I guess I have a Youtube channel now

Ian Holmes

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/08/2024 at 12:33, Ian Holmes said:

It's #modelrailwaymonday! Time for my latest micro layout video blog. This time I go for a run around town searching for inspiration for a new layout

It's interesting to see the amount of open space around in an American town, though. Trying to capture that, on any 'average' UK-size home layout (whatever that is!!) is a challenge, never mind on a Micro layout!!

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting thoughts Ian in your "News & Schmooze 2" YouTube video, about viewing trains 'head on'.

I left a short comment & video link on there but it's worth expanding on with a comment here - back in 2010/11 I built a small O Scale layout with this head on approach in mind. I called it "Schiller Point" and set it on a real piece of land north of the real Schiller Park yard, which was once the Soo Line's gateway into Chicago & the most south-westerly point on the Soo system.

The main board was roughly triangular, 4ft wide at the front, 1ft at the back, and 4ft deep, with a 4ft hidden staging yard behind it. Track was all hand laid including the switches which were 2ft radius, built over a template which was a photocopy of a real Lima setrack point!!

000038435328.Jpeg.67f570fc792cf15796504aaea22f37b2.Jpeg

It appeared at a couple of local exhibitions, as well as articles in Continental Modeller, Model Trains International, and most importantly, despite being rather more than 4 square feet in size, in one of Carl Arendt's Micro Layout Scrapbook pages!!* 🤩🤩🤩

I also have one short video clip of it, which was taken mainly to show my six-axle SD40 negotiating the 2ft radius curves....

https://youtu.be/azLZLFQjr4g?si=eZUW3-OtlvR0S1Yh

*Edit:- page 108 https://www.carendt.com/small-layout-scrapbook/page-108-january-2012/

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...