interior without any passenger fittings but filled with sandbags for extra adhesion:

(Photos from Alain Gavillet on Flickr)

Trains des T.P.F  anciennement G.F.M. voie métrique

In November 1979 they were send back to the manufacturers to be converted to passenger specification; here's one on its way back:

Trains des T.P.F  anciennement G.F.M. voie métrique (Suisse)

When they came back in 1980 they looked like this, with windows, seats, and orange and silver livery (which was first introduced on other stock in 1977):

GFM  141

(photo from bryanb27m4 on Flickr)

Now, the book must date from about 1972, the year these were built, and the drawing shows the passenger-equipped railcar which didn't actually exist at that time (or for another 8 years). Perhaps the original intention was for them to be equipped for passengers from the start, or perhaps the drawing was prepared to show what they would be like eventually?

The drawing shows the GFM crest on the side and appears to show a horizontal line at the waist that would be the dividing line for a 2-tone livery.

At the time the book was published, the GFM livery for newer passenger stock was the 2-tone green like this:

Trains des T.P.F  anciennement G.F.M. voie métrique (Suisse)

(again from Alain Gavillet)

I wonder if railcars 141 and 142 were, at one stage, intended to carry 2-tone green? They never did but I reckon they would look good in it.

• Like 5

The two tone green is a nice colour scheme. Much more attractive than the silver & orange, and looks a nicer livery than just the single green. Not that any of them are particularly ugly liveries of course.

It’s certainly possible they intended them to go into two tone green. Maybe when they were sent back for refit that was the plan, but it took longer for them to come back and by then the GFM had moved on to a more modern silver & orange so changed their minds with the two tone green?

It’s a shame the VW LT is causing you grief! Have you tried etch primer? I find top coat is less inclined to peel with etch underneath. Most of them seem ok without it though. Just odd ones that seem to peel. 

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, 40 058 said:

It’s a shame the VW LT is causing you grief! Have you tried etch primer? I find top coat is less inclined to peel with etch underneath. Most of them seem ok without it though. Just odd ones that seem to peel. 

Etch primer is what I should have done, but I have resorted to bodgery with a brush instead. I have a plan to hide most of the roof under a laden roof-rack so it's not too obvious!

Meanwhile the Saurer is basically done, but needs some weathering on its anonymous paint scheme:

IMG_5829.JPG.653e8efb3fa4be29530363acc12be7f6.JPG

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have also unboxed a couple of Volkswagen T3 models I bought, and have found an interesting comparison. Nominally they are both 1:43 but they are not the same size.

IMG_5831.JPG.70347fbeb9c6181d3acce90a83398d31.JPG

The orane one is from IXO and was considerably more expensive than the beige one from Welly:

The Welly model is slightly larger all round, most noticeably in height.

IMG_5832.JPG.cf1472194c5e11628a3cfdba0d93d4db.JPG

IMG_5833.JPG.73bfa9b6c61ca315569c8388ea997ec5.JPG

IMG_5834.JPG.89e8514318865b41420d00bd990139cd.JPG

The IXO model is better detailed. I don't plan to do much with that, except to add numberplates and a driver.

The Welly model may get a repaint and would benefit from some wing mirrors and other minor details.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I’m sure the LT will work out just fine. It’d be much worse if it’s torn a slice of the main blue sides out rather than just the roof.

Saurer looks great, much nicer without the decals on. What’s the plan for it? Just parked up in the yard area?

Strange the two T3’s are so much different to each other! Funny how each manufacturer can interpret scale. The IXO one does look the nicer model though. The Welly model doesn’t look so good around the cab door windows to me.

If you don’t position them on the layout next to each other you’d be hard pushed to tell though.

I did a comparison ages ago using the IXO Ford Transit mk1 against the Corgi Vanguard’s version, both 1:43 but the Corgi one was a good bit wider and more chunky than the IXO. Again though, if you don’t put them next to each other it’s less obvious.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks! The Saurer will eventually be parked up at the chocolate factory, I haven't even built that part of the layout yet! I considered putting some Nestle decals on the cab but my layout is set at a time when there were a lot of scandals and boycotts of other Nestle products (not the Cailler chocolates fortunately!) and I think they kept a low profile with the brand around that time.

The orange T3 will be on the road somewhere, not sure about the beige van but I'll find somewhere to park it up. It might end up in the same blue as the LT since I've got the rest of the can left. I got a bit carried away with VW vans to be honest, there are still two to be delivered! (an LT28 pickup and a Pegaso that will become a VW MAN light truck.) You'll be pleased to know that I have a Volvo 244 on the way too, though I am still looking for a few other models.

I've just found another photo of the Bulle staff car park, a few years on this must be about 1985 but still within my modelling period. I'm not going to start on this row though!

This pic is from bryanb27m4 on Flickr:

GFM  Fd762

A lot of changes to the selection of cars since the earlier views.

• Like 2

Glad you got a Volvo 244! It’s the sort of car that’d look right at home in a location like your layout’s set. 
I do like old Volvo’s, I’ve had quite a few (still have one, an 88 740) I had a 79 244 in white with a gold & black stripe down each side. Absolute tank of a car! 

I’ll be interested to see what you do with the Pegaso VW, there seems quite a few available cheaply on eBay which I’ve been tempted with, but so far resisted.

Interestingly, most of the cars in that later photo are available too in scale. It’s a slippery slope though!!😆

I must say, I’m extremely jealous of your layout! It looks absolutely brilliant. I need to get moved though so I can start my own.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, 40 058 said:

Glad you got a Volvo 244! It’s the sort of car that’d look right at home in a location like your layout’s set. 
I do like old Volvo’s, I’ve had quite a few (still have one, an 88 740) I had a 79 244 in white with a gold & black stripe down each side. Absolute tank of a car! 

I’ll be interested to see what you do with the Pegaso VW, there seems quite a few available cheaply on eBay which I’ve been tempted with, but so far resisted.

Interestingly, most of the cars in that later photo are available too in scale. It’s a slippery slope though!!😆

I must say, I’m extremely jealous of your layout! It looks absolutely brilliant. I need to get moved though so I can start my own.

Many thanks! You are far too kind, and I really mean that because my layout has an ambitious plan there are very few parts of it that are approaching completion, and some sections not even started.

Partly the overall progress is slow because I like chopping and changing between projects, and the variety of tasks is one of the best things about this hobby

But it's progressing, slowly, and I have plan.

The Range Rover is now complete apart from numberplares and the manufacturer's lettering on the bonnet and boot which I have added to my custom transfer artwork.

In replacing the rear windows I've actually done them in two parts to replicate the sliding panels of the real thing. Not sure it's really visible though.

I've cleaned up another part of the layout (hoovered off a decade of dust and evicted a few spiders) so we can have a different photo location and one where the Range Rover's 4WD will be an advantage:

IMG_5835.JPG.adede86647153aa11ca9f87e3a1a42ad.JPG

But it wasn't long before it got stuck in a traffic jam behind a tractor...

IMG_5837.JPG.3bbca92a6c6d0543f7579b5e3a8c1162.JPG

If you're up for a few more vehicle ID's and corresponding model recommendations, can you help with any of these? This is a slightly earlier photo, probably early 1970s, but it's such a lovely view that I'd like to be able to recreate it eventually:

Broc_BG.jpg.c423a5600550fd32e507f20079eeb4a2.jpg

As for the Pegaso, I bought the butane truck version (which was cheap) though I considered the dropside with canvas roof.

Whatever I do, I need to convert it to round headlights because the rectangular headlights are too late for my modelling period. And I need to rebrand it to MAN VW.

These are bigger than the LTs, though very similar in style. I haven't got a definite plan yet, the simplest thing would just to do a flatbed like this:

34adace591ae4c8fa42af11b62d18259.jpeg.we

The model doesn't have the bigger wheels and taller step of the bottom variant here, so I guess I'll be going for one of the medium-size variants unless I steal some bigger wheels off something else?

I don't really know enough about the prototype, to be honest. I might rob bits off the old Volvo milk tanker, and turn the Pegaso into a milk tanker?

s-l1600.webp.a71827e9630f8082409fe321fbb25b8d.webp

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Looking at the photo, I think the car at the back is a Peugeot 403, almost certainly a Peugeot at any rate. Silver car looks to be a Vauxhall Viva HB, front car is a VW 1500 type 3 (saloon style called a notchback). 
The Peugeot and VW are available from those partwork or IXO based cars, but I don’t think there’s a model of the HB Viva… though I’m happy to proven wrong!

Your incoming VW/MAN sounds good as a flatbed. Pretty much one of the easiest truck styles to make and justify for the layout. There’s an excuse for it to be present pretty much anywhere really. Another option is a recovery truck/beavertail? Maybe with a broken down car on the back?

In your book I think the biggest version of it at the bottom of the page is the heavy duty 4x4 version. Almost certainly favoured by emergency services, and utility type companies. To be completely accurate (if your that bothered!) you’d need to add a second driven axle and prop & transfer case. I don’t think they were massively common, probably because of the increased cost!

The Range Rover is superb. Really nicely done. You did well with the rear windows too. Did you try getting the sticker things off the originals?

Love the traffic jam scene too!😄 They really do look the part on a scenic layout.

I know what you mean about constantly chopping & changing between projects! I do it all the time. I start something and get part way through then something else catches my eye and I move on to that. The result is a pile of unfinished projects!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, 40 058 said:

Looking at the photo, I think the car at the back is a Peugeot 403, almost certainly a Peugeot at any rate. Silver car looks to be a Vauxhall Viva HB, front car is a VW 1500 type 3 (saloon style called a notchback). 
The Peugeot and VW are available from those partwork or IXO based cars, but I don’t think there’s a model of the HB Viva… though I’m happy to proven wrong!

Your incoming VW/MAN sounds good as a flatbed. Pretty much one of the easiest truck styles to make and justify for the layout. There’s an excuse for it to be present pretty much anywhere really. Another option is a recovery truck/beavertail? Maybe with a broken down car on the back?

In your book I think the biggest version of it at the bottom of the page is the heavy duty 4x4 version. Almost certainly favoured by emergency services, and utility type companies. To be completely accurate (if your that bothered!) you’d need to add a second driven axle and prop & transfer case. I don’t think they were massively common, probably because of the increased cost!

The Range Rover is superb. Really nicely done. You did well with the rear windows too. Did you try getting the sticker things off the originals?

Love the traffic jam scene too!😄 They really do look the part on a scenic layout.

I know what you mean about constantly chopping & changing between projects! I do it all the time. I start something and get part way through then something else catches my eye and I move on to that. The result is a pile of unfinished projects!

Many thanks, that's really helpful!

And I have many cupboards and piles of unfinished projects too. One day...

On the Range Rover I didn't try to remove the lettering off the rear windows as it was printed on. I just cut out those sections of glazing and replaced with something better.

The Pegaso (VW/MAN) is readily available as a beavertail too. When mine arrives I'll size up a few options for it. Maybe just a dropside? I'm wondering if I need a roadworks crew to justify the traffic jams going nowhere on my road!

Having done some googling I think the Peugeot at the back is a 404, readily available and quite cheap:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145913191065

The Vauxhall Viva HB, there's a police version but it has the wrong grille:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256588325966

Or several normal ones, more expensive but with the right grille, I'm not sure about the detail level though - all these all the same casting or different manufacturers? Somehow they don't look as crisp as the Police one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335505988268

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/326211791737

All these Vivas are British cars with the steering wheel on the wrong side for Switzerland. Opposite of your normal issue!

The Police one is at least fairly good value.

The Volkswagen 1500 is proving more challenging to find a good model (though there are several ropey old ones). This is the best I've found so far, annoyingly with a sunroof but that can be filled in:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/355803381440

This has a proper roof but much more expensive from abroad:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/315620601426

Are you aware of a better option?

Cheers,

Mol

• Like 2

A roadwork crew using the VW/MAN is a good idea! Maybe you could set up a few cones and a patch of fresh tarmac where they’re working with the truck.

That 404 looks absolutely perfect. Good price too. Doesn’t look like it’ll need much if any work either.

Id completely forgotten about that Vanguard’s Viva! I think it’s one of their older models, 2000’s sort of era. They are still good models though, I’ve got a few of them from that period (Rover P4, P5, Jag xj6 etc). They’re good as they come, but you can see they are older castings compared to Vanguard’s more recent stuff. If you can get one at a good price I’d still recommend one.

Good point about the steering wheel being on the wrong side! Some models are dead easy to swap, other less so! To be honest, you can’t really tell from normal viewing distance. Especially if the interior is a dark colour.

Im sure I’ve seen a VW 1500 in one of those partwork collections, I just can’t remember where now.

That Vitesse model looks pretty good, although, like the Viva above, it’s an older casting now and is maybe a little bit dated. Although with a repaint and a bit more detailing would still make a nice model.

The only thing I can think of is the old Dinky version! I think it’s the right scale (but don’t quote me on that!) and can be picked up cheaply, but because of its old toy origins would take some work!

On 03/08/2024 at 13:44, Mol_PMB said:

There seems to be one of the R&J bodied Volvos to be seeping through (I‘ve recently begun work on a R&J Saurer 5DUK in 1:87). You‘re also making very good use of the Bachmann coach!

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 40 058 said:

Im sure I’ve seen a VW 1500 in one of those partwork collections, I just can’t remember where now.

That Vitesse model looks pretty good, although, like the Viva above, it’s an older casting now and is maybe a little bit dated. Although with a repaint and a bit more detailing would still make a nice model.

The only thing I can think of is the old Dinky version! I think it’s the right scale (but don’t quote me on that!) and can be picked up cheaply, but because of its old toy origins would take some work!

Many thanks for the ideas. Peugeot 404 duly bought cheaply, and I've got my eye on a Viva.

Is an early VW 1600 the same as a VW 1500? The 1966 VW 1600 model looks pretty similar, something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285400217586

More expensive but a much nicer model.

There are also models of the 1970 VW 1600 which looks somewhat longer and different.

The VW LT is nearly finished, just waiting for the glue to dry before I do the final assembly. The roof-rack load has worked out well, especially my representation of the ratchet straps, hopefully it will take attention away from the state of the roof itself.

11 minutes ago, chb2488 said:

There seems to be one of the R&J bodied Volvos to be seeping through (I‘ve recently begun work on a R&J Saurer 5DUK in 1:87). You‘re also making very good use of the Bachmann coach!

Would it be helpful if I scanned the drawing for you? Happy to do so as I need to get the scanner out to do the drawing of railcar 141.

• Like 1

Many thanks, the drawing might come in handy at some point! The beauty of the standardized coach body is that you can adjust it to suit your prototype, provided it is the same width and by the same maker.

Best regards

Christian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So here's the completed LT, or what @Rick_Skateboard would call a super-wedge:

IMG_5838.JPG.d7761eff83b51cc228367d77a0411718.JPG

Compared to the other vehicles, this has been a bit of a trial throughout. Difficult to dismantle and I broke a few parts, difficult to strip the paint, and some problems with repainting and masking. However, to my eyes it looks much more appropriate for 1980 Switzerland than the original model did; as a reminder it started like this:

s-l1600.webp.fb44f20151c9ebfe32a037b2d47f868a.webp

I'm pleased it's finished and I'm going to get back to something with flanged wheels now. Until the next rubber-tyred parcel drops through the door...

The roof-rack and load are an attempt to hide the worst of the roof. One of the sheets of plywood is making a bid for freedom because the driver didn't do a great job strapping them down. I wonder what he's going to make with all that wood - a model railway layout perhaps? It will be a more productive use of time than his previous role as a gun-toting villain in a Bond movie.

IMG_5839.JPG.c428c9aca00bef79f5c760f6ed1f939d.JPG

Here's a comparison with the orange T3, which also shows the replacement wing mirrors I had to make for the LT after breaking the originals during dismantling. They actually look much better than the originals:

IMG_5840.JPG.eaaacdcfa936c478ac676afd43e6a718.JPG

I'm wondering about repainting and detailing the cheap beige T3 van to bring it closer to the standard of the other VWs, but for now it will stay untouched while I decide on a suitable colour.

IMG_5842.JPG.d65bbe3f9d6ae4e9506b25b1616685e1.JPG

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

Well done with the LT, it looks superb!👍

The roof rack load and ratchet straps are a lovely little touch. Nice use of the already seated baddies from the Bond car too.

Those VW 1600’s should be just the job in the absence of a decent 1500. I’m not a VW expert so can’t tell you exactly what all the differences are but there’s no reason one couldn’t be used here. (I’m a Ford man so VW’s are considered the enemy!😄)

This makes me wonder why someone would choose to buy a Vauxhall Viva!? Nothing wrong with that car of course it just always strikes me as odd to buy the Vauxhall in Europe when the Opel equivalents were probably much more readily available and better supported by dealers and garages over in Europe. Maybe they just fancied something slightly different??

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, 40 058 said:

Well done with the LT, it looks superb!👍

The roof rack load and ratchet straps are a lovely little touch. Nice use of the already seated baddies from the Bond car too.

Those VW 1600’s should be just the job in the absence of a decent 1500. I’m not a VW expert so can’t tell you exactly what all the differences are but there’s no reason one couldn’t be used here. (I’m a Ford man so VW’s are considered the enemy!😄)

This makes me wonder why someone would choose to buy a Vauxhall Viva!? Nothing wrong with that car of course it just always strikes me as odd to buy the Vauxhall in Europe when the Opel equivalents were probably much more readily available and better supported by dealers and garages over in Europe. Maybe they just fancied something slightly different??

Thanks for all your inspiration and help with these!

The Viva in the photo definitely has a Fribourg numberplate (FR 15784) so it would have been owned by a local - it's not a foreign visitor.

Why they chose that I don't know, but there do seem to have been a lot of British cars in the region - I could easily justify a Mini or Land Rover which both appear in several photos. Just thinking of the Minis, here are a few around Bulle station, at least two different ones:

image.png.63a04a1f65c63715ea4ab3e764998c9d.pngimage.png.3a14acf6207d861581c5f55656d6802a.pngimage.png.1c492d57133f7edc4315dc810f05c82e.png

It's too easy to go down a slippery slope and buy lots of models unfinished projects...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mol_PMB said:

It's too easy to go down a slippery slope and buy lots of models unfinished projects...

We’ve all got them! Maybe it would be a good thread … I suspect it would be quite therapeutic to see that other modellers are just the same!

’My unfinished Swiss-related projects’ ? 

In the meantime, it’s all looking good to me in miniature GFM land. Keep up the good work.

Mark

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, 40 058 said:

A roadwork crew using the VW/MAN is a good idea! Maybe you could set up a few cones and a patch of fresh tarmac where they’re working with the truck.

I do quite like the idea of some roadworks. It's not practical for me to have moving road vehicles on the layout, but it feels odd to me to have them posed stationary on the road. That's why the car park idea appeals so much. I also have a few level crossings where I can legitimately have some road vehicles waiting. A roadwork crew would be a nice cameo that could justify a traffic jam, and of course emphasise the benefits of travelling by train! The lineside road I'm modelling was actually re-made during my modelling period, going from this:

Broc_BG.jpg.c423a5600550fd32e507f20079eeb4a2.jpg

To this:

DSC_0287.JPG.e3beb5ee59415c7c99fe7d702ac9e688.JPG

Now for Swiss roadworks, they always seem to have a mess van on site. It's usually a fairly crude-looking corrugated iron hut on wheels, painted orange.

Though more recently they seem to have become a bit posher like the one just visible in front of the train in this photo:

Climbing up from the Chocolate Factory

Duncan Models make an O gauge 'Shepherds Hut' which is an older and smaller version of what I would need for the roadworks crew, though it might just do if put on rubber-tyred wheels:

https://www.duncanmodels.co.uk/picture_shepards_hut.htm

shepherds-hut.jpg

Is anyone aware of other options for models of these things? Something intermediate in size/age?

Is there a special name for them in Switzerland? Something I could search for to get more info?

Cheers,

Mol

• Like 3