Banana Bogie problem on Dapol Box wagon

Wonder if anyone could give me some advice on how to straighten the bogie on a Dapol wagon?

I bought a Dapol Freightliner Heavy Haul Bogie Box Van a few weeks ago from Hatton’s in their closing down sale.

When I opened the box yesterday a wheel set fell out and I saw that the bogie was bent. Squeezing the bogie back into shape doesn’t work it just springs back to the bent shape. Guess it was like that for some time in the box so the bogie has now taken on the new bent shape.

20240128_143039.jpg.ad3f50179d9f7407178988868bca69b5.jpg

I thought about gently heating the bogie, but if I over bend then the axel may not turn.

20240128_143131.jpg.50cfb283e244499fc54623a4f9dfd677.jpg

Under normal circumstances I would have got back in contact with the shop and they would have replaced it, but this is not now possible

Any suggestions?

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Damo666 said:

Wonder if anyone could give me some advice on how to straighten the bogie on a Dapol wagon?

I bought a Dapol Freightliner Heavy Haul Bogie Box Van a few weeks ago from Hatton’s in their closing down sale.

When I opened the box yesterday a wheel set fell out and I saw that the bogie was bent. Squeezing the bogie back into shape doesn’t work it just springs back to the bent shape. Guess it was like that for some time in the box so the bogie has now taken on the new bent shape.

20240128_143039.jpg.ad3f50179d9f7407178988868bca69b5.jpg

I thought about gently heating the bogie, but if I over bend then the axel may not turn.

20240128_143131.jpg.50cfb283e244499fc54623a4f9dfd677.jpg

Under normal circumstances I would have got back in contact with the shop and they would have replaced it, but this is not now possible

Any suggestions?

Very hot water - squeeze onto pinpoints (protect fingers from heat) - cold water.

CJI.

2 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Very hot water - squeeze onto pinpoints (protect fingers from heat) - cold water.

CJI.

Thank you CJI,

Just to make sure I fully understand, as you saying that after I take the bogie out of the hot water I then place the axel in the location and then squeeze?

And how hot is hot, take the kettle to boil and then leave for a few minutes, that ball-park? (Obviously I'm aware of the dangers of boiling water, but just want to get an idea of how hot I need to be aiming for).

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Damo666 said:

Thank you CJI,

Just to make sure I fully understand, as you saying that after I take the bogie out of the hot water I then place the axel in the location and then squeeze?

And how hot is hot, take the kettle to boil and then leave for a few minutes, that ball-park? (Obviously I'm aware of the dangers of boiling water, but just want to get an idea of how hot I need to be aiming for).

Hotter the better - just be careful and DO use some finger protection.

Squeeze the bogie sideframes with the axle in place, then plunge in cold water - iced if possible.

CJI.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1