Lifting section with hinges below, or lift out?

29 minutes ago, ITG said:

I think these hinges are used for upward opening doors, as used, for example, on bedroom bridging units, rather than vertically opening kitchen cabinets doors.

The hinges used on upward opening kitchen cabinet doors available from the likes of IKEA contain springs of a strength that is appropriate to the weight of the door, as they have to be able to support it in the raised position, but not be so strong that you have trouble closing it again!   Depending on the requirements of your layout, they may not prove to be strong enough for the job.  I imagine bedroom bridging units would have the same type of hinge, but needing to support a bigger door would require stronger springs.

7 hours ago, ITG said:

As I hinted at in my original post, those kitchen cabinet hinges come in many different configurations.  I suspect the model used by @jcm@gwr is one that actually lifts the hinged surface away from the fixed base. (Not all similar hinges do that). Thus, that lift away keeps the rail ends apart, as they separate as they open.

I think these hinges are used for upward opening doors, as used, for example, on bedroom bridging units, rather than vertically opening kitchen cabinets doors. Or they maybe those used on corner unit doors, which are double hinged. 
i can feel a visit to a small independent kitchen fitter is needed to identify the right version.

Ian

I think the technical name is a Rising Butt Hinge, used to lift doors up over carpet, for example.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, eastglosmog said:

I think the technical name is a Rising Butt Hinge, used to lift doors up over carpet, for example.

Thanks, but I’m not sure that’s what I’m after. That kind of hinge lifts the door (in the carpet example) vertically in the plane of the (vertical) door itself. So surely if used as a hinge on a horizontal  lifting section, the effect of this hinge would be to move that section inwards or outwards, not vertically? Unless you can convince me otherwise.

What I’m after, and hence the reference to kitchen/bedroom cabinet hinges, is a horizontally mounted hinge which lifts the opening section vertically.

But thanks, I’m fast becoming an amateur student of hinges!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

So do you need a removable or lifting section at all?

My layout crosses an outward opening doorway and we just duck under.  After several years it is not a problem.

I would just leave it fixed and avoid all the trouble and hassle.

Ian

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, ikcdab said:

My layout crosses an outward opening doorway and we just duck under.  After several years it is not a problem.

Ian

I had a duck under on the previous now dismantled layout. Although the room was 75% trains, various household paperwork files were also stored there, and I found that it presented a barrier to keeping them neat and tidy. “Oh I’ll just throw that in there for now” rather than actually entering the room to open the right drawer to file it. The lift up or hinged section is my effort to keep neat!

And also to enable easy walk in to do quick train jobs.

Ian

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, ikcdab said:

Ian

It would be interesting to know your age - by your mid-seventies, you may have a different perspective!

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, eastglosmog said:

Not 'rising butts', these are spiral in nature, and the door rises as it opens

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

It would be interesting to know your age - by your mid-seventies, you may have a different perspective!

CJI.

15 years until i get to my mid-70s.....