New loco that I think is set to a long address.

Chrisr40

Hello all

I bought a loco yesterday that is unresponsive (loksound 3.5) but I can read cvs. I tried changing the address but no joy. I think it may be set to long address as cv 29 is 38 but how do I work out what the long address is please ? 

CV29=38 is a long address (see calculator also referenced below). 

1)  Check its not in a consist.   If CV19 is anything other than zero, then CV19 is setting the consist address.  Change CV19 to 0. 

2)  Assuming your system has a programming track,  the consult the system manual on how to read the loco address.   Most have mechanisms to do this for you.  

3)  If your system cannot read on a programming track,  then use "service mode programming" to Write the address you'd like, following the instructions in the system's manual.   This will overwrite any address currently in the loco. 

4)   If you want to work out a long address manually, the you need to decypher CV17 and CV18.   See calculator I wrote over a dozen years ago.    But you shouldn't need this.  

6 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

CV29=38 is a long address (see calculator also referenced below). 

1)  Check its not in a consist.   If CV19 is anything other than zero, then CV19 is setting the consist address.  Change CV19 to 0. 

2)  Assuming your system has a programming track,  the consult the system manual on how to read the loco address.   Most have mechanisms to do this for you.  

3)  If your system cannot read on a programming track,  then use "service mode programming" to Write the address you'd like, following the instructions in the system's manual.   This will overwrite any address currently in the loco. 

4)   If you want to work out a long address manually, the you need to decypher CV17 and CV18.   See calculator I wrote over a dozen years ago.    But you shouldn't need this.  

Hello Nigel,thanks for your help. Before I realised that this might be the issue I changed cv1 to a new address to see if that would help. Do I need to do anything with that as reading it now just returns what I set it to ? 

Thanks

Chris

2 minutes ago, Chrisr40 said:

Hello Nigel,thanks for your help. Before I realised that this might be the issue I changed cv1 to a new address to see if that would help. Do I need to do anything with that as reading it now just returns what I set it to ? 

Thanks

Chris

Have you read your system manual on how to set addresses ?    Most systems have a command for setting addresses.  

If you're going to set things manually, then you need to set CV29 correctly as well as setting CV1 or CV17/CV18.     The text around the calculator attempts to explain how they all work.   

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

Have you read your system manual on how to set addresses ?    Most systems have a command for setting addresses.  

If you're going to set things manually, then you need to set CV29 correctly as well as setting CV1 or CV17/CV18.     The text around the calculator attempts to explain how they all work.   

Thank you nigel i will try your calculator

• RMweb Gold

I am puzzled as to why you don’t (as Nigel has suggested) just read the current or set a new address using this facility on your DCC system, assuming this facility exists on yours.

14 minutes ago, BoD said:

I am puzzled as to why you don’t (as Nigel has suggested) just read the current or set a new address using this facility on your DCC system, assuming this facility exists on yours.

Hello, because I changed it to a different number from what it was originally. I hadn't made a note of the original address which is a lesson learnt. But either way it emerges that it is indeed set up for a 4 digit ( I have only ever used short addresses) long address so I overwrote that and now all is well so thank you for your help Nigel.

1 hour ago, Dagworth said:

Change CV 29 to 6. That will disable the long address and make the short address in CV1 the address is responds to 

Andi

Thank you Dagworth

• Like 1