Inox MX3 track cleaner, United Kingdom suppliers?

Anyone know a supplier in the UK who supplies the product "Inox MX3" used to clean track.

I have seen quite a few reviews all praising this product, I can get it from Australia or the USA, but very expensive.

Any nod in the right direction would be appreciated, Bill. 

According to Charlie Bishop, DCC Train Automation stocks it although a search there only brings back MX8 and MX4 variants for me. Might be worth dropping them a line though.

But a google.co.uk search for "Inox MX3" also lists one or two other suppliers to try like:

https://www.pendleslotracing.co.uk/inox-mx3-lubricant-spray-bottle-125ml.html

Edited by n9
typo

What you want is WD40 'Contact Cleaner'

Its brilliant but a good alternative is genuine 'White Spirit'.

A fairly exhaustive test was published in Model Railroad Hobbyist a while back. I cannot find it again now, but I went straight out and bought a can and I out use anything else now. The test included many common fluids used for cleaning rail and this came out tops.

Dave.

20221026_133836.jpg

Edited by dasatcopthorne
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

27 minutes ago, dasatcopthorne said:

What you want is WD40 'Contact Cleaner'

Its brilliant but a good alternative is genuine 'White Spirit'.

I test was published in Model Railroad Hobbyist a while back. I cannot find it again now, but I went straight out and bought a can and I out use anything else now.

Dave.

I've been tempted by these products, but they usually come with a warning regarding traction tyres. Have you found that to be a problem?

Edited by n9

• RMweb Gold

I've switched to White Spirit from IPA having read similar articles. Very happy so far. I've tried Inox - I bought some on line easily here in the UK - it seems fine but I think it also has a lubricant in it which is not always helpful.

2 hours ago, n9 said:

I've been tempted by these products, but they usually come with a warning regarding traction tyres. Have you found that to be a problem?

As Mike Buckner says.

No problem with traction types or plastic wheels.

It evaporates so quickly, it'll never get near them.

Remember though, A clean cloth or pad every time, otherwise you could be laying down dirt.

Dave.

1 hour ago, dasatcopthorne said:

As Mike Buckner says.

No problem with traction types or plastic wheels.

It evaporates so quickly, it'll never get near them.

Remember though, A clean cloth or pad every time, otherwise you could be laying down dirt.

Dave.

Not sure if we missed each other. I was referring to Inox and the WD40 Contact Cleaner, and I think you might be referring to White Spirit? Either way, good to know White Spirit might be a better option than IPA.

My appreciation to:-

n9

dasatcopthorne

Mike Buckner

Gilbert

for taking the time to reply and your advice.

I have emailed DCC train automation and am waiting reply as product not in stock.

I have ordered some from Pendle Slot Racing.

Interesting to find what others are using WD 40 and white spirit.

Thanks again everyone, Bill.

• RMweb Premium

I note that top of that list is kerosene, so if you happen to have oil (kerosene) central heating you may well have a few hundred litres of the stuff in a tank in your garden.