The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

You're in the army now - well, maybe.

Neil

• RMweb Premium

Some time ago I signed up for You Gov surveys. As a confirmed pinko, leftie, right on, woke, socially liberal sort of chap the thought of influencing governments and world events appealed hugely. The reality is that most times you'll be asked for your opinions on more banal stuff, which reading between the lines is all about advertising cut through and market penetration for a range of products. Today I was asked on my thoughts about chocolate biscuits, yum. Sometimes single issue subjects get tacked onto the end of these product surveys; the last of any consequence was during Covid when I was asked several times about my attitude to lock-down and whether restrictions should be eased.

This morning I was slightly disconcerted as the add-on was about my attitude to conscription into the armed forces. Given that these sorts of questions tend to be asked when there's some thought by those in power that it might be an idea worth exploring I wonder what on earth they're thinking of and why?

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

I suspect it's linked to the outgoing head of the Army's widely reported remarks that we are a pre-war generation and we ought to be thinking about a citizen's army for when we eventually end up fighting Russia/Iran/Panem/the French again. 

Insert favourite conspiracy theory at this point. As you allude to, You Gov is just a market research company. 

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

One of the many stories floating about on this subject was one about raising the age limit to 60.

Will be watching Dad's Army for training purposes...

• RMweb Gold

Military service training will be one of the "compulsory" opportunities offered to Universal Credit claimants at JobCentreDoublePlusGood...

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

Can we offshore the war like we are doing with refugees and carbon emissions and just send a cheque with our love and thanks?

Conscription for 18-21yrd olds could just be marketed as paid gap year international travel (who reads the small print about guns, bullets & bombs?)

or as it’s the 21st century, let AI fight a virtual war and tell us its outcome - make sure you don’t copy and paste the answer. All a bit 1984….

Edited by black and decker boy
  • Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 30801 said:

One of the many stories floating about on this subject was one about raising the age limit to 60.

Will be watching Dad's Army for training purposes...

Cue a well known song, with new lyrics: "Who do you think you are kidding, Mr. Putin ...". OK - perhaps not.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

Rumour in Carlisle has it that McVitie's is planning an invasion of Crawford's. I expect they are trying to gauge how many biscuit-lovers will rally to their banner.

AKA the Battle of Garibaldi?

26 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Military service training will be one of the "compulsory" opportunities offered to Universal Credit claimants at JobCentreDoublePlusGood...

Sounds like something some chap by the name of Blair might have recognised. As you've probably worked out, I'm not referring to Anthony Charles Lynton Blair - but Eric Arthur Blair.

Incidentally, I always thought the jokeshops talk in terms of mandatory "opportunities" (which very few sane people would actually wish to take them up on).

3 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

Can we offshore the war like we are doing with refugees and carbon emissions and just send a cheque with our love and thanks?

Conscription for 18-21yrd olds could just be marketed as paid gap year international travel (who reads the small print about guns, bullets & bombs?)

Somehow, I suspect that a number of their parents would ... .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Crudely, from another chap that fits you description, this is bollox really. What will be needed is as follows and not in any particular order.

AI, Cyber Manipulation, Drones, Virus development, use of Poisons/Gases,  and that Trickery thing that causes a big Trickery Pulse that kills all Communications, plus Nukes to set off Volcanic Eruptions and Earthquakes & Tsunamies. 

Most of those can be controlled from some smelly Basement in Whitehall/White House, Tent In Africa, Satellite...who cares.

It's all DCC anyway so it won't work according to so many on here.

A. Putin   

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

56 minutes ago, Hroth said:

In the US of A it's a good route to getting solid qualifications even the cost of going to university.

Many people sign up because it offers the best chance of a solid income, good education and a chance to get away from being dirt poor.

Most will never see active service.

Edited by woodenhead
added that even cost of university can be covered
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

In the US of A it's a good route to getting solid qualifications without the cost of going to university.

Many people sign up because it offers the best chance of a solid income, good education and a chance to get away from being dirt poor.

Likewise Germany. Many big companies wouldn't take people on unless they had done their stint. I think that was stopped though.

But not all of it was military some were drafted into things like fire brigades and even working for your local council.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_and_hitch-up_services

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Neil said:

Some time ago I signed up for You Gov surveys. As a confirmed pinko, leftie, right on, woke, socially liberal sort of chap the thought of influencing governments and world events appealed hugely. The reality is that most times you'll be asked for your opinions on more banal stuff, which reading between the lines is all about advertising cut through and market penetration for a range of products. Today I was asked on my thoughts about chocolate biscuits, yum. Sometimes single issue subjects get tacked onto the end of these product surveys; the last of any consequence was during Covid when I was asked several times about my attitude to lock-down and whether restrictions should be eased.

This morning I was slightly disconcerted as the add-on was about my attitude to conscription into the armed forces. Given that these sorts of questions tend to be asked when there's some thought by those in power that it might be an idea worth exploring I wonder what on earth they're thinking of and why?

Dave Gorman did a very good episode on YouGov polls!

On YouTube somewhere or on constant repeat on Dave I expect.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

My reaction on seeing Boris telling us all what a spiffing idea it would be to sign up lard butt youngsters as canon fodder (him being a proud military veteran and model of physical fitness) was immense pride and gratitude that our great nation was blessed with such a statesman. An intellectual colossus and a man revered around the world for his integrity and dignity. He is second only to Tony himself in the list of great Britons.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 9
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

In the US of A it's a good route to getting solid qualifications even the cost of going to university.

But here, the best you could hope for would be something leading to a Level 2 in Public Service.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Hroth said:

But here, the best you could hope for would be something leading to a Level 2 in Public Service.

That and some NHS funded prosthetic limbs. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

My reaction on seeing Boris telling us all what a spiffing idea it would be to sign up lard butt youngsters as canon fodder (him being a proud military veteran and model of physical fitness) was immense pride and gratitude that our great nation was blessed with such a statesman. An intellectual colossus and a man revered around the world for his integrity and dignity. He is second only to Tony himself in the list of great Britons.

A bit harsh seeing as he played Rugby for Oxford University which was at the time quite a high level and is a runner. Even played in some of the Soccer Aid games where he continued playing Rugby!

Jason

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

2 hours ago, Revolution Ben said:

Hi there,

I'm all for it. 

For able-bodied men and women aged 21-45 and all Members of Parliament under 80.  I doubt there'd be a war then.

cheers

Ben A. 

A MP who is a retired or serving military officer (well you don't think they would be "other ranks", do you?) is called an Honourable & Gallant Gentleman, or a Right Honourable & Gallant Gentleman if he's been a cabinet minister, although octagenerians are more likely to Noble & Gallant Lords.

Yes, there's certainly a case for a bit more gallantry among that lot.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Conscription would be certainly on the cards, but the armed forces is a hugely bad idea. 

Would you trust a child of any age with a weapon?  The forces need volunteers, not conscripts. Read up on McNamaras Morons, and change the postcode. However, non-military work parties is-are perfectly feasible, and in the event of war, will become compulsory. No work? No rations. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Bernard Lamb said:

One little problem.

There are about ten times as many potential victims as ther are people to train them.

So where do we get all the new RSMs from?

Bernard 

Eco-zealots and vegans?

• Funny 3