A new Inglenook? Pile Street?

• RMweb Gold

but other distractions have materialised...the room the layout is being worked on in is not warm and its not in direct sunlight but clearly something has expanded....

53821934933_83f3a58497_c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

but other distractions have materialised...the room the layout is being worked on in is not warm and its not in direct sunlight but clearly something has expanded....

53821934933_83f3a58497_c.jpg

I had a similar experience once upon a time. I had glued the track down during the winter and by summer, small areas where the glue had not taken too well had gone like this.

It is a bit late for such advice now but since then, I always ballast the track soon after it has been laid. I would suggest a slitting disc to remove a small amount of rail. The thickness of the disc might be all that is needed to let it go straight again.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I had a similar experience once upon a time. I had glued the track down during the winter and by summer, small areas where the glue had not taken too well had gone like this.

It is a bit late for such advice now but since then, I always ballast the track soon after it has been laid. I would suggest a slitting disc to remove a small amount of rail. The thickness of the disc might be all that is needed to let it go straight again.

Cheers

Tony

Cheers Tony and thank you - I think I can slit the rail or even better re-solder the rail near a possible future board joint where I have prepped by leaving a Modeltech rail aligner at the end of the front track. Its the first time I have not pinned the track down on  a layout project and to further complicate matters I've paused on the track due to an issue with the medium BH turnouts which is currently with PECO....

You'll see it in a few weeks anyway!

Chris

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I went for a razor saw in the end...I also made up a quick railholder so as not to wreck the delicate sleepers..

53823162656_580151dc24_c.jpg

I'll file the ends and add some fishplates - both sides are already getting power anyway as I'm a bit OTT with rail feeds.

I'll tidy up the sleeper positions but I may have a trackside wall which will obscure this view anyway...

53823603355_3fac831d09_c.jpg

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I had thought about this before but a day of operrating Lockdown Fen at LarkRail convinced me to make a full size Fiddle Yard for Pile Street.

I knocked up the SMS board a few days ago (just in case.....) but have since sorted the start of the wiring, track laying and an end board to help support a stock shelf.

53858393115_f32e230f3a_c.jpg

This was the previous arrangement...

53498395561_1c2f887079_c.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 28/06/2024 at 17:29, Gilbert said:

Progress has occurred..

53821935283_6bb91c37f6_c.jpg

I had wondered for a while if the large brick structure may be a bit overpowering on a small layout...when I weathered it the 3 different materials - plaster, MDF and Styrene all came out very differently and I stalled........after a re-think and a review of my references I opted for a slightly different approach. The result is here:

53933624254_152d67ae37_c.jpg

It has been inspired by Redcliffe tunnel on the Bristol Harbour Railway:

https://b-i-a-s.org.uk/planning/redcliffe-tunnel-2/

Other progress is on the other end and includes a northlight warehouse..

53932387962_0a9991e7d1_c.jpg

and my signal box obsession continues..

53933740155_d5d59053d2_c.jpg

• Like 9