7mm Diesel Nameplates. The best?

rodney21

Not sure if this has been discussed before (I can't find anything on here) so apologies if it has.

I'm branching out from 4mm to 7mm and would like some advice/opinions please.

What 'Modern Image' 7mm nameplates would be the best in the opinion of you 7mm modellers?

I'm wanting some for class 50, and for Class 52 'Western' locomotives.

In 4mm I've used Fox, Shawplan, CGW and Modelmaster (Jackson Evans) over the years and settled on the opinion that Shawplan currently are the best.

Are there any other manufacturers who I haven't mentioned who may be larger scale only and thus I would be unaware of them due to my lack of knowledge of 7mm?

I'd like to take into consideration quality, cost, delivery times, but, most importantly, how easy they are to use in terms of cutting off the sprues or cleaning up the tabs form the sprues, or indeed if any come already prepared and ready to fit.

Thanks in anticipation of your anticipated helpful comments.

• RMweb Gold

Welcome to the 7mm side .....

I tend to use Shawplan, not that there is anything wrong with the others.

They are very easy to cut from the spruce, stanley knife usually and then a quick file around the plate and finally I use extra thin double sided tape to fix them to the loco..

I got some from Fox Transfers for my 50 and I am very pleased with them. I was going to post a photo but I can't find them right now!!!!!  I've not fitted them yet

Paul R

I like Shawplan's, but since using Vin at ProtoNeo its orderable on his website and and there is a good range of diesel plates. They come pre cut so no burr's to file off and some even come with double sided tape already fitted so it is just a case of fitting them. He also does some useful detailing bits. 

https://www.protoneo.com/

Hi,

Welcome to the scale that grips you and you cant generally say no to buying anything you like.

Like Al and others I use Shawplan generally, Brian made my last set specially for 58021. I have used ProtoNeo too all excellent.

They will be my next choice for Tracy plates for my Class 73.

Another vote for Severn Mill.

They come as precut sets with any relevant works, or shed, plates included.

Have a look at their website.

Thanks very much for these helpful responses.

It’s enlightened me because I was unaware of the ProtoNeo brand.

I'm leaning towards the ProtoNeo plates, the attraction being the pre-cut nature and the self adhesive aspect. This will massively assist me because I’ve had disasters in the past with cutting from sprues and filing, albeit these have been 4mm. And, who hasn’t mucked up application of a plate with adhesive creeping out.

Question - with the ProtoNeo plates how strong is the adhesive? Just thinking about renumbering and renaming. Has anyone removed any that they have applied?

in 4mm I would build up a fleet, whereas in 7mm, due to space as well as cost, I’d like to periodically renumber locos to add variety.

Thanks all.

• RMweb Gold

I’ve never had one fall off any of the stock where is has been stuck with double sided tape. I’ve removed one very carefully and I found it ruined the nameplate as they are very flimsy. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...