Hornby LMS 6 wheel milk van

Hi all

I have been trying to up-grade the Hornby LMS 6 wheel milk van mainly by fitting a new underframe but also removing the roof ‘hatch’ and end ladders etc.  I have now reached a point where I need to apply new lettering so my question is does anyone know if lettering transfers are available, particularly the “Insulated Milk Van” wording.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, 21C133 said:

Hi all

I have been trying to up-grade the Hornby LMS 6 wheel milk van mainly by fitting a new underframe but also removing the roof ‘hatch’ and end ladders etc.  I have now reached a point where I need to apply new lettering so my question is does anyone know if lettering transfers are available, particularly the “Insulated Milk Van” wording.

I did that:

I didn't mess about with the body apart from the major differences (ladder, ice hatch).  The body should be made 4mm longer since most Hornby stock of the era was 4mm too short.

John

• Like 1

Hi Brossard,

I think it was reading your thread that prompted me to have a go.  Reading through again I guess you were able to retain the existing lettering.  I started with the white version but wanted to end up with the crimson type so the lettering was lost in the repaint.

It seems finding replacement lettering is going to be trickey.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, 21C133 said:

Hi Brossard,

I think it was reading your thread that prompted me to have a go.  Reading through again I guess you were able to retain the existing lettering.  I started with the white version but wanted to end up with the crimson type so the lettering was lost in the repaint.

It seems finding replacement lettering is going to be trickey.

ISTR someone did them as well as those for the Palethorpes vans. Just can't remember who though!

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

ISTR someone did them as well as those for the Palethorpes vans. Just can't remember who though!

Jason

Cambridge Custom Transfers?

I am sure John has done a thread on modelling the various LMS insulated vans including the sausage ones.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am sure John has done a thread on modelling the various LMS insulated vans including the sausage ones.

I have indeed done the sausage and milk vans - but only for the BR period.

The Palethorpes vans are on my website, but the milk van transfers were just for my own use.

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I upgraded the Palethropes sausage vans (LMS & GWR) in a similar manner to the Insul Milk.  IIRC they all have the same van body, not so bad for the LMS sausage van but the GWR van body is incorrect.  In both cases I left the lettering alone.

John

• Like 2